Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Anyone else have a poor, abused LO as well?

DS hates his carseat. He seriously acts like he's being tortured when he's in it in the car. It's an absolute nightmare going anywhere with him in the car and he's 2 months old now. I really thought he'd have outgrown this by now, but not so much!

I've tried NO music, then all types of music, the Wubbanub (he knocks it out), toys, a lovie, talking to him, holding his hand at red lights, white noise, etc. Nothing works. 

I got home with him today (heaven forbid I need to get groceries) and he was a sweating, blubbering mess. (Not sweating from heat, but from screaming the whole way home)

I used to pull over and try to comfort him, but it doesn't help once he's back in the car seat. 

Anyone else? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else have a poor, abused LO as well?

• Options
    Maybe get some of those clip-on carseat toys to distract him?
    Cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, C-section Mama Photobucket
  • Options
    Its either love or hate with us. Either she is totally silent or she is screaming like you described, she hates being put in it and being strapped down because she loves to stretch. I used to do the same thing (pull over and try and comfort) but it always started back up as soon as we were in the car again. Then if she does quiet down the second I slow down or have to stop at a red light she starts up again! I have no advise, but hope someone else does for both our cases!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haha...sounds like my son.  I keep saying to my mom, "I thought cars were supposed to calm babies."  Nope...he hates going in the car.  If he is asleep, it is wonderful.  But if he starts crying, he won't stop.  It makes me nervous because we have a 2.5 hour carride coming up in a few weeks.  That's gonna be bad!
  • Options

imageatkinson4545:
    Its either love or hate with us. Either she is totally silent or she is screaming like you described, she hates being put in it and being strapped down because she loves to stretch. I used to do the same thing (pull over and try and comfort) but it always started back up as soon as we were in the car again. Then if she does quiet down the second I slow down or have to stop at a red light she starts up again! I have no advise, but hope someone else does for both our cases!

This is exactly how it is for my LO too. I hope she grows out of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageatkinson4545:
    she hates being put in it and being strapped down because she loves to stretch. I used to do the same thing (pull over and try and comfort) but it always started back up as soon as we were in the car again. Then if she does quiet down the second I slow down or have to stop at a red light she starts up again!

It's a little better now but she still screams when we strap her in... if we don't start the car quick enough... if there's a red light or stop sign... hoping it continues to get better! Stopping to reassure her doesn't work, neither do toys, the dog, music. I feel terrible like I am testing out the CIO method... she definitely does NOT cry it out!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

i was just saying this today!  I thought babies loved the car??? wtf

the clip on toys don't work, classical music doesn't work, talking to him, singing, shhhing, binky (w/wubbanub), NOTHING works!!!

When we have to go somewhere, I sit in back and hubby drives. Problem: hubby works M-F 9-5.  I am basically trapped in my house, or subject to a hysterical baby. It's awful!  The weirdest part is- I don't think it's the carseat... he loves walks and we use a snap n go stroller...?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    EcyEcy member
    When you have another adult with you that can drive, does it make it better if you ride in the back with them?  My niece hates the car as well but does fine when my brother drives and my sis-n-law rides in the back with her.  She's 4 months old.
  • Options
    Same problem here. We even tried a different style car seat thinking he just hated his Chicco. Nope. It made no difference. We had a 5 hour drive to the in-laws a couple weeks ago. He spent 4 hours of it crying. Riding in the back with him does no good. Once he realizes I'm not going to take him out and hold him, he's just more pissed that I'm sitting back there taunting him with my presence. It's gotten to the point where I just turn on music and go. Every now and then when I turn on something really loud - like Rihanna - and he'll pass out. Huh? 
  • Options

imageEcy:
    When you have another adult with you that can drive, does it make it better if you ride in the back with them?  My niece hates the car as well but does fine when my brother drives and my sis-n-law rides in the back with her.  She's 4 months old.

Yes! I think she doesnt like riding backwards because all she can see is the seat and thinks she is alone even though she can hear my voice. I bought one of those mirrors that attach to the headrest but she is still too young to use it to see me in the rearview. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Check your baby's carseat straps. If they are too tight, that is most likely the culprrit. 2 fingers should fit above the shoulders and at the crotch. Strap tightness is serious business.
  • Options
    Just lurking over here, but thought I'd chime in because DD was the same way.  Turns out that she hated the fuzzy car seat strap covers with a passion.  It never occurred to me until one day when I had taken them off to clean and she rode without making a sound.  GL!
  • Options
    Both of my boys are/were like this.  He turns purple and can barely breathe because he is so hysterical!  What I learned from DS1 is to plan trips when I know he is tired and will sleep in the car.  For example, if he eats and then is awake and playing for a while, I'll take him in the car after playtime.  Good luck, it does get better but it takes a while.  DS1 is great in the car now!
    DS1 June 12, 2009
    DS2 May 19, 2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagehurricanepayne89:
    Check your baby's carseat straps. If they are too tight, that is most likely the culprrit. 2 fingers should fit above the shoulders and at the crotch. Strap tightness is serious business.

This. Even if they are slightly tight, they hurt. LO kept screaming last week and I couldn't calm her down, sure enough the straps around her legs were too tight.  

• Options
    imageLHC2011:
    Haha...sounds like my son.  I keep saying to my mom, "I thought cars were supposed to calm babies."  Nope...he hates going in the car.  If he is asleep, it is wonderful.  But if he starts crying, he won't stop.  It makes me nervous because we have a 2.5 hour carride coming up in a few weeks.  That's gonna be bad!
    this. and i just tried hooking a toy to his car this week and it seemed to work. it kept his attention until he eventually fell asleep. it could have been coincidence but im thinking positively. best of luck..but im glad my kid isnt the only one that  loathes his seat
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yep, our LO hates his car seat too.  he's good for about 10-15 minutes but then will scream his little head off until we take him out.  most shopping trips i end up having to carry him around the store. sometimes, and only sometimes, blasting an untuned AM station will help calm him down when in the car.
    TTC #2 Since October 2012
    BFP 11.1.12/EDD 7.7.13 MMC 12.4.12 D&E 12.10.12
    BFP 3.25.13/EDD 11.29.13 MC 4.6.13
    BFP 8.20.13 early MC 8.24.13
    BFP 9.20.13/EDD 6.5.14 Hoping & Praying this is our Rainbow Baby

• Options
    Mine did the same thing...my problem was a combo of too-tight straps and too hot/sweaty. Got a liner thing for the seat and now she's great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"