Cloth Diapering

I'm not sure I'm feeling the Dropps love anymore...

I have raved about Dropps with our hard water and I really did love it, but we've been having some issues with our diapers (a little bit of stink that doesn't appear until DS pees, and browning of the diapers that sit in our pail) and I think I've connected those issues to the Dropps.

I do diaper laundry every other day. When DS pees and I change him, the inside of the diaper looks normal, but by the time I go to wash them (let's say I'm talking about a diaper removed on Mon. morning being washed on Tues night), the area where he peed has turned a brownish color.

We live in So Cal but are coastal--it's not humid and it's usually 70 degrees or less. I don't think washing every other day is too infrequent. I just wonder if something is happening between what's in the Dropps + hard water to cause this issue (I'm more concerned about the "browning" of the diapers than the slight odor when he pees). Sunning and extra rinses help the browning go away a little bit but not entirely. 

I think I'm going to switch detergents for a bit and see what happens--if the browning continues maybe I need to switch to a wet pail system?? I don't know... I wish I could figure this out. 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015

Re: I'm not sure I'm feeling the Dropps love anymore...

• I'm not sure if this is what is happening to your CDs, but I work in a nursing home and if pee-soaked bedsheets are left on a bed long enough, the urine stain turns a brownish color, starting at the edges.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemah482:
    I'm not sure if this is what is happening to your CDs, but I work in a nursing home and if pee-soaked bedsheets are left on a bed long enough, the urine stain turns a brownish color, starting at the edges.

So I guess it could be from the diapers sitting for too long. I guess it's just odd to me because I thought doing diaper laundry every-other-day was pretty standard. Maybe because DS is a heavy wetter and the diapers are holding more? 

• Loading the player...
  • We live in So Cal (coastal area) and have super hard water. We also just started using Dropps. I haven't noticed any browning yet. How long have you been using it? I would probably switch detergents to see if it helps. If it doesn't then you know it's something else...

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It could be from the hard water.  I know something in hard water can turn things kind of an orange (I believe it's iron).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesistersofjoan:
    We live in So Cal (coastal area) and have super hard water. We also just started using Dropps. I haven't noticed any browning yet. How long have you been using it? I would probably switch detergents to see if it helps. If it doesn't then you know it's something else...

A few months, at least. I got a 3-pack from Amazon. I'm thinking it's been at least 2 months, possibly more?

• imagehheyderh:
    It could be from the hard water.  I know something in hard water can turn things kind of an orange (I believe it's iron).

Yeah, at my parents house they used to have extreme amounts of iron in their water. We didn't have white clothes because we had to take them to the laundromat... and where there were sweat stains turned brown/orange (men's work shirts, underarm area, the exact spot on the sheets where my dad slept.)

You could probably get your water analyzed - I know they did, but I'm not sure how much it cost. They had to drill a new well (when it ran dry) and then the iron was gone.... Do you notice any build up on your dishwasher or anything? We always got awful build up on the racks and would have to use iron-out to get everything sparkly again...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"