Attachment Parenting

can you always continue to nurse while pregnant

if you drink enough water and consume enough calories?  Or do some women take a huge supply hit and breastfeeding can no longer happen?  Or does the taste change drastically and lo will refuse?

I have my period again and my supply always drops when it is going on, will it be a similar supply drop to that or much more drastic?  I can't stand the thought of weaning before my lo would like, but I would like to start ttc before weaning.

Re: can you always continue to nurse while pregnant

• aglennaglenn member
    I'm sure it varies by person, but here is a link from kellymom with some good information.  I've been reading up because I'm wondering what will happen with DD now that I'm pregnant.  She is still very attached to nursing, but I don't really think she's taking in much milk any more anyway.  It's definitely just a comfort thing now.  She may be one of those who is not upset about the supply drop and keeps going.  We'll see.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think everyone can nurse through their pregnancies... I think some women notice a huge supply hit and LO weans, some women's supply dwindles and LO doesn't wean, some women dont have as much milk, but still have some and LO weans or doesn't, and some women take no supply hit at all!! TOTAL crapshoot. What I've noticed so far is that my supply dropped like it used to every time I got my period. Also, LO was turned off at first, by I guess the taste, and would pull off and look at my boob like "hey! What's going on here?" Now, things are back to normal - I don't have a huge supply, but I'm sustaining what she needs. And I have a feeling even if I had nothing, my LO would dry nurse (just the thought sends shivers down my spine!). I'm not feeling nursing anymore and my nips hurt a lot, but I will keep going for my babe.
  • Loading the player...
  • So far, my supply hasn't tanked...actually increased. I'm a drippy mess just like when Henry was a newborn. Lovely.
    Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BFab11BFab11 member
    Many women lose supply or their milk changes and LO weans. Unless you're at risk for preterm labor or something there's no medical reason to stop. Your body will put the pregnancy before milk production. At some point it stops being about supply/demand and starts being about hormones, so there's no way to guarantee your milk will hang out throughout pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everyone is different.  I am 26 weeks (tomorrow) and DD will be 23 months old (tomorrow) and she still nurses twice a day.  She eats 3 meals a day and at least 2 snacks a day.  I would say that most of her nutrition comes from solids.  She still gets some milk out of me, but I can't say how much.  Also, I've noticed colostrum lately.  

DD is definitely a comfort nurser.  I think that she would nurse even if I totally dried up.  It hasn't been very comfortable, but it isn't unbearable.  There were a few weeks in first tri where I was very sensitive.  I have been sensitive on one side or the other pretty much non-stop since then.  DD is just not ready to wean, and I'm okay with that. 

• No.  Not everyone can.  But many women can.  There is no way to know in advance.  

I always have had over supply and I am finding myself lacking (big time) now.  But I know I could also drink more too.  And it took awhile, it didn't happen right away-- sometime in the second tri.  Since your LO is already 1, if I were you, I wouldn't put off TTC for that reason.  Who knows how long it will take to get pg or if your supply will be very affected.  I don't feel bad about the supply decrease, I think it makes weaning easier.  My LO doesn't cry and fuss about nursing or seem upset at all.  I let him nurse when he wants and he is happy, although sometimes the lack of milk can make it uncomfortable after awhile.  And I find he is so busy he doesn't think about nursing a lot anyway.

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I was reading an interview about breastfeeding last night, it was with Michelle Duggar. She said she always gets her period back at 6 weeks pp and that she usually gets pregnant around 8 months pp. She said that for some reason, her milk always seems to dry up about a month after getting pregnant.

I've never heard of anyone else who had that much of an issue with it, though, so it's probably not that severe for most people. My grandmother did say that once she found out she was pregnant because my uncle had diarrhea after she nursed him but obviously so many people nurse while pregnant without those issues so I would just see what happens and hope for the best.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm currently nursing a 17 month old and I'm 17 weeks pregnant. So far I haven't noticed any decrease in supply but I also didn't notice anything with periods either (but I only had 3 in between). In fact it almost feels like my supply has increased because I'm semi-engorged sometimes and my son is nursing more often than he was several months ago. Of course I'm also off for the summer so we're together more and that makes a difference too I'm sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"