Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Family portrait in a cemetary?

This is what my in-laws want to do tomorrow. They want to take a family portrait in front of the grave of DH's grandmother. DH is fine with this idea. I find it disturbing and I have no intention of participating. He says I should smile & go along with it. I think there are a million nice background places in Charlotte besides a cemetary.

Edit: removed the "s" from the word grave as she is buried in one grave and not spread out in various places.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Family portrait in a cemetary?

• There are some beautiful places in Charlotte for pictures. There is the rose garden across from Presbyterian Hospital and there is Myers Park as well. There are some gorgeous areas off of Queens (all 15 of them) lol!

And you of course have Lake Norman for pictures, and lots of places. Davidson & Cornelius are just a short drive up 77 and there are some parks, and Davidson college for pictures. The campus has a famous old well that is great for pictures.

• Huh?

I agree with you!

• Loading the player...
  • Even as someone who is very passionate about genealogy, I would not be taking a FAMILY picture at a cemetery. Apparently your H's family wants to somehow incorporate his grandmother in this picture though.

Ultimately if it were me though, I would smile and go along with it even if I disagreed, thought it was weird, etc. I think it will make you look disrespectful of THEIR family if you don't do it just because you find it disturbing. It isn't like you have to take a picture with your camera or buy a pic if they are having a professional do it.

• I wouldn't do it.  Can't you have a nice family portrait with pictures of the deceased in the background somewhere?  Not that I would do that either...

• Tongue Tied How very Adam's Family/ Six Feet Under like.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• imagelulupinkerton:

I wouldn't do it.  Can't you have a nice family portrait with pictures of the deceased in the background somewhere?  Not that I would do that either...

I like this idea. I will bring it up and see what they say. I just cannot take a family portrait in a cemetary. I know my inlaws and they will end up using that as a christmas card photo. They do some of the craziest crap you have ever seen

• imagehersheykiss:

There are some beautiful places in Charlotte for pictures. There is the rose garden across from Presbyterian Hospital and there is Myers Park as well. There are some gorgeous areas off of Queens (all 15 of them) lol!

And you of course have Lake Norman for pictures, and lots of places. Davidson & Cornelius are just a short drive up 77 and there are some parks, and Davidson college for pictures. The campus has a famous old well that is great for pictures.

Dh's grandfather lives in Sharon Towers which is a beautiful retirement community. I'm going to look up those places to see how far they are from us. Maybe they will be willing to go somewhere less creepy.

• We did.  It was a full family portrait (30+ people) after my Grandmother's burial.  I never thought twice about it.

If it's that important to them, I'd just do it.  What does it really matter? 

• imageMCC1010:
    imagehersheykiss:

There are some beautiful places in Charlotte for pictures. There is the rose garden across from Presbyterian Hospital and there is Myers Park as well. There are some gorgeous areas off of Queens (all 15 of them) lol!

Dh's grandfather lives in Sharon Towers which is a beautiful retirement community. I'm going to look up those places to see how far they are from us. Maybe they will be willing to go somewhere less creepy.

With the grandfather in Sharon Towers, you are right next to the rose garden & the Queens Blvd area. Myers Park is also right down the street. You are about 30-45 mins away from Lake Norman & the Davidson/Cornelius area I mention, depending on traffic of course but it is very doable. I used to live on the lake and travelled to Charlotte for school and work. It is nothing to get on 77 and make the drive. It is TOTALLY worth the drive. (But I am a bit biased).

• imagecchill01:

We did.  It was a full family portrait (30+ people) after my Grandmother's burial.  I never thought twice about it.

I would like to see this picture to see how crappy I think it is... I can not picture a cemetary photo. Guessing it was  raised head stone thing? Most of the ones I've seen are those flat ones. Like flat on the ground so I can't picture where everyone would stand. Are people smiling?

It's weird. I was think about jokingly saying to somehow put images of the dead somehow in your picture...

To me. You can't bring back the past. So why try to have a picture  of them? but hey, it's 2011 and crazier things have happened. Maybe someone will be able to photoshop very well.

• imagehersheykiss:
    imageMCC1010:
    imagehersheykiss:

With the grandfather in Sharon Towers, you are right next to the rose garden & the Queens Blvd area. Myers Park is also right down the street. You are about 30-45 mins away from Lake Norman & the Davidson/Cornelius area I mention, depending on traffic of course but it is very doable. I used to live on the lake and travelled to Charlotte for school and work. It is nothing to get on 77 and make the drive. It is TOTALLY worth the drive. (But I am a bit biased).

Hershey - I think I love you.

• Surprise Are you near me?

If so... maybe your day will get rained out haha!

ETA: I obviously can't read... disregard Big Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageMaxandRuby:

Ultimately if it were me though, I would smile and go along with it even if I disagreed, thought it was weird, etc. I think it will make you look disrespectful of THEIR family if you don't do it just because you find it disturbing. It isn't like you have to take a picture with your camera or buy a pic if they are having a professional do it. 

I agree with this.  It's what the family wants to do, it's not going to hurt you, just go with it. 

And to the post the said they'd love to see how crappy the picture it, why would you judge someone's family photo that you haven't seen and you don't know?!?! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • imagechapski:
    imagecchill01:

We did.  It was a full family portrait (30+ people) after my Grandmother's burial.  I never thought twice about it.

I would like to see this picture to see how crappy I think it is... I can not picture a cemetary photo. Guessing it was  raised head stone thing? Most of the ones I've seen are those flat ones. Like flat on the ground so I can't picture where everyone would stand. Are people smiling?

It's weird. I was think about jokingly saying to somehow put images of the dead somehow in your picture...

To me. You can't bring back the past. So why try to have a picture  of them? but hey, it's 2011 and crazier things have happened. Maybe someone will be able to photoshop very well.

Chapski- Damn you for making me laugh!! I woke up my napping baby. What the hell kind of expression are we supposed to have? Smiling seems inappropriate in that setting. LOL

• imageD_Nett86:

Surprise Are you near me?

We are all visiting Dh's grandfather who is 92.

• imageMCC1010:
    imagechapski:
    imagecchill01:

Chapski- Damn you for making me laugh!! I woke up my napping baby. What the hell kind of expression are we supposed to have? Smiling seems inappropriate in that setting. LOL

HAHAHA! that's what I'm saying?!!? When I think of a picture taking a picture I think you smile. Then I try to picture a photo taken at a cemetary and it seem inappropriate... So then I just get a confused look on my face. Sorta like LO's poop face!

Good luck! I would like to see how they turn out!

• imageMCC1010:
    imageD_Nett86:

Surprise Are you near me?

We are all visiting Dh's grandfather who is 92.

That sounds like too much fun Haha.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagemegann831:

imageMaxandRuby:

I agree with this.  It's what the family wants to do, it's not going to hurt you, just go with it. 

And to the post the said they'd love to see how crappy the picture it, why would you judge someone's family photo that you haven't seen and you don't know?!?! 

I don't think she meant it like that. It is an odd time to take a picture, don't you think? When I think of a funeral I think of people crying and being sad. An image of people smiling next to a fresh grave is disturbing to me.

• If it was important to them, I would do it.

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
    The Chaos of Six!
  • You sound like a whiner.

They aren't doing it to have a family photo in the cemetery. They are doing it to honor your DH's grandmother. Suck it up, smile and just do the freaking picture. It won't kill you.

BabyFruit Ticker
    image image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    PhotobucketPhotobucketImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageneonniteowl:

You sound like a whiner.

They aren't doing it to have a family photo in the cemetery. They are doing it to honor your DH's grandmother. Suck it up, smile and just do the freaking picture. It won't kill you.

I am a whiner. Thanks for mentioning it. You sound like you have a stick up your butt maybe you should take it out.

• imageMCC1010:
    imageneonniteowl:

You sound like a whiner.

I am a whiner. Thanks for mentioning it. You sound like you have a stick up your butt maybe you should take it out.

You are the only one in your family(who will be in the picture) who has a problem with it. You can't get past the fact that you will be in a cemetery and they probably see it as a nice way to remember grandma. Just because I point out the obvious doesn't mean I have a stick up my a$$. Being honest doesn't make me a stuck up b*tch.

BabyFruit Ticker
    image image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageneonniteowl:
    imageMCC1010:
    imageneonniteowl:

You sound like a whiner.

You are the only one in your family(who will be in the picture) who has a problem with it. You can't get past the fact that you will be in a cemetery and they probably see it as a nice way to remember grandma. Just because I point out the obvious doesn't mean I have a stick up my a$$. Being honest doesn't make me a stuck up b*tch.

Uhm, I didn't call you a stuck up ***. I asked for feedback so I get that you have an opinion. However, calling me names for no reason does make it seem like there is a stick up your butt. You are hostile for no reason. Suck that up.

• imageMCC1010:
    imagehersheykiss:
    imageMCC1010:
    imagehersheykiss:

You only love me cause I know Charlotte. hehehe. I was born there and lived there for 20 years. I know all about that hellhole.

• imageMCC1010:
    imageneonniteowl:
    imageMCC1010:
    imageneonniteowl:

You sound like a whiner.

Uhm, I didn't call you a stuck up ***. I asked for feedback so I get that you have an opinion. However, calling me names for no reason does make it seem like there is a stick up your butt. You are hostile for no reason. Suck that up.

I never said you called me that. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    image image
  • I just wanna know how someone's first reaction isn't Hmm HUH??!

If I made a post and asked for the top 10 places to go for a family photo. Cemetery wouldn't make the cut. I'd bet money!

Maybe the family church where ppl were married/death ceremony (whatever its called) but The Cemetery is weird. PERIOD.

• I just wanna know how someone's first reaction isn't Hmm HUH??!

If I made a post and asked for the top 10 places to go for a family photo. Cemetery wouldn't make the cut. I'd bet money!

Maybe the family church where ppl were married/death ceremony (whatever its called) but The Cemetery is weird. PERIOD.

• imagehersheykiss:
    imageMCC1010:
    imagehersheykiss:
    imageMCC1010:
    imagehersheykiss:

You only love me cause I know Charlotte. hehehe. I was born there and lived there for 20 years. I know all about that hellhole.

Awe it isn't a hellhole! Then again I don't live here. LOL It is a really pretty city and I like exploring this area. This area where Dh's grandad lives is really nice and pretty. It is a nice change from Miami where there aren't that many trees or big lawns. People are so nice in the south.

BTW - I am carrying around my passport just in case! Not taking any freaking chances

• ***sigh*** In-laws Confused

Very odd..... very, very odd!

• Meh, we have a gorgeous cemetary in our area that is frequently used by photographers (yes, even though we have dozens of other beautiful places to take pictures) for portrait photography, including weddings and families- they have amazing gardens that are renowned, and thus, it's a nice place to take pics. I don't have any issues with death, dying or cemetaries, so for me, it'd be a non-issue to have them taken there- I actually tend to find cemetaries to be very interesting places.

ETA: https://www.springgrove.org/sg/weddings/sg_weddings.shtm

Just so you can see what I mean- this is from their website, catering specifically to wedding photography. A great location is a great location, no matter who's underfoot.

• imageTonya_G:
    Meh, we have a gorgeous cemetary in our area that is frequently used by photographers (yes, even though we have dozens of other beautiful places to take pictures) for portrait photography, including weddings and families- they have amazing gardens that are renowned, and thus, it's a nice place to take pics. I don't have any issues with death, dying or cemetaries, so for me, it'd be a non-issue to have them taken there- I actually tend to find cemetaries to be very interesting places.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol. We used to go feed ducks, ride bikes, fly kites, and picnic in a cemetary growing up. When I moved here it was one of the first things I looked for and everyone thought I was odd lol. I'd totally do the pic, I think it's pretty funny! Though I actually think it would have been better if they setting was the cemetary without someone's headstone.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My family had us do this, it was weird but I went with it.  The pics turned out so crazy, some people were smiling and some sad, some with red eyes from crying.  Good luck!
  • I would not take a picture in front of a family member's grave.  Ever.  
  • I think it's an odd choice but I think you have to suck it up and do it if that's what your DH's family want to do (particularly since he is ok with it).  I mean, other than it being weird, do you have a valid reason to say no?  Is it endangering you or your child? 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMCC1010:

I have no intention of participating.

Are you really not participating or is this false bravado?  You need to go or every time your in-laws look at the picture they will see you are not there and remember your childish stubbornness.   

Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • imageoutnumbered:
    imageMCC1010:

I have no intention of participating.

Are you really not participating or is this false bravado?  You need to go or every time your in-laws look at the picture they will see you are not there and remember your childish stubbornness.   

It isn't childish to feel taking pictures in a cemetary is inappropriate. I did not participate and I don't feel like I did anything wrong. If it was my side of the family making the same request I would have said no as well. I have an opinion & I have no issue expressing it. As to the idea that they will look at a picture of them in a cemetary, not see me there and feel upset - is laughable. If that was your attempt to make me feel bad it failed.

BTW - Dh's great grandfather refused to participate in the pictures as well. He is 92 and the pictures were supposed to be in front of his families grave. He said the idea was disturbing to him. Does that make him childish & stubborn? Or does he get a pass?

• It's his family. I think if that's what they want to do, that's their choice and you should just accept it. Even if it isn't where *you* would want a portrait taken, it's not about you. Just smile for the picture.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"