Special Needs

tethered cord

I don't know if I am in the right place....but I was curious if anyone has a child that was diagnosed with this?  My 4 month old daughter had an ultrasound due to a sacral dimple with some hair (I have a very deep sacral dimple...I am talking sooo deep you definitely can not find the bottom of it, but I don't have any form of spina bifida occulta), anyway the ultrasound saw something but they are unsure really what they saw, so she is going to the neurologist and she may or may not have to get a MRI.  I am really worried about sedating her for an MRI, but I know it is done all of the time (I dont even know when they would do it on her).  So I may be jumping the gun on this but I would rather be over informed than not have a clue what is going on when I head to the neurologist next week.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

On top of this she has been having slight nosebleeds (I really wouldn't even call it a nosebleed really but she will have a drop or her snot will be bloody).  So they gave her saline drops and did tons of blood on her.  Only CBC is back which showed a slightly elevated platelet level, waiting on everything else that would shew the big picture.  No nosebleeds since the saline was started so I am still hoping it was just a dry nose. Thanks for letting me ramble, very anxious about all of this :)

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)

Re: tethered cord

• Our DD also had a very deep sacral dimple and her spinal cord was tethered at L4 or L5 (can't really remember) her neuro doc said on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, hers was a 1 but because the cord was tethered so low that as she grew it could cause problems.  She had her MRI done when she was about 9 months old and we did the surgery to "snip" the cord when she was 13 months old.  They did cosmetic surgery on the dimple and while it's still there, it's not as deep.  Her cord was actually tethered higher than the dimple.

For the MRI they gave her gas to sedate her before putting in the IV sedation, she got sick in recovery and again before we left the hospital (we had stuck around to visit a friend) but otherwise was fine after the MRI.  As for her surgery, she was out of it on the day of but perked back up the next day and we were discharged the following day, so only 2 nights in the hospital.

Neuro will explain everything (if they are a good dr.) and the success rate is very high, like 95 98% have no reoccurence that the cord somehow reattaches.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"