Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

12 week old started refusing the bottle!!

I am breastfeeding and introduced the bottle at 5 weeks, she took it reluctantly at first but then did fine after that.  We gave her a few bottles a week.  Just two days before I returned to work she refused to take it and will either chew on it or just scream!  She hasn't eaten all day all week for my mother-in-law!  I have tried a few different bottles and she has tried different techniques to try to get her to take it with no luck!  Anyone else gone through something like this with success?? 

Re: 12 week old started refusing the bottle!!

• Options
    no advice sorry but could she need a faster nipple flow?
  • Options
    We went through this but when she was 9-10 weeks. I went to walmart and bought 6 different bottles and put 1 oz in each then tried them all, it was horrible and just pissed her off even more. After that (and a crying bout by me and being the only one who could feed her via BF) I stopped trying all bottles for about 10 days, then while at the airport and needing to give her a bottle instead of BFing becuase i forgot my nursing cover, she took it with no issues and we havent had an issue since. I am sorry I dont have more advise for you! I know you probably dont want to do this but have you tried giving her formula out of a bottle? My LO ended up perfering formula out of the bottle and breastmilk while BFing. We ended up using Dr Browns after starting out with BreastFlow at 4 weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I EBF my little girl but I pump as well...when I'd try to give her some BM w/a bottle she would always refuse it...I was using Avent bottles. I did a little research online and Playtex Naturalatch nipples got good reviews for babies that will go back and forth between BF'd and bottles...my daughter took to the nipple right away and I haven't had a problem since! I recommend those!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We hadn't given our LO a bottle in a few weeks but when DH tried the other night she refused... she kept chewing on the nipple and getting milk everywhere but her mouth. She was fine with a few bottles a week when I was pumping more but hates ALL pacifiers, I think now she also dislikes the plastic nipples.

Frustrating because I would like that little bit of freedom to get out for a few hours but maybe it isn't meant to be for now, I will keep trying - good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise!  I have heard good things about the Playtex natural latch so I'm going to go buy some of those...so frustrating!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"