Stay at Home Moms

S/O Gym childcare

I used to take DS when he was an infant until he was just under 2 (as he got older he started to hate it and I'd get called down after 10 min. b/c of him crying). 

I joined again with the intention of just going with DS (2 1/2) and leaving the baby with DH.  I'm doing this for two reasons:

1. There isn't a separate space for infants  2. The hours are limited and infants need reservations, so it might conflict with her naps. 

I never thought twice about messing with DS's naps and bringing him to the gym instead, but then again he never really napped (30 min. was a good nap, but usually only 20 min.).  Since I had such a horrible napper the first time, I really want to make naps more of a priority since it was torture to not get any breaks during the day.  Go figure DS started napping once he turned 2! 

Anyways, if you go to the gym with your infant, when do you go?  Does your gym have a separate infant area?  How far is your gym from your house? 

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O Gym childcare

• Parker couldn't attend any sort of care facility when she was born due to some medical issues so she didn't start at the gym daycare until she was 2.  Rowan was born in October so I never brought her that first winter- germs and all that good stuff...so she started going in the summer- about 9 months old?

They don't have a separate infant room and the gym is about 15 minutes away. 

• The gym I go to is about a 10min car drive from my house and the daycare is one large room. There is no separating infants from older kids but I also don't see a lot of babies there (they have stuff for them though). I don't have an infant anymore but I generally take my 3yr old with me and depending on my trainer's schedule and when I can get in, I'll take both kids or will have to have a babysitter come to the house.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagechicsub:

Anyways, if you go to the gym with your infant, when do you go?  Does your gym have a separate infant area?  How far is your gym from your house? 

We go 3 to 5 days a week and are typically home in time for lunch(noon) & naps.  DS#2 is a toddler now, but I started with this gym when he was 8 weeks old and haven't changed our routine since.  Our club has a separate infant room(in addition to two other rooms separated by age).  It is a 15 minute drive from my house.  DS#2 would/will sometimes nod off on the way home but kept/keeps it together long enough to eat lunch once we get home before he's ready to nap.  I think if you need to change your little ones routine to get your "me" time in, do it knowing that, while it might be rough at first, it will be worth it once he's used to it. 

Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you go to the gym with your infant, when do you go? 

I usually go in the afternoon (4ish) Which ends up being just after DD's nap time, a fresh diaper, a snack and BF.  She does okay most of the time.

Does your gym have a separate infant area? 

Nope, the gym daycare is just one room, but the staff so far has done a great job keeping the big kids occupied and not running over the little ones.  Also, I haven't seen any true choking hazard size bits around. 

How far is your gym from your house? 

It's about 5 minutes - and bonus, our gym is right next door to the grocery store so I can pick up any last minute or fresh/sale items for dinner.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I work in the gym daycare :-) 

We have a separate area for infants, although it is in the same room as the others.  It is gated off with those indoor baby fence-like things.  

My biggest pet peeve lately is people bringing their kids in tired.  I have one stay at home daddy who brings his 9 month old girl and he thinks she is going to fall asleep in her carseat.  I don't think he realizes that while she is an infant, at some point they stop that - there is way too much light, too many noises, ect and they just will not fall asleep like they did when they were 2 or 3 months old. 

Then I had a mom who flat-out said her daughter naps at 11 each day.  The next week she started bringing her daughter at 11 and her normally fine little girl all of a sudden starts screaming bloody murder.  Hmm, I wonder why?  She's tired!  And the mom actually said to me, "I have no idea why she is acting this way!" Lies.  All lies.  LOL.  

Sorry this turned into a vent post!!

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Anyways, if you go to the gym with your infant, when do you go? Typically in the morning before DD's nap, but with morning swim lessons we go in the afternoon right before dinner now. 

Does your gym have a separate infant area?  Yes, but DD hates being in the baby area so she spends a lot of her time in the bigger kid section as long as there is not a lot of horse playing going on.   

How far is your gym from your house? About 10 miles

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD has been going to gym daycare since she was 6 months old.  My gym daycare is one large room the size of a raquetball court, and there's climbing structures, various sports, tons of toys.  There is a seperate area for babies and little toddlers, but I don't go when it's really crowded, usually the girls that work there are holding the babies, they love babies!

My gym is a 10 minute drive from my house.  I like to go in the morning around 10am, cause then I can drop DD off, workout for an hour, pick her up at 11:15, drive home, make lunch, sit down and eat, and then it's naptime and I can take a shower and wash and blowdry my hair, and do my makeup while she's sleeping.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My gym also needs reservations at least an hour ahead. I call them when DS shows me that he's sleepy. His first morning nap is 30 minutes and the gym is just 5 minutes away so it works well for us since I'm never quite sure when he'll be taking his naps.

It's one room separated by baby gates.

• I think our babies are around the same age?... Anyway, I bring my little guy three days a week - once at the 10:30 session and twice at the 8:45 session.  He doesn't nap consistently, anyway, and lately he's just been awake and playing the whole time.

Our gym is about a 5 min drive or 20 min walk from home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageThe_Jen626:

My DD has been going to gym daycare since she was 6 months old.  My gym daycare is one large room the size of a raquetball court, and there's climbing structures, various sports, tons of toys.  There is a seperate area for babies and little toddlers, but I don't go when it's really crowded, usually the girls that work there are holding the babies, they love babies!

Pretty much this. Ours doesnt take babies until 6 months, but I didnt take DD until she was close to 1 because it was hard to work with the schedule...we'd have to race their after her morning nap to get in and done by 12 when they close. They are then open 5-9 which didnt work well with the family schedule...

DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • My gym has a large room with a gated off section for babies.  I hardly ever see it being used.  Every once in a while there will be a baby in the infant swing or being rocked.  If they have a lot of young toddlers they will put them in there.  Usually they just hold the little ones and walk around with them.  I didn't start going until DD was closer to 1.  She was crawling, but not walking.  I can probably count on my hands the number of times she was actually in the infant/toddler area.  There usually aren't a lot of young babies and I usually go when it is not as crowded.  As far as naps, I worked it around her naps. 

When I started going, her naps were predictable and I was able to schedule my gym time as part of our daily routine.  I have tweaked it as her nap time has changed.  I waited until flu season was over and her naps were more predictable.

DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"