Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Why is a Disney Vaca 'brave'?

In Sept, were visiting family in Orlando and decided to take our 2 yo and 5 mo old to Disney for one day.  The tix are deeply discounted through a friend.  I think DD1 would love the Disney characters and maybe enjoy some of the rides like the tea cups.  I know it's not an idea place for an infant but DD2 is going to have to tag along and she would be in the stroller most of the day.  When I bring this up to other moms who have older children they comment that I'm brave or they would never do it.  Yet, I can't get a good reason why from them other than their own experience was horrible w/o going into specifics.

I feel knowledge would prepare me. Why is Disney a bad idea? What was your experience?  I know the girls won't remember the vacation but thought it would make a fun day?  Am I wrong?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why is a Disney Vaca 'brave'?

• Options

I think people just mean that it's crazy crowded, lots of lines, etc--and that can be hard to deal with with a LO, especially a baby. However, we took DD (my IL's came too) when she was 10 months old. We had a blast. We went in November, and lines were minimal, and the weather was really nice. We also had the IL's to help us out, stay with her while we rode rides, etc. There was also a TON she could ride, even at that age. She loved Dumbo, and was in awe of It's a Small World.

We're going on a Disney Cruise in Nov of this year, and are taking DD to Magic Kingdom for a couple of days beforehand. I am so excited! She'll be almost 3.

I think you'll have a blast--especially if you have someone along to help with the 5 mo old. Have fun!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options

There's just a lot of lines and coming on and off things.  Its not a relaxing vacation by any means.  It wasn't bad, just hectic. 

PSA - unless you pay to go to the character dinners/events, you don't see that many characters around.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    the long lines (many rides have hour or longer waits in summer), crowds (could barely walk through some parts much less push a stroller when crowed), walking, heat, and price would be why I would not take mine, but if you got a good deal and you have help (and the crowds may have died down in Sept) then you may be fine and have a blast.  I love Disney, but I don't plan on taking mine until my youngest is probably 3 and we will prob do the whole Disney vacation for a week and do all the parks then.
  • Options
    I think it depends on your expectations.  If you're going to be happy spending just a few hours there and hitting up a few kiddie rides solo (since someone will have to wait with the baby), then go.  Especially if you got a great deal.  But expecting more than that is probably "brave" - it's going to be sticky hot and crowded and I know my son would get totally overstimulated and probably not be super cooperative.  I just prefer to wait to take them until we can all actually enjoy it.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I have taken DD twice to Disney - Feb 2010 & Feb 2011. I have a work conference on property and my Mom comes with me to watch her during the day. Both times, we had a great time. I think the key is to plan to do about half of whatever you want to do. We did one park each day and sometimes only part of it. She napped alot so we would either go back to the hotel or walk around and scope things out. I'm glad we went and will continue. DH and I will go sometime probably too but since I get a free trip, we are just taking advantage of it while we can.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Options
    There are actually very few rides that your toddler can go on that the baby can not go on.  We have season passes and they can both ride; snow white, its a small world, tea cups, pirates, haunted mansion, buzz, carolsel, pooh, there is no reason for anyone to wait out with the baby.  Also, don't forget about the baby center.  It is between Casey's hotdogs, and the Crystal Place and is wonderful.  It has feeding rooms with rockers, changing tables, and the staff is very helpful.  Have a great trip!
  • Options
    I think if you play it by ear when you're at the park, take as many breaks as the kids need, and keep them fed and hydrated, you'll be okay.  Do you have tix that allow you to leave the park for naptime and then go back later?  That would probably be ideal.  Or, do you have a double stroller for both kids so your 2 year old can rest/try to nap during their usual nap time?  DH and I went to Disney last Sept. (without kids), and the parks weren't terribly crowded.  Since most families with school-age kids just went back to school, it wasn't as busy as other times during the year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've never been to Disneyworld, only Disneyland. But we've taken our DD since she was 6 months old. She's had such a fun time. We took my DS also when he was 4 months old, he was fine the whole day, drizzle and everything. I think people know when they go, there is going to be a lot of people and long lines. I think you'll have fun!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

It will be great - as others said, manage your expectations. Prepare for lines, do some homework and figure out which rides that are "must dos" for your family have fast passes also. Fantasyland is obviously the big draw for the little ones; if your kids get up early, get there at what they call "rope drop" when the park first opens and do those rides first. Especially Dumbo!! They are expanding the ride, but I don't think it will be done in September. Right now, the line gets sooo long and the ride is sooo short :) If you do those rides early, you'll be hitting nap time/snack time/lunch time during the hottest part of the day where you can find someplace shady to rest and then hit the parade.

As far as characters, we ended up not doing a character meal on our last visit and saw TONS of characters. When we went in May, Mickey/Minnie and "the princesses" had their own spots in Town Hall. Both had fast passes. We waited less than 10 mins to see Mickey. Pooh and Piglet are usually stationed outside their ride in Fantasyland; Buzz is in Tomorrowland; Woodie in Frontierland; Pluto and Daisy both were out in front of Main Street. Grab a schedule and they are pretty easy to find. The only "ridiculous" line (longer than 20 mins) we saw was for the Tangled characters and it was seriously like an hour and a half!

• Options
    LLB430LLB430 member

We took dd when she was 10 months old and this past April just after she turned 2. It was awesome.  She was easy peasy there at 10 months and at 2 she did great!  It ended up being very busy when we went and she did awesome.  She hardly ever sits in a stroller anymore but she gave us no problem the whole day.  Lines move quick and I highly recommend fast passing Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise.  We only did Magic Kingdom but got to do everything we wanted.  We were there from 9 am to 11 pm and she did amazing, with one short nap in her stroller.

Have a great time!! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options

Its as easy as you can make it.

I know two friends who took their LO, and they all came back with positive reviews.

I think IMHO you have to plan plan plan.  Go to a resort that is as close as possible to MK (the kiddie kingdom), and make sure you can get a resort with a pool/playground on site things for the kids to do.  Plan to come back to the hotel for naps and relaxation...

Don't plan to spend a billion hours there, as most kids don't have the same stamina as adults do.  Do your research, I think they allow coolers (not sure), and bring snacks and drinks...you don't want to stand on a long line with an over heated toddler - efficiency & planning is key. 

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it's just in what you expect to get out of it.  Parents who have gone with older kids and are paying big bucks for the week long Disney experience probably nearly killed themselves trying to fit in every single thing.  The thought of doing that kind of thing with a toddler and an infant rightfully send shudders through their spines.  But if you're going for the day as part of a bigger family trip, with cheap tickets, you'll have a great time.  DH and I took DD 4 months ago (she was 2.5) to Disneyland in CA as part of a trip to visit relatives.  My cousin works there and got us free tickets, and free tickets for my parents, too, so they could take DD when DH and I wanted to go on some less kid friendly rides.  It was fantastic, and DD still talks about it.  The whole thing cost us less than $50 in snacks and souvenirs.  If you can bring one of the local friends or relatives with you to help, that would also reduce the stress you might encounter.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We took our daughter when she was 18 months and 2 1/2.  We went the first week in December both times.  I think you just have to know when it's time to call it a day or go back to your room and take a break for awhile.  This past December when we went, we were in our room by 8 or 9 at night every evening except for one.  We just took our time going through the parks and didn't push our child.  We are all about creating memories with our daughter and she is still talking about our trip and loves to look at the pictures. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    We went two weeks ago so don't have the baby experience but still had naps, etc. We got on most rides with no waits and got fast passes whenever we could. We only waited for it's a small world (30 min) and the Tomorrowland Speedway (20 minutes each and we went 3 times). We did see several characters but DS was terribly afraid of them so we didn't bother waiting. We didn't get on Dumbo but rode the magic carpets twice with no wait. The baby center is great. We went in there to change DS after leaky diaper, very clean and air conditioned. We didn't do everything and at the end of the day dh went back to watch hockey and we stayed for the parade and fireworks. While waiting I let him pick the ride and we ended up at the speedway and they let us go in a different spot because he really wanted to get a blue car. He's still talking about the blue race car. The last morning we just drove to the Contemporary and on a loop on the monorail (we stayed at Wilderness Lodge so had taken boats). He'd of been happy with just that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"