March 2011 Moms

Rice cereal & hard stools

We started rice cereal at 3 months old, and he was doing fine to start.  However, it  has given him painful stools.  We are cutting back on the cereal, but I'm wondering if anyone has used apple juice to treat constipation of any sort.

We tried giving him diluted prune juice this past weekend, and he completely rejected it. 

He's a big boy - 16 lbs already.  With the cereal in his diet, he sleeps through the night from about 9pm to 6:30/7am.  He receives about 60% breastmilk / 40% formula.  He never did take to the breast, so I pump.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rice cereal & hard stools

• We did oatmeal instead of rice with DS #1 because it was less constipating for him.
  • One time LO didn't poop for DAYS. He was in so much pain :(. However juice didn't do ANYTHING for him.

Granted he was only on breastmilk,

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the same issue with my DS. He hadn't pooped for days, was in a lot of pain, and apple juice didn't do anything for him. He was only on breastmilk and we ended up having to do a liquid suppository to get him flowing. Needless to say, he's off the rice cereal for now.
  • Cant comment as to the rice cereal, but DS did go a number of days without pooping. We gave him 1 ounce of apple juice with his bottle (he is FF) in the morning and he had a bowel movement that afternoon. When DD was a baby I remember having to do this a few times for her as well.
    imageimage
  • We did oatmeal and barley with DS instead of rice cereal because it constipated him. He was also on soy formula and became really constipated on that so our pedi told me to add some prune juice to his bottle- I added it once a day and he would poop almost immediately afterwards, and without pain.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do rice at night and oatmeal in the morning to balance him out. Before last week (when we started oatmeal), we would try apple juice first for constipation. If that doesn't work we give him 1 oz prunce juice.

Somtimes I also add an extra half ounce of water to his bottles for a day.

I've also used a thermometer to get him going.

• we never did rice, we do oatmeal.  the pedi told us that was less constipating.  he also said if we notice anything making addy constipated that we should try any fruit with a pit.  prunes, peaches, etc. hope LO feels better.
    Bre Wrties
  • My SILs boys were FF and she would put Caro syrup in their bottle to help them go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"