Pregnant after a Loss

How long to conceive after ectopic?

At the end of February, I had an ectopic pregnancy that led to the removal of my left tube.  My husband and I would like to try for our third and I am concerned whether it will happen again for us or not.  We are very lucky and have two beautiful little girls that were conceived easily, so this is a new thing for us.  We would ideally like to conceive in the fall but have stopped trying to avoid this month and are just going to let nature take its course.  From what I have read, it usually takes longer to conceive after an ectopic because you ovulate every other month from the side with the remaining tube.  Does anyone have an experience with this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: How long to conceive after ectopic?

• I had an ectopic that resulted in the loss of a tube in April of 2010. Since then I had a m/c July of 2010 (conceived in June), another loss December of 2010 (conceived in October), and am now pregnant with a baby that was conceived in April. Each time I conceived it was on the every other month schedule. It didn't take me long after my ectopic to get pregnant so it can happen right away. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tdmd09tdmd09 member
    imageCatO:

At the end of February, I had an ectopic pregnancy that led to the removal of my left tube.  My husband and I would like to try for our third and I am concerned whether it will happen again for us or not.  We are very lucky and have two beautiful little girls that were conceived easily, so this is a new thing for us.  We would ideally like to conceive in the fall but have stopped trying to avoid this month and are just going to let nature take its course.  From what I have read, it usually takes longer to conceive after an ectopic because you ovulate every other month from the side with the remaining tube.  Does anyone have an experience with this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

I don't have any personal experience but a good friend of mine had a ruptured ectopic in January. She told me our OB (we go to the same one) told her he once had a patient who had lost her right tube and left ovary and still managed to have a successful pregnancy post-ectopic, because the ovary and tube aren't connected, they just sit near each other. So it's actually possible if you ovulate from either ovary the egg could theoretically reach your remaining tube. You also don't necessarily alternate ovulation from each ovary every month.

Best of luck to you TTC ((hugs)) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Loading the player...
  • CatOCatO member
    Thank you girls for the responses!  It's been a tough this past few months, but I am glad to hear that there are success stories out there!  Best of luck to you too! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am so sorry for your loss.

I had an ectopic wit the loss of my right tube. It took us 5 cycles to concieve this one that I'm pregnant with now. My doctor said that your other tube can grow to "catch" the other egg from the side without the tube. I'm not sure how "scientific" that information is since she said [verbaitum] " I had had patient's swear that they felt they were ovulating from the side they lost the tube on - and they got pregnant" Now, was she telling me that to help me feel comfortable since I was in a delicate place? Or was this some serious doctor talk? Who knows. Just know that it IS possible. It can take a long time or a short time. It all depends on your body and how healed you are. *hugs* I know this is a stressful time and a trying time for your emotions. PLease know that you CAN get pregnant again. It will happen. *hugs*

• I am so sorry for your loss.

I had an ectopic wit the loss of my right tube. It took us 5 cycles to concieve this one that I'm pregnant with now. My doctor said that your other tube can grow to "catch" the other egg from the side without the tube. I'm not sure how "scientific" that information is since she said [verbaitum] " I had had patient's swear that they felt they were ovulating from the side they lost the tube on - and they got pregnant" Now, was she telling me that to help me feel comfortable since I was in a delicate place? Or was this some serious doctor talk? Who knows. Just know that it IS possible. It can take a long time or a short time. It all depends on your body and how healed you are. *hugs* I know this is a stressful time and a trying time for your emotions. PLease know that you CAN get pregnant again. It will happen. *hugs*

• KMLPKMLP member
    It took me 10 months after my ectopic.  My other pregnancies were conceived in 1-2 cycles.  GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Two angel babies 11/09 and 4/10
  • My situation is a little different, but I wanted to post my support and good wishes.

My tube was not removed after my ectopic, but there is little to no functionality remaining in my left. My doctor told us to wait 3 full cycles before TTC again, which we did, and conceived that first weekend. Good luck!

image Photobucket
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #1 1/20/2011 - ectopic: D&C and methotrexate at 6 wks
    BFP #2 4/23/2011 - EDD 1/7/2012
  • I don't have any experience myself, but my MIL had an ectopic and lost her tube.  She went on to have two healthy children (DH and SIL) without a problem.  GL to you!
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • I had an etopic in 08, but i didnt lose my tube. I was told to wait 6 months to TTC, but it ended up taking about a year and a half due to me not ovulating on my own and needing clomid to help things along. But me not ovulating didnt have anything to do with the EP.

Best of luck to you! I hope you join us soon. ((hugs))

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • ((HUGS)) SO sorry for your loss. Sorry for the late response. I had an ectopic in October & lost my right tube. I actually had no real cycle until January and concieved then. It actually took me longer (11 cycles) to concieve the ectopic than this pregnancy. It's really the luck of the draw. If you do O on the wrong side my dr said that you have a 10-15 percent chance of the other tube picking it up. If you O on the remaining side you have a normal chance of concieving that month. I also used the instead cup for conception this time....so def try it.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"