Cloth Diapering

Anyone make their own inserts/doublers?

I found some hemp bamboo fabric online for about $12 a yard and it got me thinking. Anyone else tried their hand at making their own? I'd love to be able to make some and save money since some inserts are $12 for one. lol

Re: Anyone make their own inserts/doublers?

• MegaPMegaP member
    I've made some out of Zorb and fleece (from Joanns) I LOVE them.  Super easy to do!

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS1: 10/2005 DS2: 01/2007 DS3: 09/2010
  • imageMegaP:
    I've made some out of Zorb and fleece (from Joanns) I LOVE them.  Super easy to do!

What exactly is zorb? I was at Joanns looking yesterday and didn't see anything in the name of fleece blends either.... are these two seperate fabrics you used or a blend?

• Loading the player...
  • Super easy to do. Be sure to prep your hemp before you sew though, I've had batches of hemp that didn't warp or shrink much, and then I've had others that do all sorts of funky stuff while prepping. I've found it ends better if I prep the cloth, then sew up the doublers.

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedulcinea03:

Super easy to do. Be sure to prep your hemp before you sew though, I've had batches of hemp that didn't warp or shrink much, and then I've had others that do all sorts of funky stuff while prepping. I've found it ends better if I prep the cloth, then sew up the doublers.

Oooo thanks for the tip! I had forgotten about that part... how would you prep it? Just wash with your normal diaper detergent?
  • MegaPMegaP member
    imageMothyrGrimm:

imageMegaP:

What exactly is zorb? I was at Joanns looking yesterday and didn't see anything in the name of fleece blends either.... are these two seperate fabrics you used or a blend?

https://wazoodle.com/index.php/default/diaper-making/absorbent-fabrics/cat-zorb/zorb-sample-size-diaper-cut.html 

You can't buy it from Joanns, but I just bought plain colored anti-pill fleece to sandwich the zorb from Joanns

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMegaP:
    imageMothyrGrimm:

imageMegaP:

https://wazoodle.com/index.php/default/diaper-making/absorbent-fabrics/cat-zorb/zorb-sample-size-diaper-cut.html 

You can't buy it from Joanns, but I just bought plain colored anti-pill fleece to sandwich the zorb from Joanns

I'll have to try that out, how many layers of zorb did you use?

• I buy micro fleece rags at costco or sams club, then fold them in 3rds and surge up the sides. They work great for us in the homemade BG style pocket diapers we use. We double up at night and haven't had any trouble...
    Pregnancy Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers IMG_5213 image image image image
  • imageMothyrGrimm:
    imagedulcinea03:
    Oooo thanks for the tip! I had forgotten about that part... how would you prep it? Just wash with your normal diaper detergent?

Wash and dry 3 or 4 times in your diaper detergent.

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MegaPMegaP member
    imageMothyrGrimm:
    imageMegaP:
    imageMothyrGrimm:

imageMegaP:

Just one.  I use mine as doublers for night/naps. If you're making inserts I would use two/three and maybe skip the fleece since it won't be touching baby's skin.  That would be my guess anyway :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageknittychick:
    I buy micro fleece rags at costco or sams club, then fold them in 3rds and surge up the sides. They work great for us in the homemade BG style pocket diapers we use. We double up at night and haven't had any trouble...

Like the ones they use on cars? DH use to detail cars and we have them all over the house, obviously I'd get new ones though. LOL

• imageMegaP:
    imageMothyrGrimm:
    imageMegaP:
    imageMothyrGrimm:

imageMegaP:

Just one.  I use mine as doublers for night/naps. If you're making inserts I would use two/three and maybe skip the fleece since it won't be touching baby's skin.  That would be my guess anyway :)

Ok mama, sounds like a plan to me! Thanks for all the tips I will definitely be trying this!

• imageMothyrGrimm:

Like the ones they use on cars?

exactly the same. they work well too. we triple fold so DS  doesn't  wet through  as fast.

Pregnancy Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers IMG_5213 image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"