Maryland Babies

naming DS #2 is way harder than naming DS #1

With DS #1, I pretty much just blurted out his name, paired it with my DH's middle name, and we were like, "ah yes.....that is good." And it stuck.

This time I did the same thing....blurted out a first name that I really liked, and we both liked it. DH wants to give him his first name as a middle name. And I'm like "uh, ok, so both kids get named after you and none get a nod toward my side of the family? No." I want to give him a middle name of Benjamin after my great grandfather. Now we are just butting heads about it. this is so annoying :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: naming DS #2 is way harder than naming DS #1

• I'm sorry you guys are having a tough time coming to a decision.  Is the disagreement because you both dug in your heels and want to "win" or do you really prefer Benjamin?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • So baby #2's potential first name, isn't a family name and neither is S?  Then I would say it's fair that you get some of your family representation in there.  J is named after DH's grandfather and his 2 middle names are my dad's name and my mom's maiden name.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Right, neither kids first name is a family name, they just happen to be boys names we like. FTR I am really picky about boys names! I swear there are only a handful I really like and a few of those are already claimed by other friends/family members.

so Sean's middle name came from DH, I think it is only fair this child gets a middle name that is a nod from my side of the family.

And Weezie, it sounds awful but I really don't like DH's first name all that much (lucky for me DH goes by his middle name). I really really have always loved Benjamin and I just keep hoping DH will come around.

The only other male names I could give as a tribute to my family are like : Francis, Harold, Walter, Abram. No thanks.

• I totally understand...  Maybe you could play the "no JRs" card rathe than the its my turn card??? 

DH and I have a rule that we won't name any son after DH.  My whole life I had to ask anyone that called if they wanted "Big J" or "Little J."  This became increasingly difficult (and more than a little annoying) when Little J got taller than Big J. 

You could always do what I did and wait until your are in labor to decide...  My DH would have let me name LO anything, well except Moxie Crimefighter.  LOL.

• imagemrs. remy:

so Sean's middle name came from DH, I think it is only fair this child gets a middle name that is a nod from my side of the family.

I think that's absolutely fair and is actually what we're planning for #2, whether LO is a boy or a girl.  DS's first name is a family name that goes back multiple generations on FIL's side (although there are none w/in the last few generations so he's the only one w/that name currently in the family), and his middle name is DH's middle name/FIL's first name.

B/c of that, if #2 is a boy, his first name will be from MIL's side and his middle name will be my grandfather's first name; if it's a girl, her first name will be from my mom's side and her middle name will be a name unrelated to either side, but one that has meaning for us.  That way, we figure we're giving equal share to both families.

(And I feel you on the boy name issues - we had BIG problems coming up w/another boy's name after using the only boy name we loved/could agree on for DS... what is it about boy names, anyway?!)

• yeah, that's a good point! I am just trying to not be combative about it because that will make him stubborn and just want to veto it even more.

and OMG I am an idiot....can't spell or form words properly today (just read my post title)

• I agree with you.  Ava's middle name is DH's grandmother's name and this one's middle name is both of my grandmothers and my mom's (they all have the name name). 

My son was named after the egg baby I had in high school  Embarrassed . He's like mom, I was seriously named after an egg?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageidonthavethis:

My son was named after the egg baby I had in high school  Embarrassed . He's like mom, I was seriously named after an egg?

LOL!! Omg I am dying over this, I can just picture a teenager saying that.

• We had such a difficult time naming Claire.  We were team green, so we had to come up with boy and girl names.  I was pretty sold on my boy name, and while Claire was a name I've loved forever, I wanted to make sure I didn't miss another girl name, if that makes sense. Middle names are a whole other story.  Good luck!
    Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • ras26ras26 member
    Good luck!  I don't have any great suggestions.  I do like Benjamin though, and we were going to use that as a first name until it turned out baby is a girl.  I suggested only a handful of girl first names, I know DH doesn't like at least 2 of them, and we're kind of stalled there.  I can't even get him to really discuss it!  Maybe he's still in denial about the whole "it's a girl" thing.  :-)
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
  • Tell your DH that if it's his name as the middle name, then its your maiden name as his last name!  If he wants his last name, then you get the middle name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejnealet:
    Tell your DH that if it's his name as the middle name, then its your maiden name as his last name!  If he wants his last name, then you get the middle name.

Oh... that is awesome. 

• your DH and his Dad already get their family w/ the last name.  Mom has priority for the first name!

I totally made sure I got "my" names in on DD - so if DH has a different opinion w/ hypothetical #2, I won't really care.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We still have no name for this little girl and I am t minus 7 weeks but I think it will be sooner .. naming a girl is so much  harder than a boy right now .So ladies here are some ideas and let me know what ya think

Sophia , Samantha ,   Abigail ,  Ashley , Hannah , Quinn, Emma , Jennifer

I am sooo lost and sooo hormonal ! Oy

• imageStef611:

We still have no name for this little girl and I am t minus 7 weeks but I think it will be sooner .. naming a girl is so much  harder than a boy right now .So ladies here are some ideas and let me know what ya think

I LOOOOVE Abigail!!!

Hannah I really like

Sophia and Emma - I don't love

The others are good, but don't sing to me!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageKathrynMD:
    imageStef611:

We still have no name for this little girl and I am t minus 7 weeks but I think it will be sooner .. naming a girl is so much  harder than a boy right now .So ladies here are some ideas and let me know what ya think

I LOOOOVE Abigail!!!

Hannah I really like

Sophia and Emma - I don't love

The others are good, but don't sing to me!

I love love love Quinn!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStef611:

I love Samantha and Abigail, but I am biased because I have two very cool nieces with those names!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"