South Florida Babies

Intro & Question

hi ladies,

my name is hilda and i just had my first baby 3 weeks ago.  i used to post on the knot while i was planning our wedding and have been on some f the baby boards throuhgout my pg.  i wanted to thank you ladies for the post below about advice for first time parents.  it was really helpful since we are in the sleepless nights newborn phase. 

this leads me to my question regarding sleeping.  my daughter is a great sleeper as long as we are holding her as soon as we lay her down she will wake up within 5 to 10 minutes and then we start the process of getting her to sleep again. this can go on for hours at a time and lately we have been letting her sleep on us in order for all of us to get some rest.  did any of you go through this with your kids and what can we do to get her used to sleeping in her bassinet and later on in her crib?

sorry for the format but i am on my phone...

tia 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
October Siggy: Then & Now
At The Pumpkin Patch
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Intro & Question

• hi :)

Are you swaddling her?  I know that my girls would wake up unless they were swaddled incredibly tight.  The swaddle will keep her feeling warm and secure, the way she feels in your arms :) 

• We've been trying to swaddle her but she always finds a way to get her hands up by her face.  i might need to try one of the swaddle me blankets.  we started swaddling her but with her arms out.
    At The Pumpkin Patch
  • Loading the player...
  • AlbahAlbah member
    Hi! Welcome to the board! I had this same issue with my older son. Putting him down in his crib was an instant wake up call! He slept on me early on and ended up sleeping in the bed with us for over a year. I swore I would never allow that again!! So the baby sleeps in his crib with no issue for the most part. Swaddling is a great idea early on. Perhaps even a sound machine may help! Helps sooth them further and keep them asleep. I really really recommend staying away from putting them in bed with you, it's much more difficult to break the habit later. Good luck!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Have you tried laying her in her crib instead of the bassinet?  My friend's kids did not like the bassinet for anything.

As for swaddling, my boys LOVED it.  The moment they were swaddled, they passed out instantly.  LOL  We used the Aden & Anais blankets.  We also had a couple of SwaddleMe thingys that worked well too... miss seeing them as little burritos in them. : 0

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Oh yeah, neither one of my girls could sleep in the bassinet.  My oldest only slept in the car seat and the youngest only slept on her boppy pillow.  Maybe a little flame-worthy, but hey, it got them to sleep, they were comfortable, and I got a little shut eye!  We bought those swaddle me blankets and they worked like a charm.  My 2nd one needed to be swaddled with two blankets because she hated being cold- she's still like that, I have to put thick pjs and a blanket on her or else she wakes up!  You may want to check the temp in your house... maybe she's too cold or warm? We would swaddle her in a blanket and then wrap the swaddle me blanket around her so she couldn't escape lol.  My oldest had bad reflux so she would only sleep in a reclined position- hence the car seat.  

Good luck! 

• imageAlbah:
    Hi! Welcome to the board! I had this same issue with my older son. Putting him down in his crib was an instant wake up call! He slept on me early on and ended up sleeping in the bed with us for over a year. I swore I would never allow that again!! So the baby sleeps in his crib with no issue for the most part. Swaddling is a great idea early on. Perhaps even a sound machine may help! Helps sooth them further and keep them asleep. I really really recommend staying away from putting them in bed with you, it's much more difficult to break the habit later. Good luck!

that's exactly what i'm afraid of.  i know she's still so little but i think she's getting used to sleeping in our arms.  we will try to swaddle her today ?and put her in her crib.  thanks for your advice...

At The Pumpkin Patch
  • imagebritishbride05:

Oh yeah, neither one of my girls could sleep in the bassinet.  My oldest only slept in the car seat and the youngest only slept on her boppy pillow.  Maybe a little flame-worthy, but hey, it got them to sleep, they were comfortable, and I got a little shut eye!  We bought those swaddle me blankets and they worked like a charm.  My 2nd one needed to be swaddled with two blankets because she hated being cold- she's still like that, I have to put thick pjs and a blanket on her or else she wakes up!  You may want to check the temp in your house... maybe she's too cold or warm? We would swaddle her in a blanket and then wrap the swaddle me blanket around her so she couldn't escape lol.  My oldest had bad reflux so she would only sleep in a reclined position- hence the car seat.  

Good luck! 

she loves sleeping on the boppy on top of me and always falls asleep in her car seat.  hey anything is worth a shot as long as she is able to sleep some and i can rest a little too.  we'll keep trying until we find what works hopefully sooner rather than later. 

At The Pumpkin Patch
  • imagecocojack10:

Have you tried laying her in her crib instead of the bassinet?  My friend's kids did not like the bassinet for anything.

As for swaddling, my boys LOVED it.  The moment they were swaddled, they passed out instantly.  LOL  We used the Aden & Anais blankets.  We also had a couple of SwaddleMe thingys that worked well too... miss seeing them as little burritos in them. : 0

we're going to try the crib tonight and the swaddle as well.  they do look so cute all bundled up like burritos. 

At The Pumpkin Patch
  • My little one just turned 7 weeks and Im in your same position. Do not stress at this time. Ive tried the swaddling and she hated it. Remember at 3 weeks and at 7 weeks were Im at, we are all still getting to know one anofher. At 4 weeks, after not sleeping at all I gave in and put her on the bed for the sake of us getting some sleep. She did great, is it the right thing to do? Probably not! The last week we've tried the routine -- bath, massage, feeding, story and rocking then we put her in the pack and play,, Its worked 2 times.. So we keep trying! The way I feel its about enjoying them and the rest will work itself out! I dont know if this helps but we cant expect much from them they are little babies. So I shall tell you that as i write i have a ten pounder on my chest.!! Enjoy her and congrats!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagen&j1010:

My little one just turned 7 weeks and Im in your same position. Do not stress at this time. Ive tried the swaddling and she hated it. Remember at 3 weeks and at 7 weeks were Im at, we are all still getting to know one anofher. At 4 weeks, after not sleeping at all I gave in and put her on the bed for the sake of us getting some sleep. She did great, is it the right thing to do? Probably not! The last week we've tried the routine -- bath, massage, feeding, story and rocking then we put her in the pack and play,, Its worked 2 times.. So we keep trying! The way I feel its about enjoying them and the rest will work itself out! I dont know if this helps but we cant expect much from them they are little babies. So I shall tell you that as i write i have a ten pounder on my chest.!! Enjoy her and congrats!

This is perfect!

And know that what may work this month may not work next month...the little bugger may just throw you through a loop!!  My 15 month old has been a perfect sleeper... until the last 2 months, where she's been getting up from 2-4 every. single. day. lol  You've just gotta go with the flow :) 

• thank you so much ladies.  we had a good night yesterday and like you guys said we're going with the flow.  we are enjoying every moment even the sleepless nights since time does go by so fast and they grow so quickly.  
    At The Pumpkin Patch
  • My daughter was the same way as a newborn. I tried to get her used to falling asleep and staying asleep on her own but she never got used to it and I never got used to hearing her cry, so she eventually ended up in our bed. Fast forward to 18 months later and after two or three serious attempts at sleep training and failing each time, we now have a toddler who sleeps in our bed most of the night, every night.

Co-sleeping was not a choice that we made and not what we originally wanted. It was just one of those things that we fell into and then were never able to break out of. Is it a perfect situation? No. If I had a magic wand that I could wave and it would make her sleep in her own bed all night, would I do it? Yes. But having said that, I don't stress about it anymore. I spent a lot of time beating myself up about it and feeling guilty because I felt like she was "supposed" to be a good sleeper and she was "supposed" to be able to sleep through the night in her own bed. But at the end of the day, co-sleeping has worked for us so far. Now we all sleep through the night without a problem and both my husband and I enjoy the time we have bonding with our daughter while she's falling asleep in our bed and waking up with her next to us on the weekends. I am a working mom so I treasure those little moments with her very much. It's very true that they grow up SO incredibly quickly and even though I know it's hard, you just have to try to enjoy them and not turn things like sleep issues into a constant struggle. With my next child I am going to try harder to get them to sleep in their own crib, but if he or she is as high-maintenance and needy of a baby as my daughter was, then I know that there's a good chance we will fall into the co-sleeping routine again.

Anyway, if you are truly against the idea of co-sleeping, then keep trying. All the girls have given you really good suggestions. The sound machine really helped my daughter sleep for longer stretches in her own crib. These books also have some pretty good tips: Good Night, Sleep Tight and The No Cry Sleep Solution. But if at the end of the day, it doesn't work and you end up bringing her into your bed, I'm here to tell you that it's not the end of the world and you don't need to feel guilty about it. I know that whether my kids spend one night or four years sleeping in my bed, it's a very short amount of time in the grand scheme of things and I'm sure I won't regret it 20 years from now. Good luck!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have you tried laying her on her side? My girls were both side sleepers before they were belly sleepers. Actually, my youngest still curls up on her side to sleep. Neither liked being fully laid on their backs. It just isnt cozy to them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

My daughter was the same way as a newborn. I tried to get her used to falling asleep and staying asleep on her own but she never got used to it and I never got used to hearing her cry, so she eventually ended up in our bed. Fast forward to 18 months later and after two or three serious attempts at sleep training and failing each time, we now have a toddler who sleeps in our bed most of the night, every night.

Co-sleeping was not a choice that we made and not what we originally wanted. It was just one of those things that we fell into and then were never able to break out of. Is it a perfect situation? No. If I had a magic wand that I could wave and it would make her sleep in her own bed all night, would I do it? Yes. But having said that, I don't stress about it anymore. I spent a lot of time beating myself up about it and feeling guilty because I felt like she was "supposed" to be a good sleeper and she was "supposed" to be able to sleep through the night in her own bed. But at the end of the day, co-sleeping has worked for us so far. Now we all sleep through the night without a problem and both my husband and I enjoy the time we have bonding with our daughter while she's falling asleep in our bed and waking up with her next to us on the weekends. I am a working mom so I treasure those little moments with her very much. It's very true that they grow up SO incredibly quickly and even though I know it's hard, you just have to try to enjoy them and not turn things like sleep issues into a constant struggle. With my next child I am going to try harder to get them to sleep in their own crib, but if he or she is as high-maintenance and needy of a baby as my daughter was, then I know that there's a good chance we will fall into the co-sleeping routine again.

Anyway, if you are truly against the idea of co-sleeping, then keep trying. All the girls have given you really good suggestions. The sound machine really helped my daughter sleep for longer stretches in her own crib. These books also have some pretty good tips: Good Night, Sleep Tight and The No Cry Sleep Solution. But if at the end of the day, it doesn't work and you end up bringing her into your bed, I'm here to tell you that it's not the end of the world and you don't need to feel guilty about it. I know that whether my kids spend one night or four years sleeping in my bed, it's a very short amount of time in the grand scheme of things and I'm sure I won't regret it 20 years from now. Good luck!!!!

how did you guys co-sleep? did you just lay her between botth of you? im just worried something will happen to her.  we arent completely against the idea especially at this age.  she's still so little it breaks my heart to hear her cry so we end up holding her all night. thanks for your advice its always good to hear other moms that have been through the same situation. 

At The Pumpkin Patch
  • imageMellyMelB:
    I have you tried laying her on her side? My girls were both side sleepers before they were belly sleepers. Actually, my youngest still curls up on her side to sleep. Neither liked being fully laid on their backs. It just isnt cozy to them.

i do notice in her pnp she turns to her side, duriing the dayttime naps i lsy her on her side and t works for a little while.  im a total belly sleeper so maybe she's like me! ;) 

At The Pumpkin Patch
  • imageHildi18:

imageMellyMelB:
    I have you tried laying her on her side? My girls were both side sleepers before they were belly sleepers. Actually, my youngest still curls up on her side to sleep. Neither liked being fully laid on their backs. It just isnt cozy to them.

i do notice in her pnp she turns to her side, duriing the dayttime naps i lsy her on her side and t works for a little while.  im a total belly sleeper so maybe she's like me! ;) 

Since they got home from the hospital, I had boys sleeping on their sides, all burrito-ed up, in effort to help with preventing flat head.  Everytime they woke up for feeding, I'd rotate them.  The moment they could roll over (4mo), they were sleeping through the night!  Maybe try laying her on the side (not belly yet).

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"