Advice..how do i get my twins to stop biting each other? — The Bump
Multiples

Advice..how do i get my twins to stop biting each other?

My girls are almost 13 months old and they have discovered biting. Allison has actually left bite marks on her sister...how do i discipline this? Thanks in advance for any advice:)
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Advice..how do i get my twins to stop biting each other?

• My girls went through this too and luckily it is just a phase.  At that age, it is very hard to discipline.  We made sure we told them no, that they can't do that, etc.  Eventually they will grow out of it.
  • my DD wasn't much of a biter, but when she did it on those few occasions I did 3 basic things 1) said "no bite" sternly with no trace of something that would make her laugh at my reaction and 2) removed her from being close to me (since it was me she bit) 3) worked on a word to teach her to avoid frustration. don't know if your girls are talking much, but we focused on teaching DD "help" and "please" pretty early on so that she had a way to say what she wanted/needed instead of getting mad and biting/hitting/crying/etc..

i don't know how much that helps, b/c I only had one doing it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageklr210:

my DD wasn't much of a biter, but when she did it on those few occasions I did 3 basic things 1) said "no bite" sternly with no trace of something that would make her laugh at my reaction and 2) removed her from being close to me (since it was me she bit) 3) worked on a word to teach her to avoid frustration. don't know if your girls are talking much, but we focused on teaching DD "help" and "please" pretty early on so that she had a way to say what she wanted/needed instead of getting mad and biting/hitting/crying/etc..

They're somewhat talking but its mostly just babbling still..they try and repeat things when you say them like uh oh and stuff like that but i don't think they understand many things yet. I was just wondering how i'm supposed to discipline this since its not me that she's biting its always her sister...and now i have another set of twins that are soon to be my step kids and i don't want them all biting each other lol hopefully like PP said its just a phase and they will grow out of it hopefully sooner than later lol thanks for the advice 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagelkates921:
    imageklr210:

my DD wasn't much of a biter, but when she did it on those few occasions I did 3 basic things 1) said "no bite" sternly with no trace of something that would make her laugh at my reaction and 2) removed her from being close to me (since it was me she bit) 3) worked on a word to teach her to avoid frustration. don't know if your girls are talking much, but we focused on teaching DD "help" and "please" pretty early on so that she had a way to say what she wanted/needed instead of getting mad and biting/hitting/crying/etc..

They're somewhat talking but its mostly just babbling still..they try and repeat things when you say them like uh oh and stuff like that but i don't think they understand many things yet. I was just wondering how i'm supposed to discipline this since its not me that she's biting its always her sister...and now i have another set of twins that are soon to be my step kids and i don't want them all biting each other lol hopefully like PP said its just a phase and they will grow out of it hopefully sooner than later lol thanks for the advice 

I would move DD away from me. like if we were on the couch, I'd lift her up and move her to the other end while saying it, or put her down if I were holding her. If you see it can you physically pick her up and move her a couple feet away while telling her no biting so she'll learn biting=separation? Would be harder of course if you're not seeing it right when it happens.

Another method that I thought was funny (but apparently ineffective)... a friends DS was biting her so she put hot sauce where he bit her frequently (her shoulder I think, I dont remember exactly). What I do remember is that the only thing it did was show her he liked hot sauce!

I hope it is just a phase too that passes soon with minimal intervention!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Milina was big into biting her sister...we would tell her "no biting, ouch, you hurt ava" and move her away from her sister (they were usually in the living room and we would move her into the adjoining dining room for a mini timeout...I can't remember what age we started that tho with the timeouts...it may have been closer to 15 months...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards