Eco-Friendly Family
Options

how to cut energy costs?

We just moved into a 2 year old townhouse (we are renting).  Before we lived in a little apt that had everything included in rent.  We tried to be careful but we didn't have to eat the cost.

We have already change all light bulbs that were easy to get to.  We have always washed in cold water but diapers are done in hot.  This is our first time with a dishwasher.  We are only running it when it is full so every 2nd or 3rd day.  We are washing big things by hand so we don't have to run the dishwasher as often.  

We have our laptop and phone chargers on a power bar which we turn off when not needed.  Right now a/c is set at 72.  It isn't that hot here compared to our last place.  We have only had to run it in the afternoons/early evening so far.  When DD goes to bed we have been able to sleep with windows open as it is cool enough and the house only starts to heat up between 10am and noon depending on how hot it is.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Re: how to cut energy costs?

• Options

It sounds like you are doing great things already!

One additional thing I do is run the dishwasher during an off peak time, usually in the middle of the night (mine has a delay start timer).

I think it's more difficult as a renter because it's not like you can make major changes to the house or plant shade trees.

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Options
    The a/c at 72 seems really low.  We keep ours at 78 usually.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMissyOlivePants:

Agreed except we don't have central air.

You could also look into insulating curtains which would block out the sun and hold in the cool air.  Might keep you from turning on your air at all if it's not that hot.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Can you use fans to circulate the air and make it feel cooler so you could raise your ac temps?  I also second the insulating curtains.  We put them on our southern windows and they work really well.  Check the water heater temp.  Turn off all electronics when you leave the house (we used to leave the computer up and running all the time, it sucks energy).  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLotte134:

imageMissyOlivePants:

Agreed except we don't have central air.

You could also look into insulating curtains which would block out the sun and hold in the cool air.  Might keep you from turning on your air at all if it's not that hot.

Wow 78 really!  I think I would die.  I'm from Canada and we didn't need a/c growing up and my parents still don't have it.  I doesn't kick in too much right now but my when it gets hotter.  I will try and set it a little higher.  Right now we only have curtains in DDs room we are waiting for the rental company to put blinds in.  Don't ask me why they were not here when we moved in.  

I also want to get an umbrella for the patio so DD can play out there which will help some.  

• Options
    THanks for the tips ladies!
  • Options
    Ditto MOP with the 78 a/c temp. That's what I keep mine on too. Also use your washer/dryer during off peek times, days for summer/nights for winter. Insulated curtains help a lot. I have them on every window that gets the hot time of the day. Oh and line dry as much as you can. Unplug light or other appliances you don't use that often.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"