1st Trimester

positive for group b strep

So I went for my first appointment about a week ago and they called me today and told me I have group b strep and they aren't going to test me later for it like they usually do, but instead they're treating it now and then when I go into labor.  With my first pregnancy I tested negative.

Anywho,  Apparently I have a UTI from it.  I googled it and found out that could possibly put me as a high risk pregnancy.  I'm kinda freaking out now...anybody else going through anything similar? I shouldn't have googled it   =[

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: positive for group b strep

• I have only heard of people having it, but my advice is to not stress because this can make your pregnancy worse. Just keep faith in your heart and know it's all in God's hands and you only can do so much. It's great that they found it early.
  • thanks! I totally agree.  I'm just a nervous nancy!! =]
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had it with my last pregnancy. It was no big deal, they just gave me antibiotics at delivery.
    Cambria, Keira, and Bonnie Quinn
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • aglennaglenn member

imagetextbookcase:
    I had it with my last pregnancy. It was no big deal, they just gave me antibiotics at delivery.

This.  It is not a big deal at all and is actually very common.  You are not considered high risk just because you are GBS+.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ghdst1ghdst1 member

imagetextbookcase:
    I had it with my last pregnancy. It was no big deal, they just gave me antibiotics at delivery.

Same for me.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • same with me...i test positive and the dr just said iv antibiotics during delivery.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageaglenn:

imagetextbookcase:

This.  It is not a big deal at all and is actually very common.  You are not considered high risk just because you are GBS+.

I said I could be because online it says if its causing UTI's with you, you could be.  I didn't say I was high risk. 

• I tested positive for my first pregnancy so they just always give me antibiotics during labor. No big deal really. 

And the comments that you aren't considered high risk just because you are GBS+ were meant to reassure you, I'm sure. Don't worry, Mama. :) 

• I wouldn't worry. I'm actually surprised they tested you this early because my doctor told me that they aren't very accurate this early on and you can test negative now and then be positive when it is close to your due date.  Even if they are treating it now, I think I'd feel more comfortable being tested again closer to your due date just to be sure. What if it comes back?  I had it with my first and the antibotics at delivery were no big deal at all.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had Group B during my first pregnancy and it was no big deal at all.  My OB told me that Group B can cycle through your system 1/3 of your life... so it is important to be tested closer to your due date.  Are they going to retest you as you get further along?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with PP about getting tested later in your pregnancy.  The presence of GBS can change from month to month esp. when you are getting treated for it now.

I had it with both my pregnancies and it was just a bit of antibiotics at delivery.  It was nothing more than that. 

E-8/9/08, A-6/7/10, W-1/11/12
  • I also tested positive with my first, the only thing different about the pregnancy was I had to go into the hospital right after my water broke to start me on the antibiotics rather then waiting for contractions to start.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagezrb1212:
    I wouldn't worry. I'm actually surprised they tested you this early because my doctor told me that they aren't very accurate this early on and you can test negative now and then be positive when it is close to your due date.  Even if they are treating it now, I think I'd feel more comfortable being tested again closer to your due date just to be sure. What if it comes back?  I had it with my first and the antibotics at delivery were no big deal at all.

This.  But like other PPers, I tested positive and just had to get the antibiotics during delivery.  They did burn going into the IV, but honestly, that was the last thing I thought about/worried about during labor and delivery. 

I would also insist that they re-test you later in pregnancy.  I've never heard of testing this early, and I would hate for you to go into L&D thinking it's been taken care of and end up with strep positive baby!  

Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • My OB tests at the 36wk appt.  I had DD 4 days before I had the test.  They put me on the antibiotic during labor.  I'm allergic to a lot of meds, so they did a skin test first.  That was the worst part of the whole ordeal.

• I am a high risk pregnancy nurse and the only way that you are considered high risk with GBS+ is if you break your water prematurely and it isn't the GBS that makes you high risk...its the premature rupture.  Every women can have GBS at some point. Some people are positive with one pregnancy and negative with others.  once you test positive you will be treated with Penicillin during active labor unless you are allergic to penicillin and then they use another antiobiotic.  It is only dangerous to your baby if you have a vaginal dleivery and you aren't treated with antibiotics.  Don't worry!!!!!!!! oh, and don't google!!! lol no point in worrying over nothing!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"