2nd Trimester

OB or general practitioner for uti?

Hi ladies.

I'm thinking I might have a UTI or some other kind of infection. I'm planning to see a doctor first thing tomorrow morning, but I'm a bit confused about who to schedule an appointment with. For something like this, would you call your OB first and try to see them, or assume it's okay to see your regular doctor?

I'm guessing it's a UTI, don't know for sure. I've had some discomfort in my groin when sitting down (but not actually during urination) and that's what actually made me wonder. As far as other symptoms... what pregnant woman doesn't have frequent urination and back pain at some point? Heh. I bought a UTI test kit which said I'm positive for leukocytes, negative for nitrite, so I figured it's best to make sure.

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for advice! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OB or general practitioner for uti?

• I'd call your OB. My OB is completely incharge of my health right now because I'm pregnant. You'll need something prescribed safe for pregnancy so it's best to stick with the OB.  I felt some strange symptoms last week(stinging while urinating, pelvic pressure, ect.), called my OB and they got me in that day. Turned out I had a uti. They called in a prescription for me.
  • For a UTI I think either doctor is fine. I had a very mild one in the 1st tri and I emailed my OB. She prescribed me antibiotics and it was gone the next day.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• Loading the player...
  • Call your OB and ask them if they want to see you or if you should see regular Dr.
  • Your OB is your PCP when you are pregnant.
    Can't wait to meet our miracle this November!! BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageTheMrsRN:
    Your OB is your PCP when you are pregnant.

This!  it's what i was told when i became pg.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • imageTheMrsRN:
    Your OB is your PCP when you are pregnant.

This is not always so.  A friend of mine is pregnant as well, and recently had a rash.  While AT her monthly appointment with the OB, she brought this up, and they told her she'd have to call her PCP.  I would call your OB and ask them what they want you to do.  Your PCP should still be aware of what is safe for a pregnant woman. 

Love is a gift, not to be denied. IAmPregnant Ticker image Visit The Nest!
  • I have had several throughout my 2 pregnancies and I always go with my OB. Hope you feel better soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • acaveracaver member
    I would call my OB as UTIs are a very common problem during pregnancy and they may be able to fix you up without you even having to go in. 
  • U'd call the ob bc if you see the family dr they're going to tell you to follow up with the ob anyway.  GL I hope all goes well. 
  • Thanks, everyone! I ended up going to my OB and am glad I did. They were very thorough and wanted to do some extra tests to check things. 

Thanks for the advice! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"