Breastfeeding

going straight to sippy cup??

DS never liked bottles and never took them. We are going to visit family next week and DH and I would love to go to a movie (since we haven't done so since DS was born) but since DS refuses bottles I am worried it might not work.
A friend of mine suggested we try the sippy cup to see if he would take that. I put a little bit of the Motts for Tots Apple Juice and some water in the cup (about an 8th of the way full) and gave it to him and with some coaxing he was able to drink out of it. He drank all of the apple juice I gave him too and was trying to drink from it when it was empty. My question is should we just skip bottles all together? Is it okay to put breast milk in the sippy cup? (that might be a silly question, I just never seen anyone do that before). He can only use the sippy cup lying down (on his own) but I have read not to let them drink while lying down.
What do you think? He really seems to like the sippy cup and it would be a lot easier to take him places/let people watch him if I can get him to take some sort of bottle or cup.
photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
          Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
Lilypie - (bLG7)

Re: going straight to sippy cup??

• I have heard of a lot of people skipping the bottle altogether. I have also read about it in several books. I don't think there is anything wrong with going straight to a sippy cup if your child is able to drink from it effectively...and it sounds like he is. I say go for it! One less thing to wean him from when he's a bit older! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah your right, why get him use to a bottle now when I would just have to wean him from it soon. I think we are going to try putting some breast milk in the sippy cup this evening and see how he does. It would make our trip next week so much easier. Not that I have an issue nursing in public, but he gets so distracted now it makes it almost impossible.
    photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
              Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
    Lilypie - (bLG7)
  • Loading the player...
  • DS 1 went straight to a sippy at 6 months for water, I kept bf'ing for another 7 months or so after that then put milk in his sippy.  He hated bottles, I figured why teach him to use them just to switch.  He did fine w/ the cups. 
  • My DS never took a bottle and went straight to a sippy cup...it actually made things so much easier because we never had to wean him from a bottle!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went straight to sippys. Worked GREAT.
  • I totally should have done this...she stopped taking a bottle at 9 months and will not take anything but the Boob...I have every sippee cup on the market in my house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"