Breastfeeding

How many oz of milk are you putting in each bag?

I am having a hard time getting my milk to defrost in a reasonable amount of time.  (note my post below)  So as it was pointed out maybe I have too much milk in each bag?  I am putting 6-11 oz per bag.

How much are you ladies putting and how long does it take to defrost?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How many oz of milk are you putting in each bag?

• Between 3 and 6 ounces.
  • I would put between 3 and 5 in a bag.  Whatever a normal feeding amount for LO is, is a good amount because then you'll have less chance of waste.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did between 2 and 6 ounces.  I defrosted the milk by sitting the bag in a cup of cold water.  It only took a few minutes. 
  • Right now I am putting about 2-5 ounces per bag. She generally takes between 4 and 5 ounces when she does get a bottle.
  • vanfoxvanfox member
    I was putting 5-8, but found that meant a lot went to waste if I wasn't gone very long (I'm a SAHM) and we didn't need to use it all in 24 hours. Now I tend to make 2-4 oz bags, even though that means I need to buy more faster now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I always do 6.  But I was thinking I should probably start doing some smaller amounts as well.  I just feel like I'm wasting a bag if I don't fill it to its max. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• 2-4, usually 4 because he takes 4 oz bottles at daycare when I'm working
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I always do 4oz so the math is easy. 

1 bag = 1 bottle

when he goes up to 6oz bottles then 3 bags = 2 bottles

He seems to be content still with 4oz bottles though. 

• I freeze about 3-4 oz in a bag.  I learned from a friend that if you freeze the bag flat, it will thaw a lot faster.  Just make sure it is zipped securely so the milk doesn't leak out when you lay it down. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually put between 3-6 oz in the bag depending on how much comes out at a pumping session. If I have 6oz in a bag, I just split it into two different bottles for feedings. 

I try and defrost on the counter for a little bit. It took way too long to defrost in the fridge.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"