January 2012 Moms
Options

PSA: Start preparing your pets sooner rather than later!

In case you haven't yet. 

(Thank you to pixy_stix for letting me repost her PSA's) 

It's really important that you start baby proofing your dogs now.  Not later, not just before the baby arrives, not "oh we'll just bring blankets home from the hospital for them to smell,"  but NOW.  This also goes for cats.  The more you work with them now, the less problems you'll have later on.

Yes, ALL dogs need a little refresher course right now, even the best-trained ones.  Even if you think your dog is good with children because your friends/brothers/sisters/neighbors come over with their baby, they'll react differently when the baby is yours and in your house constantly.

For both dogs and cats, set up any baby furniture and equipment as soon as you get it. This lets them get used to the new things before the baby arrives. Turn on gear and toys that move, make noise, light up, etc. Cats in particular do not adapt well to change, so consider using calming tools like Feliway, a DAP diffuser, or Rescue Remedy drops (which go in their water).

Some good links to help you start the process:

1. Babies and Beasts Blog - What one mother did to baby proof her dogs.  Incredibly thorough. 
  2. Humane Society of the US's tips for introducing pets and baby
  3. NILIF - Nothing in Life is Free - Positive way to assert dominance (and ultimately peace) in your household. (Concrete ways to implement can be found here.)

In addition, there are several mothers of both human children and canine and/or feline pets on the Pets board. They are happy to answer questions.

If you have *any* behavior that you're worried about that you don't feel confident handling on your own, contact a behaviorist (not a trainer) immediately.

I am not doing this to start controversy, I see way too many people post about "re-homing" animals because of pregnancy or baby.  If you don't believe me go look on any cities CL pets section.

Re: PSA: Start preparing your pets sooner rather than later!

• Options

I'm the one who posted the PSA on 2nd Tri that Misty mentioned.

I also wanted to add, be prepared to train your CHILD in addition to your pet. Children need to be taught not to tug on fur, tails, or ears; not to hug or climb on pets; and to leave the pet alone while it is eating, chewing on a bone, or sleeping. I don't understand why people allow their children to do any of the above to their pets, and expect the pets to just sit there and take it. 

Also, DO NOT reprimand your dog for growling. Growling is an appropriate means of communication for a dog, and it is their way of saying, "I'm scared, that hurts, I want to be left alone, go away." When a dog is scolded for growling, they learn NOT to do it, and jump straight to biting.  

• Options
    Thanks for the links, mistym.  I am at work right now and AIM'd them to MH so we can both be on the same page.  I am excited to get to work with our 'first born' now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the links and info. This was the reason we cleaned out and painted the nursery so soon. I've heard the sooner the better:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP 1 on 10.30.10 spontaneous m/c on 12.28.10 at 12 weeks
    BFP 2 It's a girl! Born 1.18.12 at 39w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"