Pregnant after 35

How did you seek out your OB of choice?

I love my OB, unfortunately, I do not love the hospital he's associated with as they do not allow, under any circumstances, VBAC.  I'm having to hunt, for the first time in my life, down a new OB.  (My current OB was also my GYN prior to any kids, so it was a natural transition.)

Making it especially difficult is our state laws stacked against VBAC.  When I'm calling a new OBs office, VBAC is my first question.  Some have said no, others have said case-by-case consideration depending on old records.  This is my first child in 19 years, so I and the hospital no longer have any records (purged).  So my struggle is all the more frustrating.

I'd like to make this a bit easier on myself by seeking your advice on exactly what you did when seeking out your OB of choice.  I know many rely on word of mouth, but I'm interested if anyone actually did an "interview" type process and if you made appointments with the doctor for this, or simply asked questions of the front desk during an initial phone call.  I'm also interested in what questions you asked, if you'd care to share. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How did you seek out your OB of choice?

• can your current OB help in your search?  I found my OB by talking to my primary care doctor who is very in touch with the medical field.  I would suspect that your OB would know which hospitals allow VBAC and then you can narrow down with OB's deliver at those hospitals?

Good luck!  (are there Birth Centers near you vs. hospitals?  I might start there as they typically have more lenient policies)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I live in the DC metro and I found my OB through reading an article about top local  OBs. We had just moved back to Northern VA after 10 years and I did not have a clue who to use and I didn't have anyone who could make a recommendation. I was lucky because she and her office are wonderful and I completely get why she is considered one of the best.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was on the hunt for a new OB as well. My old one SUCKED during my first pregnancy and eventual miscarriage so after the horrible experience I knew exactly what I was looking for in an office and what questions were most important to me.  I called my primary Dr and got rererrals and also looked on the internet under Dr ratings and read over comments. Also, through one of the local hospitals here they have a Dr driectory service that guides you to Drs per specialty.  I found my current OB through the hospital guide.  When I called I bombarded the receptionist with a million questions, she took her time, was well educated about the office policies and procedures and was everything my old office was not.  I explained my situation and what I had just gone through and she put me at ease and I feel confident in my decision to switch.  I am still under my REs care so I have not seen any of the Drs in the practice yet so the verdict is still out but I am happy I made the change.

Also, if you know anyone who works at the hospital you would like to deliver at they are a wealth of info.  I confirmed my choice with a co-worker of my DH.  2 of the co-workers sisters are L&D nurses in the hospital I will be delivering at and they both spoke highly of all the Drs in the practice I switched to. 

Good Luck!!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • When I moved here, I checked out the hospitals first, then looked for an OB who delivered at that hospital.  I'm happy with my decision.  I have a friend who just recently had a VBAC, that's what she had to do, too... Find a hospital willing to do VBAC first, then she found a VBAC-friendly practice with a midwife/OB mix who used that hospital.  

When I was deciding on which OB, I wanted someone who had a minimal-intervention attitude combined with experience with higher-risk patients.  I found someone who had moved to my small town from Chicago because he wanted to have a longer-term relationship with his patients.  When I talked to him, it was more his general "feel" and personality that sold me than any specific answers. 

You could also try the VBAC board, maybe someone on there lives in your area and has suggestions! 

Good luck! 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageLauraLynneC:

can your current OB help in your search?  I found my OB by talking to my primary care doctor who is very in touch with the medical field.  I would suspect that your OB would know which hospitals allow VBAC and then you can narrow down with OB's deliver at those hospitals?

Good luck!  (are there Birth Centers near you vs. hospitals?  I might start there as they typically have more lenient policies)

My OB didn't know the VBAC status of other hospitals, just 4 OBs in his extended network, only one of which was willing to take a VBAC depending upon paperwork that has been purged from the original hospital.  The hospital that she's aligned with is getting a lot of press on local boards for bait-and-switch type support.  I'm still planning on interviewing her later, however.

Birth Centers are illegal for VBACs in my state.  Crazy.  Homebirth, which is more risky than a birth center, is completely fine.  It's stupid, this system, honestly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"