3rd Trimester

heading home?

How big do babies have to be to leave the hospital?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: heading home?

• Depends on the hospital and their policies. Mine it's just whenever the baby is breathing and eating fine on it's own and no apnea issues. If they are under 5 lbs they have to go home in a special carseat bed that the hospital has. 
  • My NICU's criteria was maintaining body temp, taking all feeds (at least 20cc's of BM/formula) by mouth for 48 hrs, and no apnea/brady spells (I think for a week? could be wrong on that, though, we never had those problems). They also had to pass a car seat test - sitting in their car seat for 1hr while on the monitor and having no issues. Weight wasn't a criteria, my DD came home at 3lb 14oz. We did have to get a different car seat, ours was rated for 5lbs+ and we had to buy one for 4lbs+. 

Here's DD on coming home day! Tiny :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know much about preemies but I don't think there are weight requirements for babies leaving a hospital.  They are born at all different weights so I don't think that would make much sense if you had to wait till they were all say, 8 lbs. or something. 
  • imageislandgirl79:
    I don't know much about preemies but I don't think there are weight requirements for babies leaving a hospital.  They are born at all different weights so I don't think that would make much sense if you had to wait till they were all say, 8 lbs. or something. 

No, some hospitals do have weights, it's usually like 4 or 5lbs, and I think the majority of NICUs don't.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks gals for the information.  My LO is 4lbs on the fetal growth scan.  I just hope she gains a few more lbs before I have her.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"