If you have a picky eater come in... — The Bump
Parenting

If you have a picky eater come in...

DD is 3 1/2 and all she wants to eat is PB&J, Pizza, Mac & Cheese and Pop Tarts.  I give her all kinds of stuff but she refuses to eat it. She almost always get what we eat for dinner unless its something thats not really kid friendly. I don't give in and make her anything else unless she by chance trys a couple of bites then if she tells me she doesn't like it, then I will give her a bowl of cereal (like Kix or cheerios).  I have tryed everything that I can think of to get her to try new foods but nothing seems to work.  I have even started to let her help me make the food thinking she would want to eat what she makes. Doesn't work she still pushes it away.  I am out of ideas.  My question is how have/did you get you picky eater to start eatting or just be a little less picky? Thanks!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: If you have a picky eater come in...

• Quit giving her cereal if she doesn't eat her meals. And quit letting pbj, pizza and poptarts be options until she starts eating more of a variety. Most kids won't starve to death. 

• image ghm:

Quit giving her cereal if she doesn't eat her meals. And quit letting pbj, pizza and poptarts be options until she starts eating more of a variety. Most kids won't starve to death. 

100% agree.  You're being way too easy on her. 

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• GEEEEEE... thanks for the advice guess you  didnt understand the question.

Hopefully you dont give advice to anyone else. 

BTW... There not options anymore and havent been for awhile the only option she gets is cereal.  AND I dont believe in letting my kid starve sorry I'm not that kind of parent.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DS1 is my picky eater.  He tends to go through spurts on eating though because sometimes he will eat like a teenage boy.  A few things that I find helps:

*allowing him to eat his meat with sauce: ketcup, sweet and sour, honey mustard, etc

*I used to separate his taco stuff just b/c that's how DD liked it but found he liked it better all together in the taco, there is quite a few things that were like that (DD liked but DS didn't...just had to adjust to him)

*If I don't feel he ate well, I save his plate and when he says he is hungry,  I pull it back out for him and remind him he doesn't get a snack until he eats dinner

*I try to cook at least one thing that I know the kids will eat well (usually a side or have bread with dinner)

*the only time you will get a separate meal for dinner at my house is if we are having fajitias or something spicy (of course they can try it) but generally then I make quesidillas.

*for breakfast, i am a short order cook.   They know the list of possibilities.  DS1 usually picks waffles, cereal, or nutella toast (but will pick others), if you come back and ask for something else, you are offered fruit or yogurt

*if they are really hungry or dinner is running late, I give them fresh fruit or frozen peas (the only way DS1 will eat them) to tide them over 

*if we were planning on snacks/desserts, sometimes I bribe "eat X # of bites and you can have your snack." 

*we also try help with making:  DS1 is very eager to help with making meat loaf... 

I don't believe in starving my kids either but I look as it as they were not starved, they chose not to eat.  They were offered food.   I think by you allowing her the option to eat cereal every night, therefore, allows her not to have to try new foods.   So, the pps are suggesting you are creating your own monster...stop offering cereal and she will be "forced" by biology to try new things.  Good luck!

p.s. the foods you listed are some of DS1's favs too but he has a longer list of things he will eat well... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, sorry. Giving your kid cereal is telling her if she refuses to eat healthy food, she'll get what she wants. You're letting her run the show. Now be a parent and put your foot down. 

I fully understood the question. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards