Breastfeeding

Introducing the bottle

This has probably been asked a million times- I'm sorry.    How early were you able to introduce a bottle to your LO.  DH really wants to participate in night feedings- and I wouldn't mind the extra sleep! At our prenatal class she said it should be done within the first 3 weeks, but I've read conflicting information on that.  I'm sure its different for each baby.  Any early success stories or tips? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Introducing the bottle

• I want to say I started introducing DD to a bottle at 3 weeks.  I was going back to work at 6 weeks, so I wanted to make sure she got the hang of it early, but still wanted to BF when I got home from work.  My husband started out giving her one bottle every other day and then we ended up going to one bottle a day at 5 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband gave my LO a bottle at just under two weeks and he now takes 1-2 daily. The first bottle was a learning experience for all of us....now he has no issue switching between bottle and breast. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LC would tell you 6 weeks.  We had to supplement the last night in the hospital bc DS lost more than 10% of his weight.  Since we supplemented about 3 times, he was introduced to the bottle within the first week.  Once my milk came in, we waited about 2 more weeks before I started pumping into a bottle for DH to give DS.  He has no nipple confusion so I am very happy! GL!
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've read that btw 6-8 weeks is best.  We waited WAY too long and had problems when I went back to work.

https://growingbabyshelton.blogspot.com/2011/06/introducing-bottle-to-breastfed-baby.html

Growing Baby Shelton: A Mommy Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    Can't wait to meet my baby boy!
  • I always heard to do it between 3-4 weeks so this is what we did.  So far, she only gets her vitamin drops mixed with a little BM in a bottle.  She has had just a couple full feedings from a bottle so far.  It takes her a minute to get "latched" onto the bottle, but does just fine. 
  • Thank you! very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"