Preemies

Why aren't you going back to work?

i left my job when my son was born early. we've been told by his doctor to keep him out of daycare. im fine with that. people ask me all the time why im not going back to work now that he is 20 months. and they say "well, he's not a preemie any more!" it makes me feel like they think im lazy or something, like i just sit around all day on my butt. and it really bothers me that people assume that just bc my son is 20 months old everything is fine and dandy with his health. im so sick of having to explain his health to people! they act like im over reacting. ugh! is it just me?

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com

Re: Why aren't you going back to work?

• People just judge.
    If you went back to work, they'd give you a guilt trip about him being in daycare. You can't please everyone. YOU do what YOU know is right for YOUR family. That's all you can do.

Just smile and say "I can't go back to work. I'd miss my soaps." and walk away. ;)

• it is much harder to stay home!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was fired when I went on bedrest, and we're moving closer to family (in another state) in Dec, so I'm staying home with the kids.

And the pp is right. People will judge both ways. Just tell them y ou're already doing the most important job for you :)

• Until we had our son, I didn't really realize that being a mom is a full-time job.  I'd much rather have that job than hire someone else - and fortunately I can work PT from home and have the best of both worlds.  People should stuff it and yes the same ones that judge you for not working would judge you for working too much or putting DS in daycare etc.

• I decided when I was about 7.5 months pg that I was staying home.  Once I felt DS move I started to get pangs about returning to work so Dh and I sat down and budgeted carefully.  We decided with some sacrifices we could do it and it helped that DH had just finished school so we went from my meager salary only (Catholic School Teacher) to his salary that was double mine.  After the NICU I was sooo glad we made that choice.  Luckily, everyone around me has been supportive.  I am sorry that people have not been the same to you.
  • I went back to work when ds was 3 mo. old.  My ILs watched him at our house so he wasn't in daycare.  It killed me to be away from him for 11 hours a day! Back then, those were his daytime hours so I missed his whole day.  I quit after being back at work for less than 3 months.  I was recently going to take a part time job but it didn't make sense to take it.  By the time, we paid for daycare, taxes, gas, etc.  I'd be missing out on half of his day.  It wasn't worth the little $$.  We realized that he's only young once and that I'll never get this time back.  If you can wing it w/o working, do it.  Yes, its difficult but what an amazing experience to see them grow up.

And to all those people out there that judge... walk in our shoes.  I agree with you... I feel like with some people I have to defend my position. grrrrr!

good luck :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"