Baby Showers

Coed baby shower afterparty?

So I'm pretty anti-baby shower, but I'm letting the moms do as the please since it will make them happy. So what I'd love to do is have a coed baby celebration get-together (no gifts) after one of my showers so all our friends can have some actual non-corny fun.

We were thinking of just having a get-together at a local bowling place, we'd pay for the first few games or whatever and people can stay as late as they want (it will be a Sunday) and we'd definitely say no gifts. Just a Facebook invite type of thing. Does this all sound appropriate?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Coed baby shower afterparty?

• I don't think it's inappropriate, but it's a really, REALLY long day for the people who go to both events.  Would the moms be open to just hosting a co-ed shower instead?

• No they wouldn't into a coed shower...and honestly, these showers will not in any way be fun for younger people...my mom and MIL aren't really too hip or creative in these departments lol These are going to be very traditional, high cheese factor showers.

Only a couple of my friends will be at the shower itself...it's mostly going to be for family. I'm the type of girl with a lot of guy friends, so this will be mostly for that type of crowd.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree about it being a long, drawn out day if you try do both on the same day.  Maybe consider having a separate event for that co-ed crowd, not a shower, but kind of like a last fun celebration of your days without dependents.  Bowling, pizza and beer sound like a fun get-together. 

• Whatever you and your friends like to do is completely fine as a fun getogether- but If you're going to specifically say no gifts, just don't call it a shower.  Then it doesn't matter what you do.  I personally am not a fan of facebook invites, but it depends on your group of friends and the level of formality of the get together.  I think you could easily spend less than $10 on premade invites from Target or a party store and still keep it low key.
  • lol yeah I think my friends would actually be really weirded out if I sent real invitations. But we might think about it just for the keepsake factor :)

• I personally think it would be awkward to have an aftershower event where the majority of the guests were not invited to the shower.

It's one thing if the guys go out while you're having an all girls shower and then you meet them later.  But if you're inviting a whole new set of people, why make it on the same day as the shower and make it an "after party" if there is a limited number of overlaps.  Plus, if the moms are throwing a more traditional shower you and guests may want to dress nice, then they would have to bring clothes to change for bowling.

I would just have 2 separate events.  A shower hosted by whomever.  And a last party before the baby comes event that is co-ed and more fun/what you want.  If you frame it as a party, people won't feel compelled to bring gifts either.  And you won't have to say "no gifts."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My friends did this and it was a blast.  The girls had their little girly shower with lots of "oohing and aahing".  Afterwards we all headed over to the "uncle to be"'s house and he had the grill going and we all hung out and ate some food. 

It was nice because we were all dressed up for the girly shower anyway and afterwards it was a nice time to just chit chat.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"