Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Daycare fieldtrip?

I went to pick Aiden up at daycare today and they informed they'd be going on a fieldtrip tomorrow into the city -taking the subway.  There are a bunch of free things every Friday in the summer and they're taking all the kids and asked me if that was ok.  I was surprised that they didn't give ANY notice and sort of just said yes, do you need a stroller (they have one).  When I told DH he wasn't fond of the idea at all and now I'm not so sure myself :-/  I can keep him home tomorrow but what if they want to do a free event every Friday?  We can't take every Friday off from now until Labor Day.  Am I being a paranoid FTM?
Formerly known as elmoali :)

Re: Daycare fieldtrip?

• I would not feel comfortable with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh fuuck that!  I wouldn't want anyone aside from me or my hubbs to take Asher on the subway and into the city.  Seriously, I would not want him to go. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • I would not be ok with that.  I'd keep him home tomorrow and talk to them in the monday.  Tell them you're not comfortable with him being out and you'll need someone to stay with him at the daycare in the future. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • That just seems dangerous.  If they were going somewhere like the library I would be okay but just out to the city on subways is asking for an issue with young children.  I would be keeping my dd home and talking to them on Monday about it for sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Ali do you have tomorrow off?  If not I can take Aiden for the day. 

Infertility

My Spring Babies! 
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • IMHO it is not ok.  We had a story recently around here where a two year old died on a daycare field trip.  Not to scare you but I think under 4 or 5 is too young.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DS goes to an in-home DCP, and they go on field trips every Friday. However, they travel by a small school bus that she owns and it's never to the "city". Today they went to a planetarium, and the week before they went to a petting zoo/dairy farm/ice cream shop. Things like that.

I'd feel uncomfortable with it, especially given the fact they didn't give you any prior notice.

imageimageimage

• imagePrettyInPearls23:

DS goes to an in-home DCP, and they go on field trips every Friday. However, they travel by a small school bus that she owns and it's never to the "city". Today they went to a planetarium, and the week before they went to a petting zoo/dairy farm/ice cream shop. Things like that.

I'd feel uncomfortable with it, especially given the fact they didn't give you any prior notice.

Umm Brody is adorable!

Infertility

My Spring Babies! 
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I would definitely not feel comfortable with them taking them on a field trip at such a young age... If you were to decline for him to go on the field trip, is there not a way for him to stay in the infant room for the day? Instead of you having to keep him out of DCP all day?
  • There's no way for him to stay behind - it's an in home DCP and both providers are going.  There's no way I can stay home every Friday if they want to take advantage of all these free events.  Ugh.

• I'd be totally fine with it...but I'm a slacker mom who doesn't really care about anything other than imminent death.  I think they should have given you more notice though.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Hmm. tough one. I would be uncomfortable too esp since they didn't tell you until today & also don't seem to have told you if they plan to do other things this summer? I think maybe I would not let him go this time and find out if they're doing more stuff like that on Fridays this summer & make decisions with more time & info.
  • I would not be comfortable with it either. Plus, we are still at the stage where I want to be there to see his firsts.  I would hate being at work knowing that I was missing out on something with DS.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • My ds goes on field trips with his daycare.  They walk on NYC streets so I was worried.  I went on one trip at the beginning to see how well they were organized, how many chaperones they had and whether they ever took their eyes off the kids.  I was impressed with my particular daycare.  They had more than enough people to chaperone, they must have counted the kids 100 times and the kids were never able just to run around- they were always herded in groups where they needed to be with a teacher in front and in back so no one was slipping through the cracks. 

Having said all that- I dread field trips.  I feel comfortable enough to let ds go, but I bought wristbands for ds from mabel's labels that he must wear (with our phone numbers and his name).  I try to go whenever I can.  They are going to the zoo in a few weeks via subway and you better believe, I'm going on that trip!

So bottom line, go with them.  See how the teacher runs it.  Then decide if you're comfortable with it or not.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I would not be ok with it at only a year old, but might feel better at least at age 3 (after potty trained). I think one is a little young for a trip like that. I worked at a daycare in NYC and we took 3-year-olds on walking trips and once went on the subway. It was very safe and organized, but I would not take children younger than 3.

ETA: If you are off or plan to take off, I would offer to chaperone the trip so you can evaluate how it goes and see if you would be comfortable for future trips.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageJillAly:

My ds goes on field trips with his daycare.  They walk on NYC streets so I was worried.  I went on one trip at the beginning to see how well they were organized, how many chaperones they had and whether they ever took their eyes off the kids.  I was impressed with my particular daycare.  They had more than enough people to chaperone, they must have counted the kids 100 times and the kids were never able just to run around- they were always herded in groups where they needed to be with a teacher in front and in back so no one was slipping through the cracks. 

Having said all that- I dread field trips.  I feel comfortable enough to let ds go, but I bought wristbands for ds from mabel's labels that he must wear (with our phone numbers and his name).  I try to go whenever I can.  They are going to the zoo in a few weeks via subway and you better believe, I'm going on that trip!

So bottom line, go with them.  See how the teacher runs it.  Then decide if you're comfortable with it or not.

Great advice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Unfortunately, I really can't go.  I took the day off because I have things I need to do.  I can do SOME of them if I keep him home but definitely not all but I for sure can't get any of them done if I go on this field trip.  I know he'll be in the stroller because I specifically asked about that and I KNOW they take great care of him and will do the same on this outing.  I've just never gone through this before and am imagining the worst.

• How many kids we talking here?

I'll say this. I have served in admin at day care centers and fought this battle.  IMO, little kids have no business on field trips. For that matter, park, post office, pet store, locally, can make nice field trips for LITTLE kids.  If you start taking them to massive large events, what is there left for them to enjoy as school age children? PLUS so many of the staff you find working in centers aren't thinking about what's best for kids, they are thinking about having a good time themselves. I know you said this was a home day care, so not the same thing, but it could be relevant.

• Depends on the ratio...if there were 2 adults. and only 4-5 kids, and some would be in strollers, then probably. Otherwise, no.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No thanks. My DD doesnt need to go on fieldtrips at her age. Maybe when they are older.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"