Babies on the Brain

Is Uh Oh a Word?

Linc has started saying uh oh when he drops something or he falls. This is the first time he has actually said anything with purpose, but then again I'm not sure if uh oh is actually a word.

He also says ma ma ma when he is whining at me, but he also does it at dh and we aren't sure he isn't just gibbering b/c he whines  some other things and it has never been consistent.

With uh oh it is more like he is meaning to say it. Would you count that as a first word?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Is Uh Oh a Word?

• If it's with purpose, I would count it as a first word.

Nora's first word with purpose is Bok, like the sound a chicken makes.  We have chickens and every time she sees them she boks.  Also if you ask her what does a chicken say she says 'bok bok bok'.

I was hoping for Mama or Dada, but Bok it is.....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We counted it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would, if he says it with purpose and seems to understand what it means. Thats cool!! 
  • We are counting it as a word too. But now she drops things on the floor just so she can say it lol
    1/24/10
  • Wow, your son is doing exactly what mine did at that age - the UH OH and the MAMAMAMA whine.  We counted "uh-oh."

Jack Donovan, b. Christmas Eve, 2009.

imagemonkeybuttjunction image

• imageStacy112699:
    We are counting it as a word too. But now she drops things on the floor just so she can say it lol

Button did this for a while.  I kept telling him it wasn't an uh-oh if he was doing it on purpose! 

• We absolutely counted that as a word!  He knew that it meant "Aw crap I dropped something" and if what he says is contextually accurate, it counts :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I would. The whole point of language is to convey meaning. He dropped something and then said something to the effect of "I'm disappointed that this object has fallen. Oh noes!". Smile
  • I got into a fight (not literally) with Colin's speech therapist when he was being evaluated when he was 1.5 because "uh oh" was his only word and they wouldn't count it as one. They said it was an expression - and I was thinking - It's VERBAL so it's got to be a word even if it is expressing something. Plus, it's just mean to take away his ONE and only word. LOL

On a sidenote, about 6 months later his speech totally exploded and now he's way ahead of the standards for his age and we haven't had therapy for quite a long time. Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"