VBAC
Options

VBAC in Philadelphia?

I just recently found out we are expecting #2 and I am already looking into a VBAC.  I'm not happy with the first birth and felt the csection could have been prevented if I had more support.  I'm pretty sure I want a midwife this time and would love any info on this or hospitals in the area that are supportive of VBACS, etc.  We live in Delaware County but UPENN is looking to be an option from the very little research I have done so far.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: VBAC in Philadelphia?

• Options
    lkf041lkf041 member
    I'm attempting a vba2c at lankenau.  I have heard a few good things about UPENN as well.  Contact ICAN of Sepa and they can supply you with a list of vbac friendly midwives/ob's.  And congrats on #2!
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm looking too, but not yet pregnant.  I had my first at Bryn Mawr.  According to my OB, they do VBACS, but they will not let you go past your due date and they will not induce AT ALL.  She says it's hospital policy.   So, you can cross that off your list.  Someone said I should try Abington, but that might be too far for you to drive from DC.   The local ICAN chapter should be able to help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lkf041lkf041 member

imagecchill01:
    I'm looking too, but not yet pregnant.  I had my first at Bryn Mawr.  According to my OB, they do VBACS, but they will not let you go past your due date and they will not induce AT ALL.  She says it's hospital policy.   So, you can cross that off your list.  Someone said I should try Abington, but that might be too far for you to drive from DC.   The local ICAN chapter should be able to help.

Couldn't agree more about Bryn Mawr.  I wanted to vbac with #2 and thought I had a supportive doc but found out they don't let you go past your due date, hospital policy.  I ended up having with a RCS at Bryn Mawr, for no reason other than my due date came.

My Ob now will let me go to 41 weeks and possible longer if all checks out well.  I've learned my lesson and have been doing research, etc.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagelkf041:

imagecchill01:

Couldn't agree more about Bryn Mawr.  I wanted to vbac with #2 and thought I had a supportive doc but found out they don't let you go past your due date, hospital policy.  I ended up having with a RCS at Bryn Mawr, for no reason other than my due date came.

My Ob now will let me go to 41 weeks and possible longer if all checks out well.  I've learned my lesson and have been doing research, etc.

I'm glad you found someone at Lankenau.  I was afraid to go there or to Paoli, because I was thinking they would have the same policies since they're in the same health system.  But, I guess I should add them back on to my list to research.

• Options
    I was at upenn they do let you go past your due date my rcs was scheduled at 41wks 2 days. For my vbac I went to penn ob gyn & midwifery care & saw a midwife. They were great but I developed hypertension at the end so when i was at labor & delivery the midwife had to check with the ob on duty for the final say and they recommended a rcs so i didnt have a vbac. Unfortunately at any hospital midwifes have to get the final say from the ob on duty if a risk arises & that ob may not be vbac supportive. They do not induce you have to go into labor on your own. You can move around as far as the cords will let you during labor because you have to be monitored. anywhere you decide to go make sure you ask what their restrictions are & if a risk arises at the end how will they handle such as preemclampsia hypertension etc. I never had highblood pressure so you never know what might change at the end and it may affect their decision to let you vbac. I believe I would have had a vbac with that exception.some providers will try and manage the problem depending what it is some will say rcs . I wouldnt do abington I had my 1st there. I went back for my 2nd preg they allow vbac but are strict. You cant move at all, no inducing, cant go past due date, no midwifes. So I went to upenn. I now know abington has a high csection rate. upenn is supposed to be one of the best for vbacs with a high rate.As pp said check out ican of sepa for a list of hospitals upenn and the office i went to is listed on there!
  • Options
    imagecchill01:
    I was at upenn they do let you go past your due date my rcs was scheduled at 41wks 2 days. For my vbac I went to penn ob gyn & midwifery care & saw a midwife. They were great but I developed hypertension at the end so when i was at labor & delivery the midwife had to check with the ob on duty for the final say and they recommended a rcs so i didnt have a vbac. Unfortunately at any hospital midwifes have to get the final say from the ob on duty if a risk arises & that ob may not be vbac supportive. They do not induce you have to go into labor on your own. You can move around as far as the cords will let you during labor because you have to be monitored. anywhere you decide to go make sure you ask what their restrictions are & if a risk arises at the end how will they handle such as preemclampsia hypertension etc. I never had highblood pressure so you never know what might change at the end and it may affect their decision to let you vbac. I believe I would have had a vbac with that exception.some providers will try and manage the problem depending what it is some will say rcs . I wouldnt do abington I had my 1st there. I went back for my 2nd preg they allow vbac but are strict. You cant move at all, no inducing, cant go past due date, no midwifes. So I went to upenn. I now know they have a high csection rate. as pp said check out ican!
  • Options
    imagecchill01:
  • Options
    lkf041lkf041 member

Funny you mention Paoli, at an ICAN meeting a lady was telling us of her vbac birth story, she vbac'ed at Paoli.  Her doc did give her the restriction of not going past her due date, luckily she didn't.  Not sure if it's hospital policy or not but check into it.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, I will look into ICAN.  I delivered at Crozer the first time and will not go back.  There just doesn't seem to be enough options in Delco for a VBAC with a midwife and I just accepted that this was the hospital I would deliver at the first time around not knowing there were better options.
  • Options

A bunch of the midwives that used to deliver at Chestnut Hill before they closed their maternity ward deliver at Montgomery in Norristown now.  I'm not full term yet, but so far I love my midwife, Ronni Rothman.  She's got a great VBAC track record, too.  Hospital policy at Montgomery for VBACs going past their due date is 41 weeks, at which point my CNM has to induce me (or I can choose an ERCS, which I won't).

I have also read Dr. Bailey at Lankenau is great and I've heard some good things about the midwife group at Pennsylvania hospital, too.   

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    I'm hoping to have a VBAC in Abington. I haven't been given any stipulations...yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I was born at the Birth Center in Bryn Mawr.  IT is right across the street from Bryn Mawr Hospital, so if anything went wrong you would be so close to the hospital.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"