TTC after 35

Overweight and TTC....nervous.

Hello everyone,

My DH and I were pregnant in 2008 with our first baby.  Unfortunately, the pregnancy was tubal and therefore..no baby.  We were devastated.  We are in the final stages of prepping for IVF.  I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is overweight (and I dont mean just 20lbs overweight) and is nervous and afraid of handling the pregnancy with extra weight.  My OBGYN says that it would be safe and ok if I gained very little weight because I have a "reserve".  I am hoping not to gain too much (besides baby), deliver a healthy baby and be healthy myself.

I just started going to the pool and doing laps.  I'm trying to get there everyday, but alas, only done it once so far.  Anyone else out there feel the same or just want to encourage me and help me along?  Feeling scared...J

Re: Overweight and TTC....nervous.

• Hi there,

I gained about 30 lbs over the past year because I was so depressed from not getting PG. I was also abuot 10lbs over what I like to weigh before that. I finally said enough and started weight watchers 2 weeks ago. DH and I are doing it together, weighing our food etc to make sure our portions are correct. It is really easy to eat too much and even with "healthy" eating, you may be eating more than you should be to lose weight.  I am and have always been a big fan of WW as it teaches you what real portions should be and doesn't cut out a food group. I think exercise is great but you really need to learn portion size because let's face it, not everyone can go to the gym 5 days a week forever.   Has the RE said anything about IVF weight levels ? Mine told me to lose a few pounds bc my BMI was 30.8 (they consider 30 "obese" and a few pounds will bring me under that).  My insurance company's guidelines suggest they won't approve IVF if your BMI is above 40 and require you to lose 5% before they will approve.

I lost 3.8 on WW last week and am expecting another 3-4 lbs at tomorrow's weigh in.  In a perfect world I'd rather lose the weight before getting PG but times running out so I will do the best I can to continue to loss before IVF and should it work, keep eating in my points (even though WW won't let you weigh in while pg).

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Hi.

I have been a professional dieter since 1980. Sometimes I am doing well and sometimes I'm not.

I also had to lose enough weight to be under the appropriate BMI for my RE, which I did, but gained some back...shh....he doesn't know...I was hungry--and stressed out...

I think that with all the stress of IVF--the ups and downs, the emotions, the appts, hormones etc..it is very hard to be healthy all the time. 

I know that I am not in perfect health, but I also know a lot of overweight women who conceive naturally and with help of RE's. 

I think that I am just trying to be healthy, eat nutritious foods and not beat myself up for everything. During this time in my life, I have too many stressful things. If I want something, I have it. I do walk when I can and I usually do a boot camp class three times a week when I am not in the IVF process. That makes me feel so much better too. I love to work out.

I wish you well and hope good things come to you! :) 

• Loading the player...
  • I can relate.  Prior to starting to date DH, I had lost 50-60 lbs.  Since getting married (and starting infertility treatments), I have gained 15 of that back.  I still had a good 30 lbs that I should have lost, and now it is up to 45.  I try to console myself with the thought that at least I lost some of it.  I worry about BP and diabetes, esp. since my dad had issues with both of those.  I keep telling myself I'm doing the best I can right now, I try to work in exercise when I can, and I record what I eat every day to try to keep myself honest.

My work just started a biggest loser contest, but I didn't have the guts to join (fear of failure...).  Maybe we could start a check in on this board to try to encourage each other...???

Me: 41, DH 43 TTC #1 since 8/09 CP 10/09.
    3/11 Clomid-Ovidrel-IUI #1-progesterone= BFN.
    5/11 Femara-Bravelle-Ovidrel-IUI#2-progesterone=BFN.
    6/11 Femara-Ovidrel-IUI#3-progesterone=BFP!
    Beta #1 7/1: 39. Beta #2 7/5: 301 U/S 7/19 - saw HB!!
    EDD 3/12/12
    DD born 3/5/12
    Baby #2 Beta #1 12/16: 439.  Beta #2 12/18: 1240
    EDD 8/22/15

• I am also overweight and TTC. And not just 20 lbs overwieght either. My RE and I discussed it at my first appointment, but since my labs all cam eback normal, he is not concerned. He said it was an issue between me and my primary doctor. His job was to get me pregnant.
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I put on 70 lbs when pregnant with my son and not only did I not lose the weight, I had 2 surgeries afterwards (got injured twice trying to lose the weight- ironic, huh?) and put on even more weight.  Then I wanted to do IVF again.  My RE wasn't happy with my age and my weight but went ahead with it.  I had no weight related complications during the IVF process or the pregnancy part.  I did not get gestational diabetes with either pregnancy.  I ended up with other complications (pre-eclampsia/HELLP) at the end of each of my pregnancies but that could happen to anyone- thin or heavy.

I will say that when I was a "normal" weight, I put on a ton of weight during the pregnancy.  However, when I was heavy during my second pregnancy, my body seemed to not need extra weight and I only put on about 12 pounds through the first 32 weeks (I never got weighed after that b/c of hospital bed rest so I don't know what the final tally was but my dd was born at 36 weeks so it couldn't have been too much more).  I ate the same but just didn't put on weight.  That made my doctor happy- he made the same "reserve" comment to me.

Anyway, as you can see from my siggy, all turned out well and I hope that makes you feel better!  Good luck with your IVF.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I too am overweight and nervous.  I am about 60 pounds overweight and 35 years old.  I quit birth control pills at the end of October of 2010.  I did not have a period for a couple of months and went to see the OBGYN in January.  I was a 28 day clock-work type person pre-pill.  Dr. ran some tests and said I was healthy, even though I was overweight.  Everything looked normal, and he wanted to give my body a chance to do it's own thing.  He said if I didn't have a period after 4 months to come back.  Sure enough, I had a short period in Feb.  29 days between first and second periods. Next cycle was 48 days.  Very frustrating.  A new friend of mine was telling me about her fertility issues and gave me her copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility".  My eyes were opened to the world of charting!  NO ONE ever tells us these things!  She also gave me her Clear Blue Easy fertility monitor since she wouldn't be needing it anymore (they are going to IVF).  I have been using it faithfully.  It gave me two peak fertility days this cycle.  I am now 13dpo and my bbs are sore and I am very exhausted.  No AF yet.  tcoyf.com says I should expect AF on Thursday.  I tested yesterday and today with very faint positive lines (could be evaporation lines???).  In some ways I hope I have more time to get my weight under control.  I just joined a fitness boot camp that starts in a few days.  Diabetes runs in my family, and I've been blessed with low blood pressure (can't get out of my tracks most of the time).  My prayer has been that God knows my concerns and my health better than I do.  If He sees fit to bless me right now, then I know everything will be O.K.  If He decides now is not the right time, then it's for the best, and I might be avoiding something terrible (and be given a chance to get the weight under control).  Either way, God is in control.  Even with that said I am still thinking I am pregnant now, and dying to find out.  If I am, then Diabetes and blood pressure, etc. are still a bit scary, but I will be brave!  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all so much for responding!  I don't feel as "alone" anymore:)

I have gone to WW and since Jan and doing the program on my own loosely, I am down 5 pounds.  I think it's a great idea to check in with one another.  I am so happy to find others in similar situations.  I wish everyone the best and look forward to checking in with you all:)

I had my saline sonogram yesterday. OMG....the pain was so intense, I wonder how I will actually give birth if I'm blessed to become pregnant!  I felt like such a whiner, but that was some severe cramping!!  But all is well, so we can proceed with IVF.  Excited and nervous!

• Congrats on 5 pounds!  This last January I ordered meals from The Biggest Loser Meal Plan from eDiets.  I lost 20 pounds last spring.  Very expensive ($120/week) unless you count that my grocery bill was less, and I didn't eat out as much.  They ship meals once a week in coolers.  I'm a teacher and taking master's degree classes, so it was very convenient.  My DH is wonderful and was able to fend for himself.  I quit the service for the summer since I can cook more at home.  I've gained 10 of it back since school got out :(.   

My faint positives were a definite indication of pregnancy.  But, AF started last Friday, July 1st.  I went to the Dr. after the holiday and he confirmed that I was about 1 or 2 weeks along, but it turned out to be what he called a "chemical pregnancy" that spontaneously aborted.  He put me on Clomid saying my luteal phase was short and I didn't have enough progesterone to support the pregnancy.  Gave us the go-ahead to try again this month.  I took the clomid, but I wasn't able to take it at the same time each day.  I hope it still works.  I was surprised to get a "high" fertility reading on my monitor today.  Boot camp starts bright and early tomorrow morning.  New diet starts tomorrow as well.  Good Luck with IVF!

• Good luck Mtay;)  I'll keep you in my positive thoughts!  I think I've been maintaining my 5 lb loss.  I just started swimming at a fitness center and I really like it.  It doesn't feel like exercise to me, I feel like I'm on vacation!  My goal is to stick to it at least 4 times a week for 45 minutes.  I'm hoping to eventually go at least 5 days a week.  I'd like to be able to do it throughout pregnancy if possible!

I'm starting IVF next month...I was supposed to start Lupron shots this past week but my stupid pharmacy didn't fill it properly and I missed my "window" of opportunity.  So we will try next month.  I'm terrified...

• Good Luck!  My good friend has been TTC for 8 years.  She recently went through IVF and announced this week that she is 12 weeks pregnant!  She went to a doctor in DC who guaranteed he could get her preggo the first try, and he did!  Good Luck! I'll be praying for you G!

~Mary

• We are 7 weeks pregnant!!!  Our first ultrasound is on Wed!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"