February 2011 Moms
Options

Stressed about upcoming MRI

DD has an MRI scheduled for next week.  I'm starting to really stress out.  Just found out that I can't BF for 4 hours prior to the procedure (because of anesthesia)  She's going to be a wreck by the time we get there.  I don't think I can handle this.  I have so much respect for parents of infants with serious medical issues.  My heart is breaking imagining her hungry & me not feeding her.

Has anyone else gone through anesthesia with the LO yet?  How did you handle the rules regarding nursing (or formula)?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stressed about upcoming MRI

• Options

When DS had his x-ray I couldn't feed him so he was fussing and screaming by the time they got us back there. I made sure to bring his pacifier to give him something to atleast suck on and I acted like a crazy lady in the waiting room bouncing him around and running here and there getting his attention looking at certain things.

I have not gone through anesthesia with DS though. Sorry you have to go through that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My toddler has had several MRIs, but he was 22 months for the first so I'm not much help. 4 hours without eating isn't too bad. Just try to keep her distracted if she gets hungry. If the appt is first thing in the morning I'd wake her before the 4 hour mark to eat, regardless of what time it is. Good luck! DS1's first MRI was not as scary as I thought it would be, everything went smoothly and he was back to his normal self by the time we got home.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, and I'd re-post this on the special needs board if you want to find moms with experience with anesthesia in infants. I mostly just lurk over there, but the ladies are very nice, there are no flames for asking about medical procedures.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh wow! My LO would loose her mind too. Good luck, and good idea to the poster about checking the special needs board.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, when DS was 5 weeks old he had sugery for his clubfoot. I could not give him any milk after midnight and only clear liquids until 2. After that nothing until he was out of recovery. We got there before 6am and the took him back after 7. For some reason he slept the entire time except when he had to stick him. I was in a constant prayer for him to stay calm. I was worried too but it all worked out. He had never been that long without eating but for some reason he was that day. The hospital took him back first since he was so young. After the procedure he was really groggy the rest of the day. We had a two hour drive home and he slept the whole way and then some. He really didnt care about eating either. I kept giving him clear liquids until I knew he had kept that down. The next day he was fine.
    My Blog PM me to read my blog BFP 12/22/09 natural m/c 2/20/10 12 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and they consider BM a clear liquid or at least the Children's Hospital we use did. Since he was on formula I got some Pedalite the clear kind to give him.
    My Blog PM me to read my blog BFP 12/22/09 natural m/c 2/20/10 12 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"