Pregnant after 35
Options

Finding a Pediatrician

The hunt has begun for a pediatrician.  We live in a very, very small town and there is only 1 pediatrician in the town.  I've heard mixed reviews about him.  So, my question is:  In your opinion, is it better to drive 30-45 minutes for a pediatrician that you really, really like or is it more important to have someone that you can get to within 5 minutes?

I'm leaning toward the drive, but there may be things that I'm not thinking about that would make it better to have someone close by.

TIA!

Re: Finding a Pediatrician

• Options

You should go to who you feel more comfortable with. I live in a small town and my OBGYN is 40 min away and my Endocrinologist is 45 min away. Our Pediatrician will be 35 min away.

We have 2 hospitals that are 20 min away but am making the 45 min drive to deliver at another hospital since the one has mixed reviews.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    if the choice is drive vs. trust I would choose drive every single time.  (but take that with a grain of salt - I drive over an hour each way to work and my hospital is 30 minutes from home OR work - everything is a drive for me, we don't do ANYTHING in the town we actually live in)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm kind of in the same situation.. our pedi for Bernadette is a half hour away.. parking stinks and there are STAIRS up and down for well/sick.. which are really hard with an infant carseat.. don't know how I'm going to do it with a toddler and infant.  There are plenty of pediatricians who are closer to where we live now,  have easy parking, one floor, etc... but I really, really, really like her dr. (the one I schedule all the well visits with).. actually ALL the 6 drs in the practice are great.  My hubby thinks I should find one closer (have the name of another group, been meaning to call).. but I feel like a traitor... So.. if the pedi is BETTER and is far away.. I'd say go with them, rather than someone who has mixed reviews. 

I also like the nurses... they all love Bernadette.. just too hard to switch.. sounds crazy, I know. But.. I'll continue driving a half hour to go there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd do the drive.  Is there heavy traffic at certain times that might make it longer?  Is there an emergency room or urgent care closer?  I figure if you've got an ER for big and scary things, the half-hour drive for milder stuff isn't so bad.
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Hmm terrible doctor or great one with a drive? I'll take the drive. Remember this is your child's health here. Find one you like and your child will like him/her too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options
    Gosh a tough choice, under certain circumstances. I agree with board posts of the drive. BUT...if you need a doc same day/quickly, keep in mind the drive time. Does the ped. you like ever work at more local clinics (like rotations)? And honestly, there have only been a few times in my daughters' lives that I've needed a ped. within the hour(s). But really....30 minutes isn't too far to go (unless you have a screaming baby with and earache)! In which case...turn up the music! Good luck to you!
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options

Is there a local clinic or hospital you can get to quickly in case of an urgent need?

I think it's best to go wtih someone you like and trust with your child's care but when you're child is sick sometimes, you need a close option.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"