1st Trimester
Options

Newbie here wondering if it's bad to start a new business...

Hi, ladies,

I just found out I was pregnant yesterday (yay!/shock-- planned but still), and I'm also in the middle of buying a little coffee shop business that I want to make a bakery and coffee shop.

Is that a bad idea or no big deal?  The current owner is a really nice lady who, when I said I just found out I was pregnant, said, "Oh, you don't want to take this on while you're pregnant, do you?"

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.  It hadn't occurred to me that it would be an issue, but what do you all think?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Re: Newbie here wondering if it's bad to start a new business...

• Options
    My opinion is that it really is going to depend on how you handle your pregnancy. A new business can be a lot of work and a source for a lot of stress. A what happens if you are put on bed rest or have someother reason that might keep you from being able to go, go, go, do you have people you can trust to take over for you until your feeling better? Just some things to think about.
    photo a436e47a-1fc7-4b2c-aee9-dc94f8169c1f_zpsbbb152f9.jpg photo 301d07a6-bea2-41ae-8e5b-30e66a49659d_zps6d6599b3.jpg photo 80f355e8-ba3f-48d5-aeb4-f6f4c1c72f6e_zps8e4fac15.jpg BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think it really depends on how you are feeling and handling your pregnancy, and how turn-key this business will be. How much physical work are you going to have to put into this to get it up and running? Do you think you can handle it through your pregnancy? Do you have a backup, a partner, or employees that will be able to cover for you and help if you have complications and have to go on bedrest? What do you plan on doing once the baby arrives regarding a maternity leave, and possible child care? And most importantly, do you have a business plan?  

I am a small business owner myself, though I run mine from home. I started mine a few years before we started our family. But I do know that the business start-up phase can be the most stressful period of all.  Really think through what you are doing. It is not a bad idea, but you need to be sure you have the mental (and possibly physical) stamina to handle it all.

Best of luck!! 

My Boys
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRunswithwolves:
    My opinion is that it really is going to depend on how you handle your pregnancy. A new business can be a lot of work and a source for a lot of stress. A what happens if you are put on bed rest or have someother reason that might keep you from being able to go, go, go, do you have people you can trust to take over for you until your feeling better? Just some things to think about.

Thanks-- you're right.  There is one person who works for the current owner who she said she'd recommend keeping, so that's one possibility, but I'd have to see.

Lots to think about, though.

Thanks again. :-)

• Options
    imagemeg&jeff:

I think it really depends on how you are feeling and handling your pregnancy, and how turn-key this business will be. How much physical work are you going to have to put into this to get it up and running? Do you think you can handle it through your pregnancy? Do you have a backup, a partner, or employees that will be able to cover for you and help if you have complications and have to go on bedrest? What do you plan on doing once the baby arrives regarding a maternity leave, and possible child care? And most importantly, do you have a business plan?  

I am a small business owner myself, though I run mine from home. I started mine a few years before we started our family. But I do know that the business start-up phase can be the most stressful period of all.  Really think through what you are doing. It is not a bad idea, but you need to be sure you have the mental (and possibly physical) stamina to handle it all.

Best of luck!! 

It's pretty turn-key-- adding the bakery portion is optional, and I don't have to do it now.  I'm glad to hear you're doing well-- and I'll just hope I can power through what I need to get done now.

Thanks! :-)

• Options
    I think it depends on what sort of plan you have and how flexible you can be income wise.  I am working on starting my own consulting service sometime next year-- I am currently taking classes to become board certified in my field.  I am going to have to figure out how to balance recruiting new clients and building a business while I am needing to pay student loans and afford daycare, but we live off of my husband's income and benefits for the most part.  I am trying to plan for how to time things now to make sure I can make that minimum to start out or close to.
  • Options

imagekyethra:
    I think it depends on what sort of plan you have and how flexible you can be income wise.  I am working on starting my own consulting service sometime next year-- I am currently taking classes to become board certified in my field.  I am going to have to figure out how to balance recruiting new clients and building a business while I am needing to pay student loans and afford daycare, but we live off of my husband's income and benefits for the most part.  I am trying to plan for how to time things now to make sure I can make that minimum to start out or close to.

Good point.  We're also living off my husband's income and benefits, so it will be less stressful.  I'm also buying an established business, so it has a built-in clientele, great location, etc.  I'm just trying to add a little something extra to it. :-)

Thanks for your feedback, and good luck with your business, too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"