Attachment Parenting

only nap for 1 sleep cycle?

I am pretty sure my LO is waking from naps after 1 sleep cycle and then isn't able to go back to sleep.  Until recently, we held him for most of his naps and we were able to get him right back to sleep.  He would sleep 2+ hours this way.  We have been trying to put him down for naps and it isn't going well.  I nurse and rock him to sleep then put him in his bed.  He always wakes up between 30 mins-1 hour.  I try to go in and rub his belly/face, shush him back to sleep.  It usually does not work and he just gets mad until i pick him up.  I was so frustrated to day i tried to give him a chance to calm himself down (cry for 1 minute then i went in to soothe without picking him up).  I did this several times over 15 minutes unsuccessfully. 

I feel terrible!  He is so tired and i don't know what else to do to help him.  Wearing him doesn't help.  He won't sleep in the sling.  Will this fix itself over time or should i try something else?

FYI: he is also still waking 3-6 times a night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: only nap for 1 sleep cycle?

• My kid was the SAME way at that age. I also tried to let him calm himself and fuss/cry for a minute or two and it didn't work at all. So I abandoned any sleep training and eventually he was able to get himself over the hump and stay asleep or put himself back to sleep after that first cycle. I think that happened around 5.5 months? Basically, I just waited it out. Which sucked. LOL.

I hope someone has a better suggestion! 

DSC_0330editedimage
    The two men in my life. Oh, and I have a husband too...
  • rmm17rmm17 member
    Thank you!  I just need some hope that he isn't going to be like this forever!
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter was the same way [and sometimes still does that] until about 8 months. She's 8.5 months now and the first day she stayed up for 4 hours, she took a 2 hour nap. If you can keep him awake like 30 minutes longer than he usually stays up, he might sleep longer and feel more rested.

Other than that, I would just carry/ hold him as much as possible when he naps so that he can sleep more.

My daughter will sleep when wrapped but I don't know if you're willing to try a wrap. Having him chest to chest and upright while wrapped tightly might help.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the hurdle is getting him to fall asleep on his own initially - without rocking or nursing.  Whether or not you want to fight this battle, and how, is totally up to you.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• My daughter was doing the exact same thing at the age!  It was so frustrating!  I read The No Cry Sleep Solution and she said to do whatever you do to get the kid to sleep when they wake up.  So when you Lo wakes up rock him back to sleep.  I did this with my LO and usually she would fall back asleep.  She usually would not sleep for long though after rerocking her.  After several weeks of this, she is no longer waking up after one sleep cycle. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"