Breastfeeding

I just pumped for 30 min and couldn't letdown :(

I've never had this happen in 6 months of pumping.  I didn't even get an ounce.  Any suggestions?  I try compressions and visualizations.  Deep breathing in and out, imagining it happening.  All of my tricks failed today.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: I just pumped for 30 min and couldn't letdown :(

• Do you have any pix of the baby handy or maybe some of her clothes/clean diapers in the car you can smell? I know that sounds weird but smell is powerful tool! Also, are you hydrated enough?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelarrysdarling:
    Do you have any pix of the baby handy or maybe some of her clothes/clean diapers in the car you can smell? I know that sounds weird but smell is powerful tool! Also, are you hydrated enough?

Yes, I have a pic on my phone I look at when it is taking a long time which usually helps.  Nothing to smell of hers though.  I think I'm going to put that in my bag to bring to work in case this happens again and try that next time. Thanks

• Loading the player...
  • imageAmyG*:

get a recording of her crying

bring like the baby shampoo,bath, lotion that you usually use and take a whiff.

if you dont' let down, don't keep pumping for 30 minutes.  close up shop and try again in a bit.

when you are trying to let down, undo the bra flaps, bend over at the waist and give the girls a shake. then try a warm washcloth on the nipple and areola, and massage the areola and nipples and then start pumping.  pump one side and see if the other side will start to let down from just hanging out waiting.  then pump both sides or switch sides you pump on like a baby going back and forth from one side to the other.

Thanks for the advice.  I will try all of this.  Just curious, is there a reason I shouldn't pump that long without a letdown?  And if I don't pump the normal amount of time I usually do should I try again in a little bit or just wait until my next normal pumping session?

• Maybe guzzle some water and try again in a half hour to an hour?  Are you stressed about something?
    Growing Baby Shelton: A Mommy Blog

BabyFruit Ticker
    Can't wait to meet my baby boy!
  • imageAmyG*:

if you pump and aren't getting anything for that long, you could damage the nipples from the suction.  like a hickey kinda thing, suction with nothing coming out.  if you have a little milk coming out, then keep pumping, try lowering the suction and then raising it again, then low again. 

If you don't get anything, go get a cold drink, do something and come back and try again rather than just pumping that long without getting anything. 

try covering the pump and reading a non-baby book/magazine watching silly tv in case you are mentally stressing over how much milk is coming out (or not).

EEK!  I don't want to damage my nips!

I usually can just not stress and I tell myself I have a good stash in case I'm not pumping enough, but sometimes I can't.  I stress because I'm not letting down or getting enough which in turn makes me not letdown and get enough.  Vicious fvcking cycle.  And no, not more stress than usual.  Although I got NO sleep last night and last round of 3 weeks no sleep, I wasn't pumping enough by a bottle.  So maybe the no sleep is the issue to day.  I'm going to try again now.

• I had such let down issues w/dd. I tried all of the above. Sometimes they worked sometimes not. What finally worked was talking on the phone. For some reason, it  worked and got my mind off of pumping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When that's happened to me, I try to wait 30 more minutes to an hour and try again.  Usually the second time's a charm!
  • Well, I just pumped again and got 2 letdowns and pumped the rest that I need for the day, only short by 1 ounce.  So I guess I just need to chill out. Thanks for all the advice and support.
  • None of the baby centered stuff ever works for me, the best luck I have is when I am engrossed in email or tv or a good book and don't even think about what I am pumping until my timer goes off. I have NO trouble at work because it's such a nice break, but occasionally at home when I'm feeling pulled in a million directions or LO is crying or something else I can have a tough time.
    EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • imageJDoe11111:
    None of the baby centered stuff ever works for me, the best luck I have is when I am engrossed in email or tv or a good book and don't even think about what I am pumping until my timer goes off. I have NO trouble at work because it's such a nice break, but occasionally at home when I'm feeling pulled in a million directions or LO is crying or something else I can have a tough time.

I watch Netflix on my phone. :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's a great idea to record LO's cry!  I work in a hospital and we have lactation rooms for the employees up in the NICU.  The other day I had a second let down because one of the babies was crying just outside the door.  I ended up with about 6 ounces that pump!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"