May 2011 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion Thursday

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday

• Options

I think its ridiculous that I am not allowed to eat anything other than jello or broth.I haven't eaten anything besides those two things since 9:30 Monday night.

I think its stupid that I can't sleep because my vitals are taken so often.

I think its stupid that the one website that lets you play angry birds is blocked by the hospital firewall. All game sites are in fact.

I hate that I have to pump and dump. (this one is mostly a vent)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    tlxh7tlxh7 member

While I agree that you can't spoil a newborn, I think you can create very bad habits.  I think babies do know on some level how to manipulate, even if they don't consciously realize they're doing it.  For example, say you're EBF and decide that you want baby to take a bottle (or need them to for daycare).  Every time you (or DH or whoever) gives baby the bottle, he fusses, and eventually you give in and give him the boob.  On some level, I think the baby "understands" that if he fusses long enough when offered the bottle, he'll get the boob.

Also, I disagree completely with people that say there is no inappropriate place to breastfeed.  I don't have a problem with BFing anywhere that a bottle would be fed, but I think there are places/times when bottle feeding is inappropriate, thus BFing is inappropriate then, too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kck329kck329 member
    imagetlxh7:

While I agree that you can't spoil a newborn, I think you can create very bad habits.  I think babies do know on some level how to manipulate, even if they don't consciously realize they're doing it.  For example, say you're EBF and decide that you want baby to take a bottle (or need them to for daycare).  Every time you (or DH or whoever) gives baby the bottle, he fusses, and eventually you give in and give him the boob.  On some level, I think the baby "understands" that if he fusses long enough when offered the bottle, he'll get the boob.

Also, I disagree completely with people that say there is no inappropriate place to breastfeed.  I don't have a problem with BFing anywhere that a bottle would be fed, but I think there are places/times when bottle feeding is inappropriate, thus BFing is inappropriate then, too.

Such as? 

My UP: Sometimes I enjoy getting up in the middle of the night with DD. Its a special time for only us and lots of sweet cuddles after she eats. Plus she is SO cute when she stretches after waking up.

• Options
    imagekck329:
    imagetlxh7:

Such as? 

I'm wondering too. I can only think of one place that is inappropriate to BF in my eyes and that's sitting in a pew at church. So I either bring a couple of ounces and bottle feed or I go to the mothers room that has very comfy recliners and I BF.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    imagetlxh7:

First, if you BF then you (the mother) aren't suppose to give the baby the bottle. They expect the boob from you anyways. Always give someone else the bottle. And you should then be experimenting with bottles. Not all bottles are the same. They will find one they like and refuse all others by crying. 

Second, I must ask where is it inappropriate to feed you child? Is it inappropriate to feed yourself some where to? I can see maybe shoving a big mac into your face next to a homeless man, but seriously unless you are sitting in the bathroom at the highway truck stop, I can't think of anytime else. 

Meimsx says in a pew at church for BFing, which I can agree to some extent, but the child needs to eat. As long as you're covered,  and not flashing the congregation, I don't see an issue

My UO: I hate when DH tries to put her to bed. He doesn't do her routine right and I have to fix it anyways. She cries until I go in and turn on her giraffe or something else small. 

I am tired of unsolicited advice. I yelled at my mom yesterday for telling me I need to just let her cry sometimes! It's my child. If I decide to let her scream and throw her out a window (don't worry I wont) or tend to her every need and cuddle her, I will do it, she's my child. 

My friend is giving away her dog because she can't handle a dog and a three month old without her husband around. I couldn't give my pup away ever. I think she is being irresponsible and should never have the rights to own another dog.  

• Options
    imagemegbaby13:
    imagetlxh7:

First, if you BF then you (the mother) aren't suppose to give the baby the bottle. They expect the boob from you anyways. Always give someone else the bottle. And you should then be experimenting with bottles. Not all bottles are the same. They will find one they like and refuse all others by crying. 

Second, I must ask where is it inappropriate to feed you child? Is it inappropriate to feed yourself some where to? I can see maybe shoving a big mac into your face next to a homeless man, but seriously unless you are sitting in the bathroom at the highway truck stop, I can't think of anytime else. 

Meimsx says in a pew at church for BFing, which I can agree to some extent, but the child needs to eat. As long as you're covered,  and not flashing the congregation, I don't see an issue

My UO: I hate when DH tries to put her to bed. He doesn't do her routine right and I have to fix it anyways. She cries until I go in and turn on her giraffe or something else small. 

I am tired of unsolicited advice. I yelled at my mom yesterday for telling me I need to just let her cry sometimes! It's my child. If I decide to let her scream and throw her out a window (don't worry I wont) or tend to her every need and cuddle her, I will do it, she's my child. 

My friend is giving away her dog because she can't handle a dog and a three month old without her husband around. I couldn't give my pup away ever. I think she is being irresponsible and should never have the rights to own another dog.  

I'm confused as to where it's inappropriate to bottle feed your child. I understand that some people don't feel comfortable bfing in public, but I agree with Meimsx that a pew at church is the only inappropriate place.

My friend got a cat and after a week gave her to a shelter because she said she didn't have time to get her acquainted to the house. I was completely blown away because it's a cat! Cat's get themselves situated, and also my friend is a SAHM to a 2 year old so I'm not sure how she has no time to take care of a cat.

• Options
    imagemeimsx:

I think its ridiculous that I am not allowed to eat anything other than jello or broth.I haven't eaten anything besides those two things since 9:30 Monday night.

I think its stupid that I can't sleep because my vitals are taken so often.

I think its stupid that the one website that lets you play angry birds is blocked by the hospital firewall. All game sites are in fact.

I hate that I have to pump and dump. (this one is mostly a vent)

Oh no, I must have missed something.  Why are you in the hospital?  Get better soon!

• Options
    imagemeimsx:
    imagekck329:
    imagetlxh7:

Such as? 

I'm wondering too. I can only think of one place that is inappropriate to BF in my eyes and that's sitting in a pew at church. So I either bring a couple of ounces and bottle feed or I go to the mothers room that has very comfy recliners and I BF.

My church has a nursing room, but if it didn't, I would BF in church...

• Options
    I would never give my dogs away, but it is really tough to handle them (2 Westies, age 5 and 3) + the baby.  I'm sure they want to give me away at this point.  They do not get nearly the attention from me they are used to and I feel horrible aobut it.
  • Options
    imagemeimsx:
    imagekck329:
    imagetlxh7:

Such as? 

I would think there is no place MORE appropriate than at church. Then again, I don't attend one. Then AGAIN, I would never attend any church that would frown upon a woman BFing during the service. You bring your baby with you to attend as a family and they fuss/cry because they are hungry and you are expected (or feel like you should) get up and leave the service instead of just feed them right there? Oh man, the sheer thought find of makes my blood boil... I hope no one here actually does this... Sad plus Tongue Tied plus Indifferent !!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepook:
    I would never give my dogs away, but it is really tough to handle them (2 Westies, age 5 and 3) + the baby.  I'm sure they want to give me away at this point.  They do not get nearly the attention from me they are used to and I feel horrible aobut it.

It is hard to handle dogs with young children! I have a 3 year old DD, my 5 week old DS, a 6 year old miniature Volpino Italiano who has a terribly small bladder, and a 3 month old Yorkie, Maltese, Miniature Schnauzer mix who also still has accidents. I am constantly running after someone/cleaning up after someone/dealing with someones unhappiness so I know it's craziness but I would never give away my dogs!

• Options
    imagenycdueinmay:
    imagemeimsx:
    imagekck329:
    imagetlxh7:

Such as? 

I would think there is no place MORE appropriate than at church. Then again, I don't attend one. Then AGAIN, I would never attend any church that would frown upon a woman BFing during the service. You bring your baby with you to attend as a family and they fuss/cry because they are hungry and you are expected (or feel like you should) get up and leave the service instead of just feed them right there? Oh man, the sheer thought find of makes my blood boil... I hope no one here actually does this... Sad plus Tongue Tied plus Indifferent !!

I don't miss the service at all. They have it broadcast in the nursing room. With the way my baby fusses before I can get the boob out I think its better but there are some women who whip it out sitting in the pew. I've never seen it but my mom has.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable. Especially last week when I forgot a cover up. Oops.

Pook, I had my gallbladder removed. I thought it was just bad gas and bloat and stuff. Then Monday night it got really bad and I thought on top of that I had food poisoning from Panera. Turns out I had a gallstone that was blocking the duct. 

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    TlXh7: the only place I wouldn't nurse is a room with a toilet.
    Meimsx: I'm sorry, have you tried addictinggames.com? I'm sure you have but I had to ask.
    Pook: I've been neglecting my dogs since my 2nd tri, they are too big and rambunctious!
    Megbaby: I have given my LO 3 diff bottles with diff nipples on all and she never fussed once, all babies are different. I don't think there are too many rights and wrongs when it comes to caring for babies. The only wrong I can think of is, abusing, injuring, or endangering your child intentionally
    imageimage
  • Options

Mine is also more of a vent than an UO:

We still have Effing Thrush! I can't seem to get rid of it, we've been on 2 rounds of Nystatin, Gentian Violet, and still nothing helps. I've boiled everything, I've not boiled everything, I've cut out breads and sweets, stopped that, nothing makes a damn difference, taking acidophilus and GSE with no results. The pedi said to see if it just runs it's course but it makes me sad to see his poor little tongue all white and sore looking. *Sigh...

On the BFing in public/bottle in public, I would also like to know these inappropriate places. I've BFed in public already and could care less who sees me (I DO cover up though). Honestly though, I'm pretty sure every adult has either seen a boob, or has one so anyone who has a problem seeing a bit of top-boob, or maybe a touch of nipple while we struggle with the damn nursing cover can suck it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tlxh7tlxh7 member

To those who asked when I find feeding a baby inappropriate, there are very few situations, but there are some.  Such as, during the middle of a funeral service where the baby is being loud while eating (smacking, grunting, whatever).  The only time I think this would be okay is if the person feeding the baby was extremely close to the deceased (ie, spouse or child).  There are other places available that will not be disruptive, and most churches or funeral homes have nursery-style rooms that have audio from the service available in them.

I don't have a problem with feeding during a normal Sunday church service, as long as it's done without completely disrupting the service (ie, child screaming inconsolably at the top of their lungs for several minutes before bottle is ready).

ETA: Also, as was clearly stated in my original post, I have no problem with NIP, I only find it inappropriate in situations where the baby eating at all (bottle or breast) is inappropriate.  It bothers me when nursing mothers assume that they have a right to feed anywhere and anytime with no thought as to whether there would be just as much backlash if they were bottle feeding as breast feeding.

• Options

I think it's inappropriate to BF in church. It's distracting. Yes, good for you for taking your family to church, but because you whipped out your boob, you distracted others from paying attention to the sermon. If you are at church and it's time to eat, give the baby a bottle or go to the bathroom/nursing room or the nursery. But don't distract others.

My UO: I look down on people who think they can do whatever they want where ever and whenever they want. You are not the only one in the world, nor does it revolve around you. Take other people into consideration.

• Options
    imagetlxh7:

To those who asked when I find feeding a baby inappropriate, there are very few situations, but there are some.  Such as, during the middle of a funeral service where the baby is being loud while eating (smacking, grunting, whatever).  The only time I think this would be okay is if the person feeding the baby was extremely close to the deceased (ie, spouse or child).  There are other places available that will not be disruptive, and most churches or funeral homes have nursery-style rooms that have audio from the service available in them.

I don't have a problem with feeding during a normal Sunday church service, as long as it's done without completely disrupting the service (ie, child screaming inconsolably at the top of their lungs for several minutes before bottle is ready).

I can't say I've ever been seriously disrupted by a child eating. I think that most people have their bottles already prepared or they go to the bathroom or kitchen at church to prepare a bottle. Why would the child be screaming for several minutes while a bottle is prepared? This just doesn't make sense to me.

• Options
    imagemuddin_lil_sis:

I think it's inappropriate to BF in church. It's distracting. Yes, good for you for taking your family to church, but because you whipped out your boob, you distracted others from paying attention to the sermon. If you are at church and it's time to eat, give the baby a bottle or go to the bathroom/nursing room or the nursery. But don't distract others.

My UO: I look down on people who think they can do whatever they want where ever and whenever they want. You are not the only one in the world, nor does it revolve around you. Take other people into consideration.

I'm not going to change who I am or how I act because someone is close minded. I live in America and I have rights and freedom to live my life the way I want. I can't stop some jackass from smoking his cigarette right in front of the entrance to the store I'm walking into, and no one will stop me from BFing where I want to. It's what we have to deal with. Oh well. Don't like it? Too bad.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've never seen Grease, Dirty Dancing or Ghost.
  • Options
    imagetlxh7:

Very small babies don't yet understand causation. Their minds can't process, "if I do X then Y happens." Eventually they can, but not at the age of our babies.

• Options
    imagemeimsx:

I don't miss the service at all. They have it broadcast in the nursing room. With the way my baby fusses before I can get the boob out I think its better but there are some women who whip it out sitting in the pew. I've never seen it but my mom has.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable. Especially last week when I forgot a cover up. Oops.

The church I attended as a child had an intercom/video system in the nursery/day care for nursing moms, as I believe most churches do now. And I understand if it is an issue of personal comfort. But I'm sticking to the mantra that I would never attend a church whose congregation frowned upon, or made a mother feel uncomfortable, for nursing in a pew during a service. I'm pretty sure whatever higher being you are there to worship would prefer that you stay and feed your child, not politely excuse yourself because you might offend someone with your body. And that offended person should be wildly ashamed of themself.

• Options

First, some background:  I had a hospital birth at 42w1d, was induced with Pitocin, but accepted no other meds during delivery.  No epidural, no stadol (my 2 options).  I wanted a med-free birth and worked hard to keep it that way.  

My UO:  Although everything didn't go perfectly (episiotomy, vacuum, etc),  I still had the med-free birth that I wanted.  Because of how my RECOVERY has been, however, I would seriously consider opting for an elective c-section next time.  If I could do the med-free birth again but skip the recovery, I would.  But, I can't.  And I don't think I can deal again with the sheer amount of pain that recovery has been for me again.  My recovery pain has been 10 times worse than my delivery pain and I actually cry from the pain;  I didn't cry from the delivery pain.  No one warned me about recovery pain.

Boy #1, born 6/5/2011
    Boy #2, born 8/27/2014

Currently... Pregnant with mo/di BOY TWINS!  Due September 15.  Latest induction will be 37w.
  • Options
    imageambrkn:
    imagemegbaby13:

This! Although in my case it's the MIL not the mother. We closed on our house last week so instead of paying another month rent while we paint the house and do a few more minor things we decided to stay with his parents for a month. OMG I'm going to go crazy.
    I know my son, I have successfully kept him alive in the past 7 weeks. I know when he's hungry and I know when he's just being fussy, I don't need you to put your 2 cents in.
    And for heaven sakes stop calling my baby by his other name. We are calling him KEAGAN, yes we did put your first husbands (My DH's dad's) name in his but we aren't calling him by this. So stop confusing my child and just call him Keagan! Sorry that may have been more of a vent. Embarrassed

Oh, and megbaby there is a onesie for a girl at Target that says "My Mom Doesn't Need Your Advice" lol If they made one that wasn't pink I would have bought it myself and he would wear it everyday lol

I totally bought that onesie the other day! My MIL is real big on the unsolicited advice. She is also a PITA and tries to control the way we raise our DD. Then if she (my MIL) doesn't get her way she pouts worse than my DD. I know my daughter, I know (mostly) what her cries mean. Sometimes it is okay to give her the paci but only as a last resort. I know when DD is hungry and just being fuzzy. Let us (DH and I) raise our own child!

• Options
    imagetlxh7:

ETA: Also, as was clearly stated in my original post, I have no problem with NIP, I only find it inappropriate in situations where the baby eating at all (bottle or breast) is inappropriate.  It bothers me when nursing mothers assume that they have a right to feed anywhere and anytime with no thought as to whether there would be just as much backlash if they were bottle feeding as breast feeding.

When is inappropriate for a baby to be eating? I think mothers who are nursing or bottle feeding have the right to do so wherever and whenever their baby is hungry. you would not deny someone the right to eat when they are hungry. Why would you deny that right to a young baby?

• Options
    imagerainfallki:

First, some background:  I had a hospital birth at 42w1d, was induced with Pitocin, but accepted no other meds during delivery.  No epidural, no stadol (my 2 options).  I wanted a med-free birth and worked hard to keep it that way.  

My UO:  Although everything didn't go perfectly (episiotomy, vacuum, etc),  I still had the med-free birth that I wanted.  Because of how my RECOVERY has been, however, I would seriously consider opting for an elective c-section next time.  If I could do the med-free birth again but skip the recovery, I would.  But, I can't.  And I don't think I can deal again with the sheer amount of pain that recovery has been for me again.  My recovery pain has been 10 times worse than my delivery pain and I actually cry from the pain;  I didn't cry from the delivery pain.  No one warned me about recovery pain.

I've said this before too. My recovery has been okay so it's not because of that, it's because of my traumatic birth experience. A c-section can't be worse than what I've been through.

• Options
    tlxh7tlxh7 member
    imageRGWalsh:
    imagetlxh7:

When is inappropriate for a baby to be eating? I think mothers who are nursing or bottle feeding have the right to do so wherever and whenever their baby is hungry. you would not deny someone the right to eat when they are hungry. Why would you deny that right to a young baby?

Seriously?  Did you not read the beginning of this post?  Obviously I don't expect the child to go hungry, but there is usually another place the baby can be fed in situations where it could be disruptive.

• Options
    imagenycdueinmay:
    imagemeimsx:
    imagekck329:
    imagetlxh7:

Such as? 

I am pretty sure Mary formula fed Jesus.  

• Options
    imageAnneShirleyBlythe:
    imagenycdueinmay:
    imagemeimsx:
    imagekck329:
    imagetlxh7:

Such as? 

I am pretty sure Mary formula fed Jesus.  

I've got some extra Enfamil checks if she needs 'em.

• Options
    imagetlxh7:
    imageRGWalsh:
    imagetlxh7:

Seriously?  Did you not read the beginning of this post?  Obviously I don't expect the child to go hungry, but there is usually another place the baby can be fed in situations where it could be disruptive.

A screaming fussing hungry baby is more disruptive then a quiet suckling sleepy baby.
    imageimage
  • Options

I fail to see what can be disruptive about nursing a baby. I think a screaming infant is far more disruptive.

• Options
    And really? Are you really seeing more boob with a nursing baby than you are walking through 98% of the high schools in this country? Or in any Target? WTF. 
  • Options
    darmcadarmca member
    imagepook:
    imagemeimsx:
    imagekck329:
    imagetlxh7:

Such as? 

My church has a nursing room, but if it didn't, I would BF in church...

I don't go to church, but if I did I would totally nurse in the pew, discreetly of course. I do believe in God, and I think that He wouldn't want women to miss out on a particularly moving or reflective sermon because they have to leave to feed their baby. He gave us boobs to feed babies, I don't think He'd be offended if you fed in church- and if anyone else would be, that's their problem.

• Options
    A new UO: I fail to see what is so wonderful about manicures and pedicures.
  • Options
    imageAnneShirleyBlythe:

I fail to see what can be disruptive about nursing a baby. I think a screaming infant is far more disruptive.

Boobs are an abomination! Eves boobs were a direct result of her eating the apple. God never intended us to feed babies this way!
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagenycdueinmay:
    A new UO: I fail to see what is so wonderful about manicures and pedicures.
    The massage is the wonderful part. The scraping and clipping are the unfun parts. The polish is just unnecessary since it chips or smudges after a week.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagetlxh7:
    imageRGWalsh:
    imagetlxh7:

Sorry I misunderstood you.

• Options
    Have I missed the answer where we found out where it is inappropriate to feed a child at all? I have never once seen anyone ever get offended about a baby bottle feeding so I am really curious about this one. 
  • Options

There may be situations where you simply should not be there with a baby (which to me, means be there at all myself unless I really want to go). Those are the only situations where I wouldn't breastfeed my son. You know, like skydiving.

I think a lot of the advice on the Bump, even on the breastfeeding board, is pretty anti-breastfeeding. It pisses me off.

• Options
    imageAnneShirleyBlythe:
    Have I missed the answer where we found out where it is inappropriate to feed a child at all? I have never once seen anyone ever get offended about a baby bottle feeding so I am really curious about this one. 
    Your not supposed to feed babies at a funeral!
    imageimage
  • Options
    On a related note, I wish mcwhittiker (sp?) would come back and tell us how her plan to breastfeed only when no one is looking is going.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"