Upstate NY Babies

NBR: Edamame

So, after posting that list of "super foods" last week, I've been trying to incorporate more of them into my diet. I had never tried Edamame, so I bought a bag of frozen shelled ones at Wegmans. I just tried them w/ my lunch, and I'm not a big fan. I cooked them (steamed) for as long as it said on the package, and they are hard and pasty/dry. I was thinking they'd be good w/ some soy sauce, but I'm out... so I just put a bit of sriracha on them. I just can't get passed the texture.

Does anyone have good recipe, or suggestion on how to serve them? I'm thinking I might just add them into other things, like stir-fry. 

On the plus side, Evan loved them! He really likes beans in general.

Re: NBR: Edamame

• Just checking...but you deshelled them,right? I love them and eat them chilled on salads. And of course...when I'm out for sushi.
  • Oh and they shouldn't be hard...maybe try cooking them longer?
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought the ones that were already deshelled.

So, when you eat them cold do you steam them first, then chill them?

• I buy fresh (refrigerated) ones at BJs, in the shell.  I like eating them out of the shells.  They should be pretty salty too!

I think a lot of the frozen ones get dry or freezer burnt.. try fresh, even try at the farmer's market.  I can picture the frozen ones ending up like lima beans :P

My kids love em too!

• imageArcticFox:

I buy fresh (refrigerated) ones at BJs, in the shell.  I like eating them out of the shells.  They should be pretty salty too!

I think a lot of the frozen ones get dry or freezer burnt.. try fresh, even try at the farmer's market.  I can picture the frozen ones ending up like lima beans :P

My kids love em too!

hmmm... I'll have to look for the fresh ones. I wonder if Wegmans sells them? And, yes, I totally got a lima bean vibe from them!

• I buy the frozen ones from Wegmans, but not the deshelled ones.  I boil them up according to the package and then sprinkle with sea salt and pop them out into my mouth...like how you would have them served as an appetizer at a sushi place.  I have only bought the deshelled ones when adding to a recipe that calls for them (I have one recipe from Runner's World that you add edamame to a pasta dish and it is very tasty).  
  • They have them at some salad bars too (the Wegmans on *** road has an awesome salad bar) and Ruby Tuesdays too :) That's where I first tried them and they are much better there than when you buy them frozen. But I have bought them in the shells and then steam them with a little salt - and then shuck them and rinse in cold water..and store them in the fridge that way. I have never bought them fresh - I looked for them at Wegmans once (fresh) and didn't see anything and haven't looked since.
  • imageTelyco:
    They have them at some salad bars too (the Wegmans on *** road has an awesome salad bar) and Ruby Tuesdays too :) That's where I first tried them and they are much better there than when you buy them frozen. But I have bought them in the shells and then steam them with a little salt - and then shuck them and rinse in cold water..and store them in the fridge that way. I have never bought them fresh - I looked for them at Wegmans once (fresh) and didn't see anything and haven't looked since.

well, I'll at least buy the frozen ones in the shells next time. Maybe cooking them out of the shell is drying them out too much. I'll ask at Wegmans... they are really good about ordering things if people request them.

• They have them in the natural freezer section (where the tofu burgers are) at the Amherst St Wegmans....well, last I checked anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"