August 2011 Moms

Facebook labor updates?

One of my best friends is in labor right now, and her husband is posting continual updates on how dilated she is, that her water broke, that she's completely effaced, etcetera. My husband (who is pretty modest) commented that now the whole world knows how open her cervix is.

So what do you think of such personal updates? Will you (or your husband) be sharing that info? Do you think it's TMI or not? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic First step, conquer the crib. Then, the world! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Facebook labor updates?

• TMI.  I don't go on Facebook.
  • While we won't be sharing that info, I don't think anything bad about those who do.

I had a friend who recently did this and I loved knowing where she was (esp. since she was late and we had all been on baby watch).
    Knowing how open someone's cervix is doesn't seem like TMI, to me at least.

BFP #1 - BFP #2 - Blog
    <3 and Luck to my BFPB StephK!!- Emma is here!!

• Loading the player...
  • I'll probably update every so often how dilated I am. A lot of my family and friends will be following me through facebook for the updates. Especially people like my grandmother who I can't text but who will want to be hearing what I'm going through from me and who I honestly don't want to talk to on the phone during the process.

I don't think it's TMI at all, but that's just me. I know there will be some people who will think so but everyone differs on opinions. 

• CBC08CBC08 member
    I should probably clarify that it's not TMI to me either. I think it's fun to know how far along she is and I'd be curious if there were no updates! DH's reaction just got me wondering how others feel about it- but I do realize I am married to a pretty bashful man! Surprise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic First step, conquer the crib. Then, the world! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • zenmazenma member

Yeah, we won't post anything until after he's out and we're home.

First off I could see me going into false labor or something and then having to be back-peddle and feel like an idiot. Secondly, I'll need DH focusing on me and helping me through contractions... not on Facebook.

To each their own but I don't think all 100+ of my friends need to know that I'm 8cm dilated, 90% effaced, and at station 1.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • eesomeeesome member

I don't see it as TMI. You are only sharing the progress of the birth...it's not like they are showing crotch shots of the actual delivery. lol

When I go into labor (or surgery), I plan to update that I am in labor and going to the hospital. I then will post AFTER baby is here and announce the news with baby's info. That is more my style.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Most of it is TMI. I can understand announcing that you are headed to the hospital or something like that, and then updating once the baby has been born. But anything in between is too much.

My SIL had to go in the night before to get some of the cervix ripening medicine. Her dad posted on fb about getting another grandson the next day. There were several comments and then SHE commented about how she could really feel the cream on her cervix working. NO ONE touched the post after that. Definitely TMI!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Our First Baby - Jax born 08/27/2009 BFP #2 01/27/2010 - Natural Miscarriage - 02/20/2010 @ 9w BFP #3 12/26/2010 - EDD 08/27/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am on FB and I will not be updating the world on my vagina... Lol I won't even be posting until he is here. I just don't see why people need to know.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Personally, I think it's a little TMI for Facebook...I will only update once the baby arrives! No need for everyone to know how dilated I am.
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I share A LOT... I post a weekly belly pic and other updates on our family's life since my family and friends live in mostly different states. HOWEVER, we did not even think about posting updates while I was in labor... we were so focused on having a baby.
  • i think it's a little bit too much for facebook, but probably depends on who is on your friend list. I have people on there who i haven't seen since middle school.  if you only have close friends and family, i guess it's up to you.  If i saw someone that i barely know posting that, i would think it was a little odd.
  • imageeesome:

I don't see it as TMI. You are only sharing the progress of the birth...it's not like they are showing crotch shots of the actual delivery. lol

When I go into labor (or surgery), I plan to update that I am in labor and going to the hospital. I then will post AFTER baby is here and announce the news with baby's info. That is more my style.

All of this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • To each their own. I certainly won't be updating the FB world on the status of my vagina, cervix, etc. I'll probably do one once I'm admitted since so much of our family is spread across the country, but family will get phone calls/texts once the baby arrives, and FB will find out later or through all of them posting on my wall.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • megd06megd06 member

While it's obviously a VERY personal part of our bodies, it temporarily becomes a common topic of conversation during pregnancy, especially labor--so while I didn't do that while in labor with DS, I don't side-eye people that do. If nothing else, it keeps those annoying "is the baby here yet????" questions at bay once you go into labor.

One reason we didn't do that when I was in labor with DS was we didn't want a lot of people knowing we were at the hospital--mainly, members from our church who were known to just "pop in" when women were in labor. We don't have that problem this time (we live in a different state) and only have a few friends here, and wouldn't mind them showing up to wait in the waiting room while I'm in labor.

• atackatack member
    Way too much information for the world to see and my husband doesn't have facebook so he'd be clueless on how to do it anyways :o)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Waaaay TMI
  • I will not be doing that, and I will kill DH if he does! haha I'm sure DH will contact those who should be contacted, and actually would like to know those things, (some family, close friends) But not all people on facebook want to know that stuff. 

TMI in my opinion!  

10.2.10 Married my best friend! 12.26.10 BFP 8.27.11 Baby Logan's born
  • imageeesome:

All of THIS!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will probably post when I go into labor and then again when Baby Alex is born. I think we will be too busy otherwise. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind those posts. We lots of friends and family who lives a distance away and might like knowing. 

• BK33BK33 member
    ummm no.  When I get home with my baby I may post "he's here!" but that's all FB needs to know.
  • I have a lot of family out of state who I am friends with on facebook. I wouldn't go as far as telling them every detail. I'd prob just make a short post that I'm in labor and then another when the baby arrives just so they are clued in.
  • I don't plan to post anything until the baby is born. I have no desire to read about how dilated/effaced someone else is. A quick "we're in labor" is fine but anything more is TMI IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i'm a FB addict and i think that's TMI
  • imagemooninlv:
    i'm a FB addict and i think that's TMI

I do too.  There's no need.  I don't want my DH spending time on the phone, updating the world as to what's going on.  I want him to be focusing on me, his children, and this once in a lifetime opportunity.  Simply posting when we're leaving and then updating once the babies arrive is more than enough information.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I posted on facebook earlier today that I'm 2cm dialated and 50% effaced and asked my friends on there to say a little prayer that this baby stays cooking longer. Most of my friends have had their own kids anyways, so I don't even think about it being TMI.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Ummmm... NOT HAPPENING! I do have a friend that is due tomorrow and her DH is so obsessed with FB that he will probably be doing this same thing.  I personally think that there is no reason that the entire world needs to know that I am in labor.  I am probably going to call my parents and DH parents to let them know that we are going to the hospital and leave it at that until LO is here.
  • We will post on FB once our LO arrives. My labor status will be communicated by phone to immediate family and friends. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers/Users/udeozo/Desktop/MS30.jpg
  • One of my best friends went into labor yesterday, and her mom posted an update instead. Then there were no updates until their little girl arrived. I will say that I was curious all day about how she was doing, but I understood why they didn't post during the labor and delivery. I think when I go in I will let my sister post something on her wall (I will be too busy to do it myself on mine), and then I will post a picture after she is born with her name. And I don't think I will post any dilation updates or anything like that. Anyone who needs to know how I am progressing, will. 
  • I think its a little TMI.. I'm on facebook but I will not be sharing any of that with facebook. We will update our family as needed by phone or text. For Facebook, we won't post anything until after he arrives and we know he's safe and everyone is doing well. I don't think my random friends from high school need to know how dialated I am or that I started pushing. Plus DH HATES facebook so he would never post these updates for me even if I wanted him too haha. Once he's here we will post a picture and stats for him. 
  • imageeesome:

You said it girl. And for us, there will be very few people that will be informed that I am in labor or even at the hospital. Most people will get an update (and facebook) when we're finally home and settled. I will not, however, post the baby's name and stats and birthday on FB. I've read a lot lately about babies identities being stolen from those types of posts. Apparently it's a big thing these days...

• I have a text message list of those who will know that I'm going to the hospital and when she's out.  As far as my cervix goes, it doesn't need any Facebook status updates.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"