Attachment Parenting

NAPR: I'm seriously going to hurt the kid! (not my kid)

OK, so we live in Mr. Rogers neighborhood.  Seriously, it doesn't get much better.  We hang out with all our neighbors, everyone is nice, yadda, yadda, yadda.

2 of our neighbors have sons who recently turned 16 and bought very very loud trucks.  As if that isn't bad enough, ALL their friends have loud trucks.  Both these houses are next to mine, so ALL day (and some nights) all I hear is VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM!  There is one kid (blue truck) that finds it necessary to rev his truck 500 times in front of my house several times a day (he's one of the friends).  These kids are GREAT kids.  They go to church, make good grades, don't drink, don't smoke, they cut our grass... seriously they are great kids....BUT.... if the kid in the stupid blue truck wakes Coop up one more time, I'm marching out my front door with Coop and he can find a way to put the kid back to sleep! 

I hate to say anything because I realize one day, some new mom is going to march out side and yell at Coop for his loud truck, loud music, or what not.  However, I really really really can't take it.  I've asked my DH several times to please say something to either the kid, the friend, or the parents, but he's a wuss.  I'm scared if I say something that it will come off snobby or just like neurotic new mom. 

We have enough sleep problems without kid in the stupid blue truck!

Thanks for reading!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NAPR: I'm seriously going to hurt the kid! (not my kid)

• Don't say anything.  Your kid will be 16 once too
    Visit The Nest!
  • imagelaurenpaula:
    Don't say anything.  Your kid will be 16 once too

I know, but he wakes Coop up atleast 3 times a week.  It's not like it is an occasional thing.  I even bought a sound machine for Coop's room to help drown out the noise with no luck. 

Not to mention I WAS that 16 year old.  I had a huge speaker box in my car...hahahahaha...makes me laugh now (the poor parents in my neighborhood)Embarrassed

• Loading the player...
  • It's all of the above.  Sometimes they come home from school and play their music loud while they all wash their trucks (can you imagine my poor neighbors water bill).  All the trucks are naturally loud.  The kid in the blue truck feels the need to annouce himself when he gets close, so he revs and revs and revs.  Either the kid doesn't know how to shift gears or he is being a teen age boy show off.  Other neighbors take care of the loud music...it's the repeated rev up that wakes up Coop (and only from the blue truck)
  • Does coop have a regular nap schedule? if you are on good terms with the blue truck kid I would takeHim aside one day and just say something like "I know It sounds silly but couldYou try not to Rev your truck during x hours? For some reason that particular noise wakes coop up from his nap and then he is monster child for the rest of the day" you could even add in a comment about how it won't make sense to him until he is a parent. I am sure he is clueless about how the noise could be affecting others.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• You say they are good kids. So go talk to blue truck kid. Be nice. Ask him not to rev his truck because it wakes the baby. He's just not thinking about how it effects others. Be the neurotic new mom, he's 16, he thinks all grown ups are neurotic.
    - Jena
  • Maybe you need to find a sound machine that plays the reving noise..  :)  JK.  I'm sorry, that sucks that he keeps getting woken up.  If it is during the day I probably wouldn't say anything, but I might just make a friendly comment to the boys if they do it at night about how loud it is when they rev their engines.  Or maybe someone else will say something.  :)
    imageimage
  • Honestly I don't think you have any right to ask people to be quiet outside unless it's really late at night.  The world doesn't revolve around you & your kid.

I'm not trying to be snarky - there are people who live near me with really loud motorcycles that I wish would be quieter, but I know I wouldn't give it a second thought if I didn't have a kid. 

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• imageDreamsicle23:

Honestly I don't think you have any right to ask people to be quiet outside unless it's really late at night.  The world doesn't revolve around you & your kid.

I'm not trying to be snarky - there are people who live near me with really loud motorcycles that I wish would be quieter, but I know I wouldn't give it a second thought if I didn't have a kid. 

Good point...and I didn't take it to be snarky. I think i'll just continue to bite my tongue and complain on the bump.  hopefully someone else will say something or an oppurtunity will arise that we can casually say something.  ughhh, i just so know that coop is going to be this kid one day ... hopefully he will be a good kid like are too,

thanks for all the ideas ladies. 

• Well, if it helps we live four houses away from a fire station and a couple of blocks from two hospitals. Sirens have woken up Zoe more than I can count. It sucks and I wish sirens would be quieter... That said, I would probably go with Fred on the PA front and go ask if you could help him improve his gear shifting technique :-)
    Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • I love this thread because last week DH told me how he felt like he should apologize to our neighbor for all the noise he made as a teenager with his dirtbikes and cars. We bought his parents house and it's been the same 6 neighbors for 20+ years. When DH was 17/18, one of the neighbors had a baby that DH used to wake up all the time. Now that he has a baby, he totally gets it. (I told him he should because she'd get a kick out of it.)

OP, I would just ask him not to rev the truck when he's there. Tell him, you understand that the truck is loud and that's fine, but the constant revving keeps waking the baby. If he is a good kid, he'll have no problem waiting until he's somewhere else to rev.

• There's no harm in just asking him to keep it down a little bit. He doesn't HAVE to listen to you, and you can't MAKE him stop, but he might be perfectly willing to accommodate you and just didn't realize it was a problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I forgot to look at your ticker to see how old your LO is, but it's possible your LO will grow used to the noise and start sleeping though it. DD has developed an astonishing ability to sleep through car alarms, fire engines, drunk kids making a racket on our corner, etc. The funny thing is that she's so used to ambient noise now that when we visit my ILs in the boonies, she has a hard time sleeping with dead silence all around!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"