2nd Trimester
Options

Anterior placenta & natural birth

The baby has an anterior placenta and I recently read that can increase the likelihood that the baby is posterior, which increases my likelihood of a C-section.  I DO NOT want a C-section.  I've been reading about some techniques like baby spinning, and changing my positioning, etc.  How receptive are OB-GYNs to natural birth practices?  Can I expect my doctor to be open to natural techniques, or should I expect that I will sort of need to drive this situation to avoid being pushed into a C-section?  Should I hire a doula?  I originally didn't want one because I do trust my doctor and I've heard horror stories of doulas getting in the way of the doctor.  My doctor has said she is open to any birth plan in a hospital, but she has voiced some reservations about doulas (basically, that they have gotten in the way while she is trying to make the best decision for the mother).  That being said, she would not refuse to work with a doula.  However, I don't want to go into delivery unprepared.  How much does a doula cost in your area?  Was any of the expense covered by insurance?  Luckily, I have a doctor's appointment this week and my doctor is out of town, so I'm meeting with the midwife.  I'm assuming this will give me the best indication of how flexible I can expect my doctor and her practice to be...

Re: Anterior placenta & natural birth

• Options

When my doctor told me I had an anterior placenta she also immediately said that "that's great, so you'll have a nice easy birth." which is somewhat conflicting with what your post says.  I would say don't let the information overload on the internet get to you and talk directly to your doctor to get the plan.  I'm sure we won't know all the details until we're in the room getting ready for birth, but I'm sure she can give you an idea of what you're up against. 

• Options

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you regarding the doula.  However, I just wanted to say that I had an anterior placenta with my first pregnancy and DD was posterior, or face up.  I ended up with a C-Section.

This is the first time I've heard of there being a link between an anterior placenta and a posterior baby.  I'm going to do a bit more research on that myself now.  Just wanted to say thanks for bringing that topic up!

Good luck to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do not think you need a doula, but I would take some natural birthing classes. I am taking one right now that deals with the Bradley method, and I was told by the instructor we will work on ways to move the baby into the correct psoition. I also have a coach ( my sister, DH has a weak stomach and I'm not sure how attentive he will be lol) she comes to evey class with me, and will be in the delivery room to help. I have learned so much in just one class (it is 12 total) that I didn't know, and am doing exersises every day to help prepare for a natural delivery. I would highly recommend them, if it is offered in your area!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My OB practice isn't concerned at all with my anterior placenta.  Just talk to your doc, see what they have to say and make sure you address all of your concerns.
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• Options
    I did not have an anterior placenta with DD and she was posterior. She turned when she dropped (after 36 hours of labor). I delivered vaginally. We knew she was posterior from an u/s the week before, as well as horrible back labor, and the doctor said that alone was not a reason for c-section. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I have never heard of that correlation before.  Pretty interesting. 

That was exactly the case with my last pregnancy...anterior placenta with a posterior presentation at birth.  She was a large baby (8lb 12oz) and my doctor had no trouble rotating her before it was time to push.  A c-section was never even brought up.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    if you haven't already, i would go chat with the ladies on the Natural Birth board. they have a lot of knowledge about this kind of thing and can definitely help direct you to good resources.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• Options

My doula charges a lot, but she's a certified homebirth midwife, and she only doulas in rare cases: the mom decides for a hospital birth. That being said, she's also a close family friend, and she's going to doula for me without charge.

Normally, a doula charges between $200-300 dollars after they've gotten a couple births under their belts. You can also have someone close to you (husband, mother, sister) be a doula for you, although those are probably the ones that get in the way of the doctor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Don't worry about the placement of the placenta. Some doctors try really hard to help you not to tear by stretching you and spinning the baby, while other don't care. Ask your OB and midwife. That was why I chose my OB. He delivered my last and stretched me and tried spinning my DD. She was face up. BTW it did not work with her. Should have known she would be stubborn. But I did not have to have a c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options
    QmommyQmommy member
    imagekurokai:

Normally, a doula charges between $200-300 dollars after they've gotten a couple births under their belts. 

That's cheap!  They cost $600 or so where I'm from!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think this question entirely depends on how far along you are and considering you are posting it in 2nd tri. I can assume you are not in the home stretch of 3rd tri yet. Try to be calm, don't assume the worst of your OB until you have a clear and honest conversation with them about what all this really means and how she can help you with not just this but any unexpected birthing situation. Also not many people want c sections but try not to close off your mind entirely it only makes you feel worse if god forbid you have an emeregency that requires one, trust me I have been that No c section woman and then having one puts your "wants" into perspective. Also have you signed up for any natural childbirth classes through your hospital or birth center, they may have ways to assist in this situation, advice, tips. GL it is still early.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Honestly I don't even know what an anterior placenta is!  But you don't need a doula just because you have an issue like this.  You might want to consider one just to help you with labor in general.  But I don't think you should hire one just to protect you from a c-section.  I do know what a posterior baby is and that in NO WAY should mean you automatically need a c-section!  If you're concerned about a posterior birth and sections that's something you should discuss with your doctor.  As far as doulas go I've seen one around here (SC) that's charged $800.  I know my insurance wouldn't cover it (my crappy ins doesn't even cover midwives or birthing centers).  That's more that what I'm paying my dr to catch the baby and since I'm so hard headed I can't trust anyone but myself we decided not to hire a doula. 
  • Options
    I can't offer any advice about the Doula but I did have an anterior placenta with my daughter and had no issues during childbirth. She came out facing the way she "should be" and everything went fine. Good luck to you! :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was told I have an anterior placenta and my midwife was not at all concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"