Baby Showers
Options

Work Shower for #2 at Hubby's Office? Help!

Hi ladies, I don't normally post over here, but I wanted to get some etiquette advice for a shower being thrown for my hubby today at his work.

With DS, I had one big shower thrown by my parents' church that we invited everyone to... family, friends, etc. I feel so grateful that there are a few smaller showers being planned for DD since she's my second. I was not expecting it at all, and we're so blessed that people were kind enough to think of us.

So here are my questions. DH was in the USMC when DS was born, and so all his "work" friends came to our big shower. He has only worked for this company for a little over a year since he retired in 2010. Therefore, he doesn't know everyone who will be at this shower, except maybe in passing. At first we were under the impression that it would just be his workgroup, but apparently now it's going to include most of the people in his department (which is fairly large). Of course I will be writing thank you notes ASAP, and I was planning on giving them to DH to hand out at work instead of mailing them just to be practical (and that way he could also personally thank everyone for participating). But he doesn't know everyone! I would gladly mail, but I'm concerned it will take too much time to request people fill out a guestbook since the shower is scheduled for an hour at the end of the work day. His office threw a shower a few months back for someone else (both parents worked for the company), and she never sent out thank you notes, which I would never ever be okay with doing!

My second question DH laughed at when I asked him last night. I don't work for the same company. However, we are friends with the coworker "hosting" the shower, and she invited me to come in a little early so we can surprise DH (although he figured it out after he got an invitation in Outlook from his boss to a "group meeting" that only he was invited to Stick out tongue). I told hubby the shower is for HIM, and that he should open gifts. They're his coworkers and I think I should just be there to say thanks and bring the belly. He said no way, it's the woman's job to open gifts at a shower no matter what.

I know these might be silly questions, but I absolutely do not want to come across as rude or entitled, especially to people DH works with every day (and that we occasionally meet up with outside of work)! What do you guys think? TIA Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Work Shower for #2 at Hubby's Office? Help!

• Options
    imageEstwd2:

First, I think you should both open the gifts together. It only makes sense.

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about thank yous until you see who is there today. This might be the type of work shower where a general invite is sent to the whole department, but only people who know the person go. That's how it is in my company. If there are individual gifts and your DH isn't sure who the person is, he can always ask a coworker to point him in the right direction to deliver the thank you. If it's one big group gift, he can send a general thank you to whoever attended/contributed.

The second is what I initially assumed, but DH has been to a few of them now (lots of babies at that company Smile) and he says it's quite a few people, including some people the shower-ed person/people doesn't know. Thanks for the input!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it would be cute for you to attend and just be w/your hubby. I think thank you notes are cool but I plan to bring cupcakes that say thank you on them for all employee's Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Agreed that you should open them together- at my job (a school), the guest of honor is the person we work with... even when it's a man, we lovingly force him to sit in the chair and open the gifts with his wife/fiance or suck it up and do it alone if she didn't attend.  He'll get over it :)

As for the thank you's, I think having DH give them out at work is totally fine- the "invites" were mailed via work email, so the thank you's can be handed out by DH at work, too.  It doesn't need to go in the postal mail.  If he's not sure who someone is, odds are they're not coming or giving a gift anyway.  If they DO, I'm sure there's someone there he knows who can point him in the right direction. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"