Austin Babies
Options

Clicky: How much TV does your kid watch?

My mom and I are in a disagreement about this, so I'm curious where we fall on average...I'll share our answers later :) Feel free to explain if you want!
[Poll]

Re: Clicky: How much TV does your kid watch?

• Options
    My oldest watches 2 shows - each 30 minutes (well, 20-25 really).  That is the guideline our pedi gave us when she turned 4.  I thought it was good and was what we were already doing.  Of course there are exceptions - like movie night and things like that. But our general rule is 2 shows/day max. 
  • Options

i voted 30min-1hr a day but it really varies between the weekdays and the weekend. he doesn't watch TV at all during the week now that he's at daycare (it was on a lot at his previous sitter's house). every once in awhile i'll let him watch a 30-min show while i cook dinner.  and sometimes on the weekends he watches about 1 hr a day.

we really had to limit his TV watching because he was becoming obsessed with it and we're trying to work on his language. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I voted 1-2 hours, but that varies day to day and when in the school year it is.  Currently, since we are home for the summer, he is watching more.  Some days he watches Sesame Street (50 min) and maybe another 1/2 hour show (super why, dinosaur train).  At night after his bath he does wind down with us on the couch for a few minutes before story time.  So, I count that in his tv time.  Also, sometimes I have Wheel on and he'll glance.

I know it's a lot, but for the most part, they are educational shows.  At the moment, I'm not too worried about it.  He does ask for it, but usually I say no, unless we haven't watch Elmo that day, and I really need some quiet time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It's hard to really gauge how much they actually watch because they'll ask for a show while I'm making breakfast/lunch/dinner (usually Curious George), but they'll sit there to watch maybe 5-10 minutes of it and then they'll be off playing.  So, even if they sit down to watch a show that's 30 minutes, they aren't sitting there the entire time, watching it.  KWIM?  I said about an hour to 2 hours because if they were to actually WATCH the 3 or 4 shows I allow them to watch, that's how long those shows would last.  But again, they aren't watching the whole time, so I'm totally cool with letting them at least start those programs.  Does that make any sense?!  :)

ETA:  I'm NOT a holier-than-thou parent, believe me dudes and dudettes, I'd be having them watch a whole lot more TV if they didn't play all the time!  Mama's tired!  

• Options
    During the week, she doesn't watch much..daycare doesn't have TVs and she has after "school" activities three days a week for the next month. On the other two days, we let her watch Sesame Street or Nick Jr. while we make dinner and for a little bit after bath.

On the weekends, she watches for a few hours in the morning while we clean the house, then we leave the house to go do stuff and she usually goes to bath and bed when we get home. If we do stay around the house on the weekend (I can't even remember the last time we did) it usually stays on something kid-appropriate and she watches it off and on.

Oh, she also watches Sesame Street in the morning while I put her shoes on and do her hair (15 mins max).

I really don't understand what the big deal is. DD has learned a lot from TV..it hasn't hindered her language at all, I actually think it has helped her learn words. During the week while we're making dinner, TV time is her wind down time from a busy day at daycare.
  • Options

I voted for our top TV watching time (2-3 hrs), but that's not every day. Her daycare days are generally no TV at all, and at most 20 or 30 min while she has some milk and we draw a bath or something. There are the occasional days at home that the TV is on most of the day, and she does watch a lot of it - our 2-3 hour days - but often it's the only way I can get anything done at all around the house.

My kid probably watches way more TV than she should, but eh, this is one of those things I'm not willing to beat myself up over.  She is growing, developing, and learning perfectly fine, is a very active child who loves to go outside and play, and seems to enjoy the shows she can get up and dance/move/sing to, so I'm not really concerned that I'm rotting her brain or turning her into an obese couch potato.

• Options

imagebobcatsteph:

I really don't understand what the big deal is. DD has learned a lot of from TV..it hasn't hindered her language at all, I actually think it has helped her learn words. During the week while we're making dinner, TV time is her wind down time from a busy day at daycare.

I'm totally with you on this.  DD only watches educational-type shows and I also think that she's learned a lot from them. I think the problems with the whole TV watching issue come when parents use TV as a babysitter 24-7 and let their kids watch age-inappropriate shows for hours on end every day without at all encouraging physical activity or other skill building activities.

• Options
    He can't sit still long enough to watch a whole show and now that he's doing a lot of independent play these days, DH and I will keep it on to maintain our sanities.  DS sometimes shows interest if it's a funny commercial or something.  His favorite was the State Farm one where Mater ran into a pole and the little fix it trucks fixed everything.  He thought those little truckers were the most hilarious things ever.
  • Options

imagebobcatsteph:
    I really don't understand what the big deal is. DD has learned a lot from TV..it hasn't hindered her language at all, I actually think it has helped her learn words. During the week while we're making dinner, TV time is her wind down time from a busy day at daycare.

I don't think it's a big deal. I voted for 2-3 hours a day b/c if I need to get work done, I'll put something on TV. He typically watches 1 movie and 1-2 30 minute shows throughout the course of the day/evening. If the TV is on, he sits there and watches it, even if it's an adult show. We've been at my parents house a lot lately and my mom wants to keep it on PBS all.day.long. They're educational shows and I have no problem with him watching them, but instead of playing with the toys that he loves over there, he sits and watches TV. She doesn't think it's a big deal, and normally I don't either...but when we're over there 3 or more times a week and he watches TV from 10am-4pm, taking a little break in there for a nap, it's way too much, IMO.

I do feel guilty that he watches 2-3 hours...but when you're a WAHM without a babysitter, you do what you have to do. We play outside and are active during the day as well...but I don't really see another alternative right now.

• Options
    I voted none because we don't have a TV in our living room and Kate has only watched TV a handful of times when she was really sick, but she does get screen time.  I'd say she and DH play games on the iPad for 30 minutes at a time a few times a week.  
  • Options
    Megan used to watch 30min to an hour most days from age 2 -3.  Back in April I think we cut it out completely and it wasn't as hard as I thought and its been AWESOME!  She used to watch in the morning a lot when I got ready for work and I think she's happier and in a better mood in the mornings w/o TV.
  • Options
    imageCollieJade:

imagebobcatsteph:

I really don't understand what the big deal is. DD has learned a lot of from TV..it hasn't hindered her language at all, I actually think it has helped her learn words. During the week while we're making dinner, TV time is her wind down time from a busy day at daycare.

I'm totally with you on this.  DD only watches educational-type shows and I also think that she's learned a lot from them. I think the problems with the whole TV watching issue come when parents use TV as a babysitter 24-7 and let their kids watch age-inappropriate shows for hours on end every day without at all encouraging physical activity or other skill building activities.

This is how I feel.  We do lots of non-tv activities most of the time.  I am glad that some others out there feel similar to me.

• Options
    imagelibbyann:

imagebobcatsteph:

I don't think it's a big deal. I voted for 2-3 hours a day b/c if I need to get work done, I'll put something on TV. He typically watches 1 movie and 1-2 30 minute shows throughout the course of the day/evening. If the TV is on, he sits there and watches it, even if it's an adult show. We've been at my parents house a lot lately and my mom wants to keep it on PBS all.day.long. They're educational shows and I have no problem with him watching them, but instead of playing with the toys that he loves over there, he sits and watches TV. She doesn't think it's a big deal, and normally I don't either...but when we're over there 3 or more times a week and he watches TV from 10am-4pm, taking a little break in there for a nap, it's way too much, IMO.

I do feel guilty that he watches 2-3 hours...but when you're a WAHM without a babysitter, you do what you have to do. We play outside and are active during the day as well...but I don't really see another alternative right now.

Oh, I wasn't meaning that you were making a big deal about it, I was thinking more along the lines of what Mrs.Rosie was saying about the holier-than-thou attitude from some people.

I know my answer would have been way different (higher) if I were a SAHM/WAHM. I don't know how y'all do it.
  • Options

imagekiarox2002:
    I voted none because we don't have a TV in our living room and Kate has only watched TV a handful of times when she was really sick, but she does get screen time.  I'd say she and DH play games on the iPad for 30 minutes at a time a few times a week.  

I just read the other responses.  I'm hope I'm not coming across as holier than thou.  We don't have cable so I made DH get rid of the million year old giant boxy TV in our living room.  Honestly, I didn't want to deal with trying to baby proof it and I never watched network TV anyway.  Our option is then to let Kate watch TV on one of the laptops and honestly I'm playing on the laptop during the day.  She plays really well independently so I don't feel the need to put a lot of effort into finding a way for her to watch TV unless she's sick.

• Options
    imagekiarox2002:

imagekiarox2002:

I just read the other responses.  I'm hope I'm not coming across as holier than thou.  We don't have cable so I made DH get rid of the million year old giant boxy TV in our living room.  Honestly, I didn't want to deal with trying to baby proof it and I never watched network TV anyway.  Our option is then to let Kate watch TV on one of the laptops and honestly I'm playing on the laptop during the day.  She plays really well independently so I don't feel the need to put a lot of effort into finding a way for her to watch TV unless she's sick.

No, you didn't come across that way at all! I'm slightly jealous that Kate will leave you alone! I swear, Will plays SO well independently until I go get on the computer to work. And then it's game over and he wants to push buttons and give hugs and basically demand my attention. But if I go play with him he tells me, "No mama! I pway mysewf!" *sigh* Toddlers.

• Options
    imagelibbyann:

No, you didn't come across that way at all! I'm slightly jealous that Kate will leave you alone! I swear, Will plays SO well independently until I go get on the computer to work. And then it's game over and he wants to push buttons and give hugs and basically demand my attention. But if I go play with him he tells me, "No mama! I pway mysewf!" *sigh* Toddlers.

L is this way too.  I can sit on the couch and watch him play independently, but the moment I take out my laptop or try to do some lesson planning, he's all up in my business.  I can't win.

• Options
    imagekiarox2002:

imagekiarox2002:

I'm with libbyann, I don't think you come across like that. I also have the same problem with DD when I try to get on the laptop..she wants to push the buttons, climb all over me, sit in my lap and look at pictures/videos of herself, etc.
  • Options

I try to minimize TV, but I really don't think small amounts of TV is going to harm a kid. I let her watch Sesame Street in 10-15 minute increments, usually a couple times a day, as a way to distract her. Sometimes it's when I am doing a breathing treatment and she is trying to climb on me and grab my nebulizer. Other times I may use it to get her to sit still while I put sunblock on her. And she watches for a few minutes every evening, after her bath, so I can comb her hair.

When she is older and can actually get something out of Sesame Street, I will probably let her watch a whole show. And a movie from time to time. And maybe another show from time to time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Ollie sits through the intro song part of a Backyardigans episode, but I said "30 min"...

I usually put it on in the morning while he's munching on a mum mum and holding his Pablo the Penguin stuffed animal (a character on that show).

He likes the intro song and stops everything and stares in aw at the tv when it's playing. and he giggles.  When the show actually starts he gets bored and goes on to play with all his toys in the first few minutes.

I like that show though, just for myself, it's cute, I usually play one 30 min episode a day from netflix. 

• Options

"Too Much" would be my answer (I voted 2-3 hours a day). I really do try to limit it by not having it on during meals or in the morning at all if we're getting ready to go somewhere. But plenty of times in the evenings, especially if I've worked 3 in a row, just woke up and still need to make dinner, I thank GOD they'll sit there and not eat each other alive for 30-60 minutes. I do use Ariel and Cinderella as my babysitters when I really need them. Either to finish a project or just for my sanity.

DH on the other hand will have the TV on all day when it's just them on the weekends. Much of that is those car repair shoes on Spike. So aside from them seeing women who poorly choose their clothing and makeup, I'm not too concerned with them paying attention to how to rebuild a motor from scratch.

And I love that kiarox2002 doesn't have a TV because that's 2 whole days (sometimes 3) I know my girls aren't in front of TV all. Makes me feel less guilty Embarrassed. It's a win win.

The problem with TV isn't in what they are learning but what they AREN'T learning. Interaction, movement, cooperation, and creativity. If you feel that you provide plenty of those opportunites for your child to grow and learn, than a little down time in front of the TV is probably fine. But if all your kid does is sit there to be entertained by the box, then they are not getting the skills they need to function in society. Especially in the preschool crowd, their K teacher is probably not going to be as animated and interesting as Yo Gabba Gabba. They get used to over stimulation. Not to mention kids are supposed to run around to build their bones and muscles.

There was a family at the hospital the other day that was letting thier 7 year old watch "Adult Swim" on Comedy Central at 1am. I apologized for it being on and offered to go find them a remote. The mom said "No, it's fine. This is his favorite show" :|

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsAJLMrsAJL member
    I responded with "2-3 hours".  DS is at the age where he will sit through an entire feature length kid film (like the Pixar flicks).  I don't have a problem with him watching television.  We don't watch it all day long and we break it up with other activities.  But sometimes it's helpful, especially when I need to tend to DD and DS' "helping" just isn't.  For me, the content is as important (if not more so) than the amount of time.  We watch a ton of PBS programs (SS, Curious George, Word World, Clifford, etc.) and then Pixar films.
  • Options

imagebobcatsteph:

I know my answer would have been way different (higher) if I were a SAHM/WAHM. I don't know how y'all do it.

Ditto this!

And as for my comment before about why we're limiting it because of L's language -- it's what L's language therapist asked us to do.  We have been having to work with L a lot because he definitely has a language delay.  So we are trying to spend more time with him in his play room working on his language while we play with his toys together. 

It's not to say that some kids don't learn from TV, but then there are others that don't.  My son is perfectly happy to sit on the couch for hours watching TV sucking his thumb.  ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrsAJL:

DS is at the age where he will sit through an entire feature length kid film (like the Pixar flicks).  I don't have a problem with him watching television.  We don't watch it all day long and we break it up with other activities.  But sometimes it's helpful... For me, the content is as important (if not more so) than the amount of time.  We watch a ton of PBS programs (SS, Curious George, Word World, Clifford, etc.) and then Pixar films.

Ditto this, except I voted for 1-2 hours, only because he is in preschool/daycare all day during the week.  If we stayed home, he would likely watch a lot more.  He loves his disney movies, all the shows listed above, plus some others on PBS and Nick Jr.  During the week, he'll watch a few minutes in the mornings, I think they put a video on at school while they prepare the lunches, and then when we get home if we don't go swimming or play outside or go out somewhere, he'll want to watch a movie (lately he begs for Letter Factory or Math Adventure, which is A-okay with me!).  On weekends, he would watch movies all day if we would let him.  We limit it to one movie a day, and if we're home a lot of the day, we may let him watch another show or two (usually we're trying to get stuff done so it's helpful), but they have to be educational:  we let him choose between Word World, Signing Time, Biscuit Brothers or Blues Clues usually.

• Options

Phew! What a relief to read these responses. I answered 30 min- 1 hour, but sometimes it's more in the range of 2-3 hours, depending on weekend vs. week day and how wiped I am. And in this heat I can't kick the girls outside.

I don't feel guilty that they're watching tv per se, but I don't love the programs, even on PBS and Nickolodeon.

Netflix has She-Ra on instant streaming and my 4-year-old can't get enough. It's crazy to hear her running around saying "For the honor of Grayskull!"

• Options
    imageMrsRosie:
    imageCollieJade:

My kid probably watches way more TV than she should, but eh, this is one of those things I'm not willing to beat myself up over.  She is growing, developing, and learning perfectly fine, is a very active child who loves to go outside and play, and seems to enjoy the shows she can get up and dance/move/sing to, so I'm not really concerned that I'm rotting her brain or turning her into an obese couch potato.

Ditto this. I'm so over the holier-than-thou attitude some parents (not saying Nesties necessarily) have about TV.  A watches about an hour's worth every weekend morning, and usually part or all of a Disney movie or some other show he likes when he gets home from school while I cook.  He's played-out, colored-out, booked-out by the time he gets home, and some days he just wants to chill.

I feel this way too.  He watches a little in the morning, then we're usually out walking, running errands, at the gym, at the pool/splash park/ park/ mall, whatever, and then we're home for lunch.  He watches a little at lunch, then plays trains and watches/listens to TV until nap time.  He watches/listens while I cook dinner, and then again after he's had dinner and bath and jammies.  The only time he ever just sits and stares at the TV is when he's super tired or sick, otherwise it's on in the background and he's singing the songs, or he just glances up at it every now and then while he's playing.  This is definitely one of those things I don't worry about.  His development is awesome, his language and vocab is terrific.  He can sing the whole ABC song, count to 25ish, and he can also sing the entire Thomas & Friends song (and lots of other songs, plus speaking in full sentences).  Must not be doing too much harm.  :)

• Options

Here's why we don't watch TV

1. I think our kids are happier not watching TV.  I think its somewhat addicting, when Megan used to watch a show she'd get totally sucked in and then when its over she just wants more.  She'll get over it if I say no but she's grumpy / whiney for awhile afterwards.  When I started paying attention I noticed we were all happier with it off (when the kids are up anyways)

2. I worry about the rapid image changes effects on my kids brains, their ability to focus for long periods of time and their attention.  There seem to be studies on both sides of this but the way I see it TV isn't the same as it was when we were kids.  Mr Rogers ran at normal life pace, a lot of cartoons have scene changes that are much quicker.  Even sesame street is fast - they designed it so it would keep kids attention at the TV and not looking away.  I believe the reason was that for kids in underpriveldged homes where they won't get preschool at all for example, they wanted them to get in something educational everyday, so they want the kids focus to stay on the TV.  Lots of money is spent by TV shows to test that their show keeps your kids attention on the screen.  They actually have a test for it where they count how many times a kid looks away from the TV with various distractions in the real world.  I read this mostly in this book:  https://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Living-Room-Make-Television/dp/1594862761  (which I haven't finished and honestly I think the authors do conclude that TV has a place for older kids, with educational shows watched with parents / actively.

3. Like Taytee said, what they are not doing by watching TV (being outside, creative play, connecting with us...). 

But that's why out family doesn't watch TV (when the kids are up anyways).  I should add that when Megan used to watch TV (and now if we're at a friend's house and its on), she just sits and stares blankly at the TV.  She's never been the active watcher that I've seen my friend's kid do (so I know what you mean Brideonjuly!).  Plus Megan has been slow to develop focus, she's just more easily distracted so the focus/attention thing stood out to me.  Also I work outside of the home FT.  DH did too until this month... and hopefully soon he'll be back to work.  I say all that because I don't mean this to be a hollier-than-thou post.  I just thought this discussion deserved a few more points on why families might choose not too.  Every family is different, this works for us :-)

• Options
    I have been known to turn on Sesame Street or some cartoon when I'm not feeling well so V can watch.  Because she's so young, though, I generally steer clear of the TV.  However, I have no problem letting her watch Sesame Street  (or other shows in the same vein) when she's older.  Heck, I even bought some Elmo DVDs at a garage sale last week to have in the repertoire when I get sick again!
    No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I answered 2-3 hours. I wish it was less but it is what it is.  I don't have a problem with some TV, but do wish it was on a little less.  When Abby was J's age she only watched about an hour a day.  But, with 2 and WFH it is all I can do sometimes.  They will actually sit still and watch TV. So, when there is something that has to get done, usually the TV comes on.  We still do lots of other activities though and the TV is not on all day. It is only on during the day when I am letting them watch their shows (all PBS) My kids would sit and watch all day if it was on, and i would have a problem with that. 
  • Options
    I can't tell you how much better this thread has made me feel. Thank you guys all for being so honest - I've been having a lot of mommy guilt lately because he does watch so much TV during the day. It's still not what I wish it was, but it is what it is. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"