Multiples

Weaning help

I am down to two pump sessions, one in the morning and one at night.  I get about 10 - 12 oz each session.  I am unsure what to do next, do I go to just one session and then stop altogether?  Or do I just stop and see?  If I go to one and then stop, how long should I wait inbetween?  TIA
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Weaning help

• I'm weaning right now too. I cut out the morning session last weekend and plan to keep the before bed nursing for another two weeks or so. I think my supply is diminishing on it's own now because it seems like the girls aren't getting as much as before. 

You can drop one session at a time for a gradual wean, or stop both if you're just ready to be done.  I haven't been uncomfortable weaning this way, so far. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With my DS#1 I went from pumping 8 to 6 to 4 to 2 and then 1 x/day with 3-4 days inbetween each change (I never was able to BF so I EP'd for 6+ mos and when I decided I was done, I was DONE!). When I got down to the 2 and 1x/day pumping, I would shorten the pumping times (i.e. from 15 to 5 min) to relieve some pressure, but to send the message to my body that I didn't need more milk.  Then when I got down 1 x/day I would use some hand massage to relieve some of the pressure when needed, and just stopped pumping all together, eventually my body got the point.

I think it was ~2 1/2 weeks between the 2 x/day to completely stopping pumping time and I never had any problems with clogged ducts, etc...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi, 

I just started weaning my last two feeds yesterday  (I was breastfeeding am/pm only, no pumping needed, no engorgement).  Wow, 10-12 oz!  .  If you wait to pump like an hour later than you usually do,  do you feel engorged?  If you do feel engorged, I would gradually reduce the amount that you pump off so pump only 8 or 9 ounces and every 3 days decrease this amount.  Do this for both pumping sessions.  You may be more comfortable with the gradual decrease.  I was expecting engorgement because I abruptly stopped nursing, but it's been two days and I've had no pain/engorgement.  

Good luck.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"