Snarky and T-TTC

Need help with my niece...or just need to vent.

I think I just need to get this out more than anything but if any of you have thoughts, suggestions, experience...well you know I'm always open to those. 

Quick back story...my niece is 15 and the middle child.  Her oldest and youngest siblings were diagnosed with diabetes, within weeks of each other, about five years ago.  This brought A LOT of attention to them while learning to deal with it and she has always been a little left out.  Well over the last year or so that has caught up with her and she is retaliating.  She has run away then came home.  Started using drugs and has done in center rehab twice and is currently in out patient rehab with family counseling.  About two weeks ago she tried to commit suicide, was in the hospital for a week then sent home.  For the last two weeks she has gone on and on about how much better her life is and she is finally getting along with her mom.  (note: her mom is a saint and an excellent mom)  I didn't really think things could be "fixed" that quickly.  Well we just got a call from DH's brother and she has tried to commit suicide twice within the last 24 hours and is in the hospital again. 

My initial reaction to this is that I'm pissed at her, I know that's not a fair reaction and I will never let her know that's how I feel but it is what it is.  I'm mad that she is putting her family through hell right now, a family that is so unbelievably supportive of each other and of her.  I'm heartbroken to see her in pain and the pain it's putting the rest of the family through.  I want to help...I just don't know how.  

Thanks for letting me get that out...

Re: Need help with my niece...or just need to vent.

• Oh man, that is terrible.  I'm so sorry your family is going through all this Gnome.  I really hope that your niece can find some therapist/rehab center that can finally get her the help that she desperately needs.
    TTC #1 Dx: severe MFI
    IVF with ICSI #1: BFP
    TESE for DH 08/09/09
    ER 08/09/09; ET 08/14/09; Beta #1 08/23/09: 150; Beta #2 08/25/09: 267
    TTC #2: FET #1: BFP
    ET 06/16/11; Beta #1 06/25/11: 282; Beta #2 06/27/11: 777
    First u/s: Twins! Baby A stopped growing @ 9 weeks, forever in our hearts
    TTC #3: FET #2: c/p lost at 4 weeks
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I understand the anger. That is one of the most selfish things you can do, and she has attempted it repeatedly. That said, she obviously isn't in her right mind, and needs help. Has she tried any anti-depressants? I guess all you can do is try to support her and her family in any way you can, which you already are. Maybe it would help for you to read up about teen suicide and the why's behind it to help lessen your anger.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you and your family are going through this. It's always hard to understand why people do things that result in ultimately hurting everyone who loves them. I hope that she gets the help she needs. Through some counseling, medication or both. ((hugs))
    imageimage

After 22 cycles and tube removal our IVF miracle has arrived! Detailed IF and IVF info in bio.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • She has been on anti-depressants for a few months now. One of the possible side effects are suicidal thoughts so they are adjusting her meds. I'm hoping that somehow helps, although it's not a cure. DH and I were up late discussing what we can do to help...we just want her happy, healthy, and alive. Her parents are being pretty closed off right now, understandably, but I'm hoping we can get more info in the next few days so we can know what we can do. Thank you all for listening and letting me get that out.
  • Oh man, what a horrible situation.  I agree it sounds like medication is necessary, but I know they can end up having horrible effects on teenagers so that's really hard.  It definitely seems like she needs to be in heavy duty treatment, cognitive behavior therapy, preferably in a treatment center of some sort where she's constantly monitored.  It doesn't sound like she is safe (from herself) living at home. 

I'm sure it's hard to know how to offer help when you can't get much information.  I would definitely let her parents know you're concerned and want to offer support.  I wonder if the whole family would benefit from family therapy.  They could all sit down and get things out in the open and maybe your neice would open up and let them know how to help her. 

((Hugs))

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"