September 2011 Moms
Options

Attn: Crochet and knitting mama's

I've seen so many of you crocheting or knitting these adorable sweaters and hats for your babies. My c & k skills are super limited. Do any of you have recommendations of how I can at least attempt to make baby items that aren't too difficult to follow? Thanks a bunch!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Attn: Crochet and knitting mama's

• Options
    Start with youtube tutorials and get yourself a pattern book:)  I bought a little pattern book, has 6 patterns in it, from Michaels for $3.99, and each time the stitch switched, I looked up new youtube tutorials for it.  I hope that helps!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Knifty Knitters are nice too. I cannot knit very well, but I do great with them. I'm a crocheter.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I knit a lot, but I still don't consider myself very proficient, so I have set the rule for myself that with each project, I will learn one new stitch or technique. That way, I don't get lost and hopeless with some fancy pattern. One book that has helped me tremendously is Debbie Bliss' Simply Baby. It's kind of pricey, but if you can find it at your library, give it a shot!
  • Options
    I can't knit I self taught myself to crochet with youtube tutorials and the women here turned me on ravelry.com which has tons of free patterns. I looked up simple/easy baby hat and watched a few youtube tutorials on making hats and the book I picked up had a list of acronyms and showed how to do the stitches..took me a lot if tries and unravling ill admit to make one little hat but I did it! Good luck to you and its more intimidating than it seems!
  • Options
    elyndselynds member
    I have made a lot of things for baby, but one of my favorite pattern books is "Welcoming Home Baby" by Tricia Drake.  It's all projects knit in bukly/superbulky yarn, so they are quick and easy.  I seriously made a whole baby blanket in 3 days.  If you're looking for a bit more of a challenge, "60 Quick Baby Knits" is also a great book with a large variety - it's all knit in Cascade 220 (a worsted weight), so they go pretty fast, but nothing like the bulky ones :)
  • Options
    I agree with pp who said to check out You Tube and also the Debbie Bliss book. I have also found https://www.knittinghelp.com/ to be really helpful.

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET
    2 chemical pregnancies*missed m/c @8w 9/09*missed (twin) m/c @8w 5/10
    Laparoscopic myomectomy 8/10

Chromosomal translocation of #2 now requires ICSI and PGD

IVF #4= success!!! G-man born 8/18/11

IVF #5 2/2013 = N born 10/10/13 at 35w3d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageelynds:
    I have made a lot of things for baby, but one of my favorite pattern books is "Welcoming Home Baby" by Tricia Drake.  It's all projects knit in bukly/superbulky yarn, so they are quick and easy.  I seriously made a whole baby blanket in 3 days.  If you're looking for a bit more of a challenge, "60 Quick Baby Knits" is also a great book with a large variety - it's all knit in Cascade 220 (a worsted weight), so they go pretty fast, but nothing like the bulky ones :)

Totally side tracking.  Found that book at B and N and love it.  I already have a million knitting books so I just can't validate buying it.  So many cute things in it though. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I find a lot of knitting patterns for free online. I find a lot through this website, which links you to free patterns on other websites:

https://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby.php

Many baby items are in garter stitch (all knit stitches, no purling), so they're really easy. Garter stitch gives it a cute texture. I've made two cardigans that were completely in garter stitch, and both were straightforward. (sorry for the links-- the add picture thing isn't working): 

https://i53.tinypic.com/166itd3.jpg

https://i51.tinypic.com/1o2c9j.jpg

If there's ever a feature you don't know how to do, just google it and there will be straightforward instructions online.  

For hats, I usually just make up my own patterns. It's really not hard. If you google infant hat size, you can find out the circumference you should aim for, and then do a gauge and figure out how many stitches to cast on, and just eyeball ti from there. I'll usually include some ribbing so it's stretchy.  

I'm trying to teach myself crochet right now, and I'm not sure that I'm getting it. Please recommend if you have any good sources!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"