Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How do I stop the comfort nursing?

DD2 sleeps in our room in a co-sleeper and will normally wake up about 1 or 2am and then comes into bed with us. I have no problem bed sharing but she wants to comfort nurse the entire time.

May be kind of a stupid question but how do I get her to just sleep in our bed instead of comfort nursing the whole time? My shoulders can't take much more of sleeping like that.  Or is it just a lost cause and I should keep her out of our bed? (: ( )

ETA: We are trying to drop the nuk before she gets too attached it so I don't want to use that instead..... 

Re: How do I stop the comfort nursing?

• Id love to know how. My boob is just about the only thing that my LO finds comforting, it can be exhausting, and def uncomfortable when bedsharing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just curious, why do you want to drop the Nuk at this point? If DS had taken a paci, I'd rather he use that than my boob all night!

I just pop DS off the boob when I realize he's fallen asleep/almost asleep. Sometimes if he starts getting restless when he's in bed with me and I can catch him just right by patting or shushing him, he'll fall back asleep. Other times he keeps fussing until I give him the boob...it's about 50/50. So I guess I don't really have any advice. I think with time she'll need it less, but you may need to work on other means of soothing her without letting her have the breast until you find something that works.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would just use the nuk.  Babies have a really strong urge to suck for at least 6 month, maybe longer.  You're fighting nature.  You can take away the paci when she's a little older.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• imageDreamsicle23:
    I would just use the nuk.  Babies have a really strong urge to suck for at least 6 month, maybe longer.  You're fighting nature.  You can take away the paci when she's a little older.

This.

It's either use a paci or kill my shoulders / knees, for us. So, we easily chose paci. He doesn't always need it to fall asleep, but it's more when he's asleep and starts kind of whimpering awake, then he falls back asleep without hurting my joints.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Can you comfort nurse in a more comfortable position (laid back nursing, side-laying, baby sits next to you (facing you) and semi-lays to nurse, etc.) until LO is ready to give it up? Can you cuddle LO skin-to-skin while you sleep and give her the pacifier (and then get over that later on)?
  • Thanks ladies

Maybe I will try the paci a little longer at least until she doesn't need that sucking comfort any longer. The pedi had suggested getting rid of it by 6 months so she doesn't become a paci addict but I'm in serious need of a decent night sleep.  

• DS sleeps next to me in bed and I sleep topless so he just uses me as a pacifier all night if he wants to. But he's doing it less and less so I assume he's starting to grow out of the need to be constantly sucking. If she still needs to suck, I'd let her, be it on your breast or on a pacifier. But maybe you can find a more comfy  position? Personally, we find that laying down, belly to belly is the best position for us overall (DS often takes his daytime meals like that too). I put a pillow behind me for support and lay my head on another pillow to support my neck. And at night I keep a pillow between my knees.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Google pantley pull off.

Also, strap the girls in and turn your back to him once he's finished.

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"