Eco-Friendly Family

Just made 4 quarts of yogurt using these directions

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/

I know we've had multiple yogurt discussions on here before but this was, I think, the easiest version that I've tried yet. It's in the fridge now so I don't know what the final consistency will be but it looked crazy thick through the jar when I popped it in there. I know that's always been a complaint in the past, that the homemade stuff comes out too runny for most people. I really like how low fuss this one was too. Plus I much preferred that the yogurt thickens up right in the containers that you make it in so you don't have to go transferring it all around. I did end up leaving mine in the cooler for closer to 6 hours rather than the required 3 since I went to run some errands that took way longer than anticipated. Since other recipes call for leaving it to culture overnight, I figured I was good!

I made a half gallon (two quart jars) of 1% and a half gallon of whole (we eat a lot of yogurt/ yogurt pops/ etc around here) for $7. This was local, organic, grass fed pastured cow milk. I couldn't have gotten 4 containers of Dannon for $7. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just made 4 quarts of yogurt using these directions

• Ooh let us know.  My kids are yogurt fiends.
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • This sounds great! I need to find a non-dairy option.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageannie357s:
    This sounds great! I need to find a non-dairy option.

Here you go - Coconut milk yogurt!

She makes it sound like you can do this with any type of milk. The only major difference from making cows milk yogurt is that she adds some honey or maple syrup to give the bacteria something to eat (the yogurt making process involves the good bacteria going to town on the milk sugars) - Not sure how necessary it is but maybe because there aren't the same milk sugars present in a non cow milk. She also uses a lower temperature (100-105 degrees) which is lower than I've ever seen for yogurt making. I can't see why it couldn't be a little higher since the bacteria are the same regardless of the base milk and the reason for the lower temperature is to not cook and kill the bacteria but also for the temp to be high enough for them to be active.

Basically what I'm saying is that you could probably do the same thing that I posted earlier but using coconut (or hemp/ almond/ soy) milk and maybe adding a bit of honey to it when you stir in the starter. 

I might have to try it myself!

• https://cookbookaficionado.wordpress.com/tag/non-dairy-yogurt/

Here's another one. This one is closer to my original (but with additional sugar - it does seem to be necessary for non cows milk yogurt but it gets eaten by the bacteria) She has you take the milk down from 180 (for killing harmful bacteria) to 120 then whisking in your starter and letting it mellow down from there.

• I'm interested in hearing how it turns out too.  We go through way too much YoBaby and YoToddler.  That stuff is expensive!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I wanted to make a fat free version for myself, so I make it in the crockpot with skim milk and nonfat powdered milk.  Here's what I do:

https://bornambitous-bornimaginative.blogspot.com/2011/03/yogurt.html

• She says not to use an opened container of yogurt as a starter.  Anyone try using an opened one?  I have a quart in the fridge already...
  • imagemrs.jlsprouse:
    She says not to use an opened container of yogurt as a starter.  Anyone try using an opened one?  I have a quart in the fridge already...

I've always used an opened one! I wonder what she does when she uses her homemade yogurt as a starter? Does she have a separate one that she saves just for when it's time to make new yogurt?!

• imagesmurfetteinred:

imagemrs.jlsprouse:
    She says not to use an opened container of yogurt as a starter.  Anyone try using an opened one?  I have a quart in the fridge already...

I've always used an opened one! I wonder what she does when she uses her homemade yogurt as a starter? Does she have a separate one that she saves just for when it's time to make new yogurt?!

Good point.

• imagesmurfetteinred:

imageannie357s:
    This sounds great! I need to find a non-dairy option.

Here you go - Coconut milk yogurt!

Thanks!!! I will have to give it a try!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm really excited to try this!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"