Breastfeeding

Building supply for daycare

I know I should have been doing this sooner as I go back to work in just a week and a half, but when do you pump to build a supply to send to daycare? She nurses every 2-4 hours still and from both sides almost every time. I have pumped a couple times after she has nursed, but that gives me maybe 1.5 ounces between both breasts. Any tips?

Re: Building supply for daycare

• Since DS STTN, I still get up in the middle of the night to pump and freeze.  Each time I pump, I get about 10oz total, so that's good for 2 feedings.  I noticed when I first initially started pumping I was barely getting 5oz total but once I established my routine, my body started producing more milk.  I've heard other people say to pump after the first feeding in the morning bc you're the fullest then.  Any 1.5 oz from both breasts after a feeding seems pretty good :) Just keep up the pumping after every feeding and your body will start to think you need more milk (but then you may deal with oversupply...I don't have any experience with this so I can't give advise).  GL!!!
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started pumping 2 weeks prior to my return to work, and had similar problems.  On the nights DD slept for a long stretch, I would pump at like 1 am.  I would also pump when she napped, even if I only got an ounce, it added up eventually.

Growing Baby Shelton: A Mommy Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    Can't wait to meet my baby boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh...and also.  If you're wanting to build your supply for daycare, you technically only need to have that first day's feedings built up.  Since you're returning to work (i'm assuming), you'll be pumping when you would have been feeding your LO so those pumping session's milk will be next day's feeding....hopefully that makes sense!
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When you know you are only going to get a small amount, do you still use a separate bag? So far, I've only used bottles, but I won't have enough bottles to continue that method. And it seems like a waste to use a bag for such a small amount. Sorry if I sound so naive; none of my family or friends BF and we don't have a BF support group in the area.
  • imagesept508:
    When you know you are only going to get a small amount, do you still use a separate bag? So far, I've only used bottles, but I won't have enough bottles to continue that method. And it seems like a waste to use a bag for such a small amount. Sorry if I sound so naive; none of my family or friends BF and we don't have a BF support group in the area.

I pump into the Medela bottles that came with the pump.  Then, if what I pump  from both breasts will fit into one bottle I combine the bottles into one bottle before I put it into the fridge. 

If I need to free up some of the Medela bottles I combine multiple bottles into an 8oz Dr. Browns bottle and use a storage cap.  If it has been a couple of days since I pumped the milk, and I already have enough for the next day's bottles, I freeze it in Lansinoh bags to add to my freezer stash.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! Very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"