Breastfeeding

Need to heal my nipple quick, help

Ds has hurt my right nipple. The tip now has like a dry hard sore spot on it. It burns/hurts really bad when he sucks and if I touch it. I'm putting bm on it and letting air dry then putting Medela lanolin on it but it doesn't seem to be enough. He nurses one side at a time so it gets a small break but not enough time to heal. What else can I do to speed it up and protect it from him in the meantime? I have a nipple shield, will that help protect it while healing?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Need to heal my nipple quick, help

• My LC told me to put Polysporin on them instead of Lanolin until they heal to prevent infection.  They healed really quickly.  Also, I asked about if I needed to wipe it off and she said that it will absorb in 1 hour.

• kofmkgkofmkg member

Presuming it's not thrush, which would require other treatment, I liked Motherlove nipple cream for sore nipples.  It's safe for ingestion and a little more pliable than lanolin for easier application.  I got it at Whole Foods.

I have no experience with nipplesheilds.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

• Loading the player...
  • Some LCs recommend a 1-2 day break if its that bad.  Can you pump w/o as bad of pain?
    Growing Baby Shelton: A Mommy Blog

BabyFruit Ticker
    Can't wait to meet my baby boy!
  • my medela lanolin spreads on pretty easy.  I will give motherslove a try though when I can get out to get it, or order online.

Yes I can pump without as much pain but I'm afraid to pump that side every other feeding (when he'd normally be eating off it) because then I either have to continue to feed on the other side or give him a bottle and I'm worried about getting my supply all messed up or him starting to prefer a bottle over me and we still have latch issues (which I"m sure is what caused this).

Do those soothies things have medication in them to help or is it just the cooling that makes it feel better but doesn't heal?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • kofmkgkofmkg member
    The soothies cool, but have no meds.  I also agree with pp-- that polysporin works pretty quickly.  It's in the 1st aid aisle. 

Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

• I'd consider pumping and feeding off your good breast. Your supply can adjust back once the nip heals.
  • My DD ruined my nipple to the point of bleeding when she was a week old. Part of it was my fault for not BF correctly. The lactation consultant gave me a prescription for a homemade ointment called Newman's Nipple Ointment that they made in the hospital pharmacy. The stuff was awesome. Nipple healed in less than 24 hours. I had to feed baby off the other nipple and gently pump sore nipple while it healed, but it did work.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had this-- so I went soothie happy, which was a bad idea-- it held in moisture and the skin fell off :(

Nipple shields are FABULOUS. I've ben on them for only half a day and it's already looking worlds better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"