Adoption

Any insight into African adoptions?

This is a cross post from FB again, and as I said on FB, I know I am all over the place.  I've recently decided that foster to adopt is not right for our family at this time and am looking into other options.  If anyone has any experience with adoptions from an African country I would love to hear it.  Both regarding particular country politics and ethics along with adoption agencies.  Thanks for any info you may have.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any insight into African adoptions?

• I used to work in Int'l Adoptions and some of the countries we worked with were in Africa, so I might be able to answer some questions. If you'd prefer you can PM me or just post here. It was several years ago so I know there are some countries with moratoriums on adoption.  The gov't's site on international adoption isn't updated daily, but it does give a good snapshot of what's going on. https://adoption.state.gov/
  • Hey Star :)

We're looking into Haiti and South Africa but it seems there's a lot of strife going on. Ethiopia has no Hague and they have some serious restrictions. We looked into them because they allow under 30s to adopt unlike Haiti. 

We seem to be in the middle zone of being too young and too poor LOL

• Loading the player...
  • If you are not connected to or set solely on Africa there is always a great need for parents for african american newborns in the US. Often times adoption agencies have to turn away or unable to match birth mothers who will deliver a brown baby because there are not enough adoptive parents who are 'open' (cringe) to babies of color (opting to wait for a caucasian baby). 

Just a thought. We were parents to our baby boy in about 5 months from application to baby in our arms.

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"